“Good concept - Bad execution”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Templar Hotel

Templar Hotel
Ranked #83 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Dubai
“Good concept - Bad execution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

I will try as always to be fair in my review, so let me start with the positives:
+ Good location
+ Friendly staff in general (Tom at reception and the 2 ladies)
+ Some nice design elements

Now the negatives (some not witnessed in any hotel we used anywhere in the world!):
(-) Small room for the price
(-) Other staff with a "take it or leave it attitude": hotel deal came with a 330ml Grey Goose vodka - NOT a 200ml Absolut (we complained to another member of staff and agreed to a complementary breakfast instead)
(-) No flip flops, no shower cap
(-) Room not serviced the last day of our stay, despite us reminding the staff twice about it ("Oh, really? No one came to do the room?")
(-) Check-out staff already using the credit card you gave upon check-in to check you out, without giving you the option e.g. to pay part cash (to get rid of extra Canadian dollars for instance), or contest anything
(-) Management ignoring our email feedback

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BecharaYen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed at the Templar Hotel while on business. I selected this hotel due to the proximity to my meeting the next day. As other reviewers have said, there are some features of the hotel that could be perceived as negative. For me; I thought it added to the charm.

For one, it is almost impossible to find the hotel from the street. Our driver had never heard of it, and once you get there, there is no signage to indicate you are in the right place. The name of the hotel is carved into the marble wall near the entrance, but there is no sign or even address visible from the street. Finding this place is a process of elimination.

In addition to the trouble we had finding the hotel, I had trouble finding my room. I haven't seen other mentions of this, but the room numbers are etched into the marble floor boards. Why on earth would I look there? I ended up trying my key on all the doors on my floor until the right one opened.

I was surprised that the bed was on a platform and rather low. At first, I wasn't sure I'd like that, but the bed was extremely comfortable. I was a little nervous that there wasn't an additional dead bolt on the door, so I was never actually sure the door was double locked.

To address some of the things others have said: my room did have a blow dryer and glasses for water. I didn't even notice that there was no phone. Perhaps they have addressed some of the issues in the past year.

The biggest issue I had was with the heavy bathroom door. When getting ready in the morning, I had to open it a dozen times. I would prefer it if they just took the door off. The room is very small anyways; I would only stay here alone or with my husband.

There are ample dining options around the hotel. I stayed on the 4th floor and had no trouble with wifi, although it probably wouldn't have been fast enough to stream a movie (but this is the case with almost any hotel you stay at these days). I didn't try to stream anything from the iPad, that might have been on a different and faster router.

TL/DR The room is minimalist, but clean; it is quite different than other hotel experiences, and you must be open to that to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank shayes915
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Templar one night and wish it could have been longer. The entrance is a bit unsettling with no real signs that it's a hotel, but you are actually in the right place! Check in was much simpler and quicker than other hotels. I stayed on the 4th floor and didn't have any issues with noise. The rooms are small but considering the location and price, I think it's fair. They include an iPad for you though I never found the charger for it. Also has an Apple TV but I'm not sure of the point since you have to use your personal Apple ID for it. The bathroom was gorgeous with marble and multiple shower heads. My favorite part was the bed. It was very comfortable with linen sheets. So comfortable I plan on contacting the hotel to see where I can get them. Hotel is a few blocks from nearest metro but has several great restaurants nearby, including a Thai place that seemed incredibly popular. I will stay here again if in Toronto.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank mainereason
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

We've stayed for a weekend back in december. it is a 4 out of 5 for me as there are some good and some not so good parts. Here are what i loved and what i've disliked:

Like: - The lobby ain't typical, in fact it is small, modern and barely occupying space. i love that they went different since it pulls them apart from all the other brands

- The bed was so ohhh comfy.

- Very well located, you get a lot of restaurants around. plus if you go to a rogers center event like we did, you don't have the fuss of trying to drive around all that crazy traffic after the event.

- Service is really awesome.

- Huge bath, nice modern furniture.

- We were on the 6th floor and even there, the ipad and it's free wifi worked properly. Maybe it was because of our corner room, but i dont think it made a difference.

