“Pleasant Brunch”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughter and decided to go for lunch on a Saturday afternoon at the spur of the moment. We wandered along Baldwin Street with no real plans and happened upon this restaurant. We didn't know what to expect but studied the menus posted outside and decided to give it a try. We were slightly disappointed to find out after being seated that we could only order from the brunch menu...not the lunch menu but we decided to stay. We stayed downstairs as the upstairs was quite noisy with a large party of loud voices so I can't comment on decor.

There was only one waitress on duty and she was constantly on the run up and down the stairs. That said, the service she offered was still very good. She remained pleasant despite the fact that she was run off her feet.

The brunch menu was very limited so we felt there were not enough choices but the food that we did order was very good. I doubt that we will return on a weekend afternoon. We might try dinner on another occasion. One point that annoyed me a bit was that another party (appeared to be regulars) came in while we were eating and asked to order from the dinner menu...they were told "yes". It made me feel a bit like a second class citizen. However, the overall experience was a good one.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Ell m'a Dit brings French cuisine to Baldwin Street! The Alsatian menu offers one of a kind brunch, lunch and dinner menus. From home made pizzas (tarte flambees) to home made head cheese, this cozy restaurant offers something new to try. Portions are small but tasty. Service was on par for restaurants in the area.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I enjoyed a weekend brunch before visiting the AGO. I had a BLT sandwich with avocado, and bacon. It was delicious. Home fries were yummy. The salad was especially lovely. Coffee espresso was delicious.

Highly recommend this French restaurant delight!!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I tried Elle M'a Dit when it first opened up and haven't been back. It's not that it was so bad but it wasn't as good as I would've liked. I'd just gotten back from France and was dying to try this place because of the tarte flambee. Funny thing is that I ended up having a sandwich from their lunch menu. It would've been much better had the bread (from Marc Thuet) not been so toasted. The roof of my mouth was pretty much torn to shreds after a couple of bites which made for an unpleasant experience. It was a while ago that I ate here so ind of difficult to remember any real details but what I do recall was that nothing really stood out, so we decided to skip the dessert round and have it somewhere else. I don't know whether this place has improved but I did notice it is still there so hopefully things are better. I would go back one of these days as there were other items on their limited menu I wanted to try, such as the skatefish (one of my faves).

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The tartes are essentially super thin pizzas and I thought they were very good. Price point was a bit higher than expected. Wanted to try more of the mains and will likely do so on a return visit to get a better sense of what Alsatian food is. Staff was great.