“Just OK”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I really wanted to like this place and had high hopes but a few things were just off about the whole experience. The service was great for the most part and brunch offered a good selection but for the price, I expected better food. I had the grilled cheese and it was no better than I could accomplish at home for far less than $13. The fries were tasty but largely cold. My biggest annoyance though was the Caesar...if you're going to add something different to a classic cocktail, please advertise it. Whatever twist they add, it's awful and I couldn't drink it...and I'm not a picky person when it comes to Caesars!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great vibe, cool place, good food and the service was ok. Not the best service but definitely not the worse, just ok. There were quite a few vegetarian options which makes me happy and the non veg brunch options looked great as well. I would go again.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Good spot just south of Bloor if you don't want to eat along Bloor street/Yorkville area. Lots of choice from vegan, to gluten free to great meats (burgers looked delicious). Set in an old house, creaky floors and lots of art-nice setting. We were a mixed group including vegans and sciliacs so menu had something for all. Nacho starters are real good-different seasoning than standard nachos (only complaint was avocado looked a little brown). Salads all around and they were very good. Santa fe bowl was quite hearty but was surprised that all the ingredients were "segregated" to their respective areas on the plate-thought that was odd. Quinoa risotto also very good. Full bar and fresh juice options. We'd go back.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

In an old house on Church St, a couple blocks south of Bloor, two levels, main and second floor, and a patio out front weather permitting (will it ever permit again, moans Toronto in March 2014) Lola's Kitchen delivers the goods. First off, nice cocktails, sometimes very innovative. You're there with a non-alcohol friend. Lola's has fresh pressed fruit juice concoctions, different ones each time I've been. Vegetarian? You will not be bored. Vegan, there's a choice or two for you. My personal favourites: fritters and a salad (choose small, the big "dinner" size might be dinner for two!) to start, Israeli couscous with falafel as a main, and something for desert, they are all good, let your server choose, you can't go wrong. And speaking of servers: friendly, real, funny, and yes good at their chosen work. Nice wine list, reasonable prices, reservations a good choice, unless you want to sample a cocktail or two at the small bar while you wait.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Everything about our visit was perfect except the food was cold; all four of us had a different hot brunch item. Service was great, taste of the food was great, atmosphere was great, but all 4 meals were cold and it only bothered my bro enough to send his back. I spent most of my life in Hospitality so if I can pass on 2 things to the kitchen that would have made this an amazing experience. 1) boil the water first that you use in your steam tables, first person in kitchen in a.m. put large pots of water on stove to boil right away. If you rely on the water that comes out of the spout and the coil to then heat the water; food is gonna be cold. 2) invest in a plate warmer or put the plates in the oven to heat them. These 2 steps would have made all the difference. In the grand scheme of things it actually didn't affect our experience too much because it tasted great and we really enjoyed our brunch. Definitely would return!

1  Thank Greg D