“A great stay!”

Ranked #78 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Rochester, NY
“A great stay!”
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed at Castlegate Inn on our latest visit to Toronto. We had a wonderful time. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and best of all, the price was superb. The office and housekeeping staff were very friendly. They always remembered our names, and were always eager to assist us when we had a question; something I have never experienced at any other hotel.

Their continental breakfast was simple, consisting of butter croissants, large muffins, and a nice brew of coffee from Timothy’s. The staff frequently replenished the buffet, and made fresh coffee, as some of the guests took extra items to-go.

The inn is quite conveniently located next to Dupont subway station. We prefer driving, but came to realize that transit in downtown Toronto is the way to go. It was wonderful to walk just a few steps to the station, and moments later, be at the CN Tower, and all the attractions, and not have to worry and pay for parking!

All-in-all, this was a great stay, and a bargain compared to the hotels we have stayed at previously. Mind you, this is not the Four Seasons; but the service was superb.

Thank you Castlegate. We hope to see you before the New Year!

• Liked — The staff was wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
19 Thank kyle960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We booked a room at the Castlegate Inn and were placed in Building #203 Room 3.
It looked nothing like what you see online and was at best substandard. The bathroom although clean, needs a renovation very badly. It looked as if a 10 year old had patched the walls and the door was damaged. There was no screen in the one window, no place to hang clothes, cramped space for two people. As far as breakfast goes, forget it unless you are one of the first there and can get a seat. It has very limited seating and is very cramped. That takes place in Building #219. So you have to leave to go even get your breakfast even if you wanted to take it back to your room, but then there was not much space to eat there unless you like eating in bed. Parking? Now that is a joke if you drive anything larger than a Dodge Neon, passage between the two buildings to get to the rear parking area was like threading a needle and definitely needed a steady hand. An extra $20/day for maid service makes this place even less desirable, if that were possible. So if you plan on going for more than a night or two, you need to realize there will be no maid service. Not all was bad, it is very close to Dupont subway station and customer service was exceptional but you have to wonder why this potential for a good B&B is not renovated and made more habitable? But that is for them to decide. I would not recommend this place to anyone and hope enough people start to avoid this place until it is updated and upgraded.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Everything but the customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this place until major renovations/remodeling takes place.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Rons1961

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We had booked into this hotel for 4 nights, but left after two even though we had to pay for the other 2 nights - that's how bad it was! The ceiling in the bathroom was so low, you could hardly stand up in it (and I'm not a tall person!). The bed was old and creaky and the stairs up to the room were very narrow and not good for bringing suitcases up to. The breakfast room was very cramped and we had to ask for food as there was none left when we arrived for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank KIreland
Toronto
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I was put in room 2 of the property at #203. Tiny room, tinier bathroom. No screens on window; no air conditioning, so the window has to be open, but the mosquitos are having a feast at my expense. The street is noisy, and as a single woman, I feel a bit vulnerable with an open window. My belongings also seem vulnerable when I'm not here, and the owners disclaim responsibility for theft. I can close the window, but not secure it. The Website shows a cozy room with wallpaper, and a bedside lamp. I can live without the wallpaper, but there is completely inadequate lighting, and no bedside lamp. The bedsprings squeak when I breathe.

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank travelinglibrarian2
Auckland
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I really enjoyed my stay there. The Inn consists of three beautiful victorian looking houses on Spadina Rd, which are all very close to the Subway station and convenience stores. Each room has a private bathroom, a mini Fridge, a microwave and a TV. The building is very quite and is well kept. It is great value for $75CAD. The staffs are also very friendly and very helpful, which is always a bonus.

• Liked — Great Location and Great Service
  • Disliked — Room in third floor, so ceiling a bit low, but the last room I stayed in was great
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
21 Thank GreenTea1984
Detroit
Reviewed August 17, 2006

During my recent two week visit to Toronto I enjoyed staying at the Castlegate Inn Bed and Breakfast (219 Spadina Road). My room was super clean. And despite my twin-bed and room being small (I booked a single), I was still comfortable. Since this was my forth trip to Ontario, it seems to me that the standard for a B&B, is small sleeping quarters with rather firm mattresses. Not cool for me.
But to compensate for a tiny room and bed, I enjoyed having a full washroom with a huge tub. Very cool! I also enjoyed the sunny private front porch where I sat to read or write during the day.
A few things you should know about Castlegate that are on the negative side. One, the breakfast is not included in the rate. You must pay an extra $3 a day. In my opinion, it’s not worth it. They only had a weak variety of fruit and pastries with coffee or tea. You can get pancakes/biscuit, sausage/bacon, and orange juice/coffee for $3 at McDonald’s or Burger King, which is walking distance from the B&B. Or, you can do like I did. Since I was staying for 14-days, I went to the local grocery store, and stocked up.
As far as room decor, I wasn't impressed. It is rather boring and lacks color, but I always bring my own things from home if I'm traveling for long periods of time (see pics). If you like a big screen TV, sorry, the one in my room was a mere 13-inches, but the sattlelight cable was a plus. The best qualities about my room was the mini-fridge (which was rather large…awesome!) and large microwave (...more awesome!). Plus, as mentioned, the full washroom was wonderful.
Another down side of the Castlegate, is the temperature. July was very hot and humid in T.O. Fortunately, I had a room with AC. Some rooms do not. Yikes! I would have baked! Be sure to request a room with AC if you are traveling in the summer months. Lastly, on the negative side, there are no elevators, and if you stay on the third floor like I did, you’ll have to haul your luggage up 3 flights of stairs. Better do your push-ups!
If you bring your lap top, their highspeed internet service is superb. It cost $5 a day or $25 a week. This rate is much cheaper than the local cyber-cafes.
The two best aspects of the Castlegate Inn are the cleanliness of the entire facility and the front desk staff. They were professional and courteous every day. Specifically, the front desk manager, Michael. He is outstanding. He became my tourism guide and was kind and helpful when I needed directions. I had no problems checking in or out. He helped me better understand Toronto’s subway system. Plus he was efficient, thorough, and super friendly.
Hospitality is one of my top priorities when traveling. There is nothing worse than staying at a so-called five-star hotel or B&B, paying top dollar, only to be treated rudely by the staff. I stayed at another B&B last summer and their rates were twice the rate of Castlegate Inn. They served a full breakfast, yet you had no private washroom or telephone! And it was light years away from downtown (Islington House B&B in Humbervalley).
So, overall, if I had to grade Castlegate Inn, I would give them an A for awesome!

20 Thank DetroitBabe
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We stayed at the house on 219 Spadina and felt it was excellent. Off street parking available and helpful staff. Our room had a nice balcony so you could sit out and enjoy the view and quiet neighborhood. The rooms were clean with a fridge, tv and microwave. One of the better Bed and Breakfast's I have stayed at by far. This will be my premiere lodging for Toronto events for many reasons.

The house was literally minutes from the very clean and efficient subway system. Tons of local shops and restaurants within walking distance. You can leave your room and go each direction and experience Toronto on so many different positive levels. We stayed a week and there was still not enough time to see it all!

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful driving down the alley for the off- street parking