“Pretty good”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
San Francisco, California
“Pretty good”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The tartes are essentially super thin pizzas and I thought they were very good. Price point was a bit higher than expected. Wanted to try more of the mains and will likely do so on a return visit to get a better sense of what Alsatian food is. Staff was great.

• Visited May 2012

Toronto
“Unusual Alsatian cuisine downtown”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The "Tarte flambe" is a must try - it's the best and most unique dish we tried here. The apple tarte flambe is also exceptional. It is like a paper thin pizza - delicious savoury or sweet! So this translates as - we had a great start and a terrific finish. What's in between? We tried at least three of the dishes on the menu - the scallops and pork belly, quite good and certainly an unusual combination; the Baeckeoffe & salad, an Alsatian meat casserole of beef, lamb and pork with potato, unique flavour and taste; the sauerkraut with grilled pork loin, pork belly, smoked sausage, fingerling potato, not particularly impressive. But prices are reasonable and some of the food is quite unique. We'll try it again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank rarecat
“Alsatian”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a small Alsatian restaurant on Baldwin street. We went for lunch.There is a bar downstairs and a couple of tables and a few tables upstairs. The decor is mostly wood and pleasant.
My husband had a schnitzel sandwich on lovely Tuet bread and small crispy fries. I had well prepared tuna (raw in the center, excellent) served with a mix of interesting well seasoned vegetables and a small salad.
For desert my husband had an apple tart, made on paper thin dough , delicious.
I had Tiramisu. It was much too rich ,too much mascarpone not enough biscotti and definitely not
enough coffee taste. My cup of coffee tasted like the coffee had been sitting for a while.
I guess one should not order an Italian dessert in an Alsatian restaurant.
They also have a large choice of Alsatian style pizzas, again made on literally paper thin dough.
We will return and check out their dinner menu.
The service was friendly but a bit too efficient. The waitress was a bit too eager to clear the table. When one person is still eating the table should not be cleared. It was the end of the lunch hour and I think they were anxious to tidy up.
They have a nice choice of exclusively French wines, by the glass or the bottle. They also serve 4 kinds of beer.

• Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“great for a light lunch”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A very nice addition to Baldwin. We went for lunch, and the four of us had a variety of sandwiches, a salad, and one of the pizza like tartes. Portions are a bit on the small side, as others have noted. We had very fast and attentive service. However, the restaurant wasn't packed at the time since it was raining just a bit. The menu is Alsatian, so a bit different than the other "French" places on the block such as Cafe Gaffe and Midi around the corner. We were seated in the one indoor booth on the ground floor, which was pleasant.

• Visited October 2012
Toronto
“Elle M'a Dit: N'allez pas!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had reservations for 7 pm and arrived promptly. Escorted upstairs, where it was a) hot and b) noisy. In case you doubt me, one of my dining companions has an App that picks up the ambient decibel level which oscillated between 85 and 90.
First, we had to decide on wine. There are only 4 choices for white. We chose the Sylvanner, a nice Alsatian white. When I requested the Sylvanner, our server, henceforth known as Grumpy, corrected my pronunciation to "Sylvaneeyay" (wrong). She disappeared for 10 minutes and returned to tell us that the Sylvaneeyay was finished. We ordered the Pinot Gris (very nice!) and then, as we were about to order our food, tells us the nightly specials. Recurrent Toronto Server Mistake #1! Tell the nightly specials before the patron has studied the menu and decided what to have.
So we ordered our food, poured the wine, and...waited. And waited. After about 30 minutes our appetizers arrived, including a cheese plate with 4 little crackers on it. The Decibel App diner asked for a few more crackers. Grumpy left and never brought the crackers. When she took the ravished appetizer away, I helpfully told her that I guess she didn't have to bring the crackers after all. Squint eye from Grumpy!
After another eternity, I ventured downstairs to speak to the manager. To my horror I was told that Grumpy was the manager! Trembling, I told her that it really was taking a long time. She gave me Squint eye #2 and said "Well, the restaurant is full!". I offered that if the kitchen can't cope with a full restaurant they should either get some more help or cut the number of tables. Third dirty look! She said she was going to find out what time our food order went in.
I retreated to our hot/noisy upstairs room. Grumps came over and triumphantly announced that our food order was entered at 7:20 pm.
To which I replied "Yes, and it is now 8:50".
Now gentle reader, would you agree that a reasonable rejoinder might be "You're right, 90 minutes is a long time, let me get you some bread." or something similar? Do you want to know what Grumpy said? Honestly?
"No, it's 8:45 according to the kitchen clock".
The food did eventually arrive, and it was done well. Of course, one of our group of 4 got her dinner about 10 minutes after everyone else ("the restaurant is full!") and was still eating when - Recurrent Toronto Server Mistake #2! - they cleared away everyone else's dishes. Suddenly our servers are in a hurry.
Chef, you have a wonderful concept for a restaurant, but you have to get your house in order.

• Visited September 2012