Dislike: - First, make sure you get the address because the cab driver probably won't know where to go and even when at destination, its a bit hard to tell during the evening.

- Yes, the bathroom door is really heavy.

- Even on the 6th floor room we could still hear the nightclubs' music during the night.

- For what we've paid, we could have gotten a bigger room elsewhere as room space and bed size.

I guess not having a coffee machine in the room would be a bad idea, but for us, we just don't drink coffee anyway. So it wasn't much of a big deal. In all, i would rate my stay a 4 stars out of 5. And sorry, if i do typos as my main language is french.

Room Tip: high floor have a bit less clubs noise during weekends.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bluezombi
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Nice location and great services. Clean and stylish. Remind me about CitizenM in Amsterdam.

However,

1. No sign, might be good for private purpose, kind of like this idea.
2. No coffee machine in the room.
3. No phone and poor WIFI so the iPad in the room for FaceTime isn't very useful
4. Close to a club so very noisy during the night.
5. The bathroom door is somehow very very heavy...
6. The room service menu is out of date... If they want the guest to talk to the chief first before making any choice, why not just list in there, so no waste time on going through the menu...

Overall is a good hotel but not as good as I thought before checked in.

Stayed January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

This boutique hotel takes service to a unique and personalized level. Get used to be called by your first name and to having an actual discussion with the chef (instead of a menu in your room or at the dining room) about what your will have for breakfast, what wine you want for dinner later or what would be a suitable late night snack from room service. Sure this is a hotel but it feels allot like staying at a generous friend's high end urban condo where the people are just being great hosts. This is not a traditional hotel experience but if you are open minded and appreciate bring more of a guest that a customer, this is for you. Stay hip Templar.

Room Tip: go for the side away for the street or the corner rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EHtown
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

First, this is not a hotel for everyone. If you want a usual luxury hotel, go elsewhere. If you want a well-designed, low-key, hip place with a clean design esthetic, this may be your hotel.

(By the way--read all the reviews here. I think some of them may be phony reviews by friends.)

The pluses:
The design and furnishings are modern and quite nice. One reviewer said "soulless," but I think minimalist is a better description.
The bathrooms are terrific (but the toilet is in a small frosted glass stall, so if you aren't comfortable being somewhat visible while you are sitting there, consider another place).
The staff was very pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Not quite bend-over-backward five star, but very good.
The location is a short walk from Queen Street West and old Chinatown as well as from tiff--very nice.

The restaurant was very good, and Roberto is a great chef/host. However, you may be able to get better value in other nearby (expensive) restaurants. The multi-course meal was very good, but not quite great.

A plus/minus: the rooms have no phones because they expect everyone has mobile phones now. If you want to contact the front desk, you do it using the in-room iPad.

Now the minuses:
1. Oh dear lord, you MUST get a 5th or 6th floor room on the south side if you are there on a weekend. Although I managed to sleep through much of it, the music from the club next door reached a stunning crescendo at 2:45 am, just before closing at 3:00, and woke me from a sound sleep. It must have been bone crushingly loud in the club itself. I mean, really loud. I'm afraid that alone would be a deal breaker for me--I'm not a 3:00 am kind of guy, and I don't think I could stay at the Templar again.
2. WiFi service decreases on the higher floors. We started on the 6th floor where the service was poor. I had to sit in the hallway to get email. WiFi on the 3rd floor was much better. (We were relocated to the 3rd floor because of a leak, but that increased the noise of the club, ruining a decent night's sleep. )
3. They're a bit under the right level of service. Two people in a room, only one robe. Come on guys, either don't provide robes, or put enough for everyone on the reservation. They have towels, but no wash cloths. If you put shower gel in your bathroom, you should have wash cloths too, right? Also, when we checked in, our room was missing some electronic equipment. Doesn't housekeeping have a checklist to ensure everything is as it should be? Finally, a coffee machine in the room wouldn't kill you--although since Tim Horton's is a block away, that's not a deal breaker.
4. There is no sign outside, and the hotel is not well known to taxi drivers. Memorize the address so you can get there.

Room Tip: If you stay on a weekend, you MUST get a room high up (5th or 6th floor) and on the south side, as o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple