“Excellent Neighbourhood Restaurant”

F'Amelia Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
F'Amelia Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #789 of 8,772 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Parliament & Wellesley
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We have eaten here a couple of times now and have very much enjoyed ourselves. F'Amelia is a ten minute drive from downtown Toronto and is located in "Cabbagetown". It is a cozy place with friendly service and the menu, while limited, is quite good. It's mostly pizza and pasta and has a decent wine list, although a few more cost conscious bottles would be welcomed. Overall though, if you are in the neighbourhood or want to venture somewhere new, F'Amelia is a good choice.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, everything was enjoyable. Minor detail things like: the hostess immediately welcoming us, taking our coats and not giving us chits (felt like being greeted in someone's home); the wait staff helped each other when needed (e.g. clearing plates when 'our' waitress was busy at another table; great choices on the menu (but not too many things, signalling they focus on quality, not quantity); extensive wine selection (good by-the-glass options); oh, and the food was scrumptious!! Served at the perfect temperature and everything was either made at the restaurant (e.g. fresh pasta) or bought locally.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We could not get a reservation for 7:30 pm, but 7:45 was available. When we got there, and throughout our disappointing evening, only 1/3 of the tables were occupied...so seriously, we could not go at 7:30?

The wine list starts at $52, not because they don't serve cheap wine, but because they mark it up so much.

There was an assortment of unexciting mains, one of which was osso bucco with polenta. I love osso bucco, but don't eat polenta. Could they serve it with anything else but polenta?
The waiter did not think so, but came back to the table after conferring in the kitchen. "What did you have in mind?", he inquired of me.

"Anything at all other than polenta," I replied. Could be a starch (I started naming the starches that accompanied other dishes on the menu--pasta, potatoes, risotto), or it could be any kind of vegetables. Anything at all, other than polenta."

"I'm afraid we can't do that", said the waiter. "But you could get the osso bucco and not eat the polenta." That was truly helpful. I thanked him superciliously. (So why did you ask me what I wanted, if nothing at all could be served?)

Ultimately, the food was OK. The four of us ate the calamari and scallops appetizers, tagliatelle, risotto, pizza, and gnocchi mains, and the chocolate cake, tiramisu, and cheescake desserts. We had a $56 bottle of cheap, thin wine and we were charged $260 before tip, so around $302 with 15% tip.

The location is good for a resto, and this place was a resto before ownership changed (last year?) and a bit of reno was done. It's sad to think that if they don't change their attitude to something a tad less precious, they too will be handing over the property to another hopeful restauranteur.

The neighbourhood really deserves a wondeful resto in this location. Sadly, this is not it.

1  Thank intrepid1406
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were really looking forward to dining at F'Amelia after moving into the area. Will we go there again? No.

The restaurant was fine. Nothing special. The decor did not excite, amuse, or entertain. It was alright and nothing more. Simply satisfactory; white tile floors; non-descript art on the walls. The vibe was not special and you did not get the feeling that the movers & shakers were present.

When the food arrived, the portions were small and acceptable. Good thing we were there with fun company because the food did not command and maintain our attention. Food came and we ate it. Interesting that we chose F'Amelia because just that day we read a Now Magazine article that ranked the top 20 pizza restaurants in Toronto, then provided four restaurants that were over-priced and under-delivered. F'Amelia was one of the four!

And what really put us out, was that as we were tucking into our main course, the heating was turned down big-time! My wife asked for my jacket to wear, a man at another table put on his sweater, and a woman at the table across from us put on her jacket. The restaurant has a business model of turning the heat off in winter to get the clientelle out!

So bottom-line: $280 dinner for four people without a bottle of wine, in adequate atmosphere, and satisfactory food, where they turned the heat down on you as you were in the middle of your main course. You couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough!

If this review was helpful, please click "YES" below!

Thanks!

1  Thank GarfieldGill
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Was expecting big things from this Cabbagetown establishment with great reviews but was left with mild sauce at best. Salad was overdressed. Farfalle was overdone? The pasta stuck to itself. Didn't bother with dessert. Waiter spoke only to my companion and not to me for some reason (perhaps my complexion was too dark) and curiously made fun of my last name when I paid. I should have just left. Wish that the French restaurant that used to be there was still there. F'Amelia was a huge disappointment. Never will I return.

1  Thank SugarSammy