“Delicious and authentic Chinese cuisine...”

Crown Princess Fine Dining
Ranked #701 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 23, 2013

There are not many Chinese restaurants in downtown Toronto if you want fine dining. I went with my friend since we both work downtown and this is very convenient for both of us. I usually go to the restaurant for dim sum and lunch which I just love. This is the first time that I have dinner in this restaurant. The dishes are very well presented and the quality of the food is superb!! Since we are both Chinese, we really appreciate the details the chef did in the presentation but most importantly, the quality of the food. The prawn and broccoli dish is cooked to perfection in which you can taste the freshness of the seafood. We have the baby pea leaf with these super delicious mushrooms which is to die for. The service is very attentive. The prices for the dishes is very reasonable for a downtown restuarant and we highly recommend this restaurant. The only suggestions is to have more than 2 people so that you can taste more dishes since Chinese cuisine is such a sharing event....

There are newer reviews for Crown Princess Fine Dining

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch and it certainly had the authentic feel with large numbers of Chinese and Taiwanese families having lunch and mandarin the most spoken language in the room. We had a selection of Dim Sum and everything was delightfully tasteful.

My only reservation are the more 'high end' dim sum on offer. Dim sum and foie gras work, but should they ever be served together in the first case?

I think if you can make great dim sum, and I found the traditional one's excellent, then there is no need to top them with caviar or foie gras. I tried them, I liked them, but I just don't think they should be together.

Stick to the basics and you won't be disappointed, or puzzled. The decor is elegant and the atmosphere in tune with what one would expect.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Being from Taiwan, I've been a Chinese food/dim sum snob when it comes to service and presentation. I agree one can find good tasting Chinese food in Toronto easily but the way things are prepared and presented are just not the same. Crown Princess did exceed my expectations for its delicately made dim sums--finally a place where the dim sums are made with details and are in the same sizes. The food is very delicious as well. I went with my colleagues, most of them having dim sum for the first time, and were all impressed (except for chicken feet which no one dared to eat other than me...). I then returned with my boyfriend for dinner which serves only dishes, not dim sum. The dishes were really well-cooked and tasted great. On top of all, they were all presented very nicely. We had crispy beef strips (so tender), Portuguese style duck, and a veggie dish with enoki mushrooms, asparagus wrapped with tofu as well as lotus on the side.

One area of improvement is the service. While the actual service is great, the servers should let the customers know the dishes being presented. For example, when I went with my colleagues for dim sum, we ordered about 20 dim sum and the servers did not tell us what is what when bringing the orders, making me very confused--especially when some of my colleagues didn't eat pork. I would greatly appreciate it if the lunch servers can let the customers know the name of the order when bringing them to the table.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

When I last reviewed this restaurant, the food was exceptionally good so we didn't mind paying the considerably high price to eat here for special occasions. Last night, when we visited with some non-Chinese friends for our annual Chinese New Year get together, the food was average at best and the service, non-existent. It definitely wasn't worth the $85 we paid per couple given that the waiter opened up the bottle of wine we bought and put it back in the ice bucket instead of pouring it. It wasn't like we didn't pay $25 for the corkage. If they don't like us bringing our own wine, they should say no when we asked. But to not serve it was rude and uncalled for. We didn't see the waiter all evening although we beckoned, he would come. Not a word of thanks when we left even though we still paid the 15% gratuity that they don't deserve. We wouldn't go back even if the food were not overpriced.

2  Thank rarecat
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was my first experience with dim sum and my first trip to Toronto. I thought the food we ordered was good (shrimp dumplings, turnip cakes, etc.). Since my friends had dim sum before and picked all of the items to order I was really relying on their likes and tastes. They both commented that it wasn't a traditional dim sum in that there were not carts - we ordered off a dim sum menu (the other menu wasn't available until after 11). The decor was elegant and the service was adequate. Overall a fun and fancy experience for a first try of dim sum.