“Great coffee...”

Ranked #30 of 365 Coffee & Tea in Toronto
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed February 14, 2013

A little on the expensive side but they make a very good cup of coffee.
Muffins are healthy so make sure you get a glass of water to help swallow!
Shared table with good wifi.
Good service but don't expect them to be too friendly.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a coffee addict. I like it strong. I like espresso. As an Spanish person, we like drinking our coffee strong and aromatic. This is the place to come. Their espresso and macchiatos are delightful.
The atmosphere is relaxed and cozy. Really big communal tables and smaller ones. Great design. It became a meeting spot for us.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

OK, so I don't drink coffee, so how would I know if Dark Horse is any good? Well, first of all, the locals of the surrounding Leslieville neighborhood flood this place. Secondly, my wife, who does love coffee, had nothing but superlatives to offer in response to the cappuccino she drank there. What can I tell you about her cappuccino?

Well, I saw a picture recently of a beautiful cappuccino where the barista had made the most beautiful floral decoration in the foam atop the drink. Another person looking at this photo grumbled, "you'd never see that at Starbucks! The kids who work there would never bother doing anything as special as that!" Well, whatever you think of Starbucks, I will just tell you that at Dark Horse, they DO do that kind of special work. My wife's cappuccino had a lovely floral design atop it.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stopped in after lunch for a coffee. This was my first time to visit Dark Horse and I was very impressed with the atmosphere and decor. The spacious interior was very nostalgiac with comfortable seating and presented a pleasant place to hang out. The service was quite good and the coffee was terrific. I will look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've had a difficult time finding decent espresso coffee in North America. You really have to look (although that's part of the adventure)!

I've been to both the Entertainment District and Chinatown locations and both were great. Had a doppio espresso at both. Coffee was full of flavour. Not sure what beans they use - but I approve.

If I had to pick one location over the other; I'd say the Chinatown location. Better selection of food + larger, more vibrant location. That being said, if you're looking for somewhere to settle with the paper, the Entertainment District basement bar was pretty cosy.