“Good Chinese in Yorkville”

Lee Chen Asian Bistro
Ranked #388 of 8,509 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Toronto, Canada
“Good Chinese in Yorkville”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm usually pretty picky about Chinese food since I'm Chinese and had some pretty amazing food while I was living in China and every time I went back to China, so some stuff, I know how they're supposed to taste or rather, not supposed to taste.

I got the Dealathons $19 for $40 worth of food for Lee Chen Asian Bistro (not sure why it says Diner though), the atmosphere is really nice, and clean - quite unlike the usual fare at Chinatown. My friend and I ordered Shanghai soup filled dumplings, pan-fried dumplings, fried doughnut stick, king oyster mushrooms with pea shoots, Taiwan Spicy Beef Noodle Soup, Tang Yuan and two bubble teas.

Food:
-The food was really good, it's comparable to Asian Legend, and the soup filled dumplings is way better than Ding Tai Fung, the dumpling's skin is suitably thin and filled with soup - although it's a little bit smaller than the usual but it's ok given the location.
-The fried donut was pretty good, crispy and not too oily, and the soy sauce that came with it - I think it had some ginger and sugar that made it taste so good.
-The king oyster mushrooms with pea shoots is fresh, and the pea shoots is green so it's not overcooked.
-And the noodle soup is very tasty, the noodle chewy, the beef tender.
-Tang Yuan is exactly like the Ningbo Tang Yuan that my dad makes and you can taste that it's freshly made.
-Bubble teas - I heard it's a Taiwan restaurant, so no surprise there that their bubble teas and beef noddle soup is excellent.

The service:
Very friendly and attentive service - again, better than Chinatown. The food came out fairly quickly.

Atmosphere: Clean and inviting, the kitchen is open concept so you can see the chefs - which I find is a good thing

Location: Very good since it's downtown.

Price: Since I had the coupon, I find it is a good deal, if however, you don't have a coupon, it is still good given its location in Yorkville.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Seininya

Abbotsford, Canada
“Good food but not served the same with a voucher!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Got a couple of vouchers from dealfind for Lee Chen Asian Diner. Food was very good, atmosphere pleasant, nice furnishing. Service was prompt, and pleasant. We had General Tso chicken which was served on a bed of crispy fried vermicelli noodles (very nice), snow peas with king mushrooms, which was not salty and braised fried tofu with bamboo shoots and mushrooms - quite nice. However, we did not get peanuts as a starter nor fortunate cookies at the end with our bill. We noticed other tables did - presumably we were dining with a voucher!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank lowa88
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent food and nice atmosphere~”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This restaurant...... Speechless. You HAVE to try to experiment it. Food is remarkable, price is reasonable, and the service is simply "applaudable"!! Almond Fish, Xiao Long Bao, Wuxi rib, these are the MUST! Try it!!!

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank MOT2
Toronto, Canada
“What ribs! And good price.”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We heave eaten dinner here three times since it opened and have been overwhelmed by the food and the service and somewhat spartan, but smart decor. However, they are not overcrowded so I hope they survive. Maybe they are busier at lunchtime.
We havethe One Dish specials - I had the Wuxi spare ribs, which are out of this world - best ribs ever- and my wife had the Shanghai meat balls, also delicious. As a starter order the soup dumplings (Xiao long bao), which are mouth-wateringly tasty.

I recommend this restaurant very highly, and prices are extremely reasonable. Only criticism is the very sparse wime list by the glass. They ought to have a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio as well as the chardonnay. But that is a minor quibble.

• Visited January 2012
4 Thank What
San Francisco, California
“Contemporary Asian Teahouse; Good Food in Yorkville neighborhood; Convenient Location”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I was eager to find a reasonable (and Asian) dining option in the Yorkville area when I shop @ anthro quite regularly. *sigh*

So i was excited to see Lee Chen on the Yorkville radar.

I came here for lunch today; it's steps from the Bloor TTC and the restaurant is huge.
Contemporary Asian Teahouse is the best way to describe it.
The prices here are reasonable, albeit higher than the usual Chinatown fare; but this ain't Chinatown folks...it's the borderline snooty Yorkville.

Had the Shanghai Dumplings (xiao long bao) steamed in a bamboo basket, and freshly made to order. The dumplings were quite delicious; delicate skin, savory filling with a drop of soup in the dumpling.

I also had the Shanghai Spicy Stewed Beef Noodles. I dumped a ton of chili in the soup coz i like it extra spicy...and it was delish.
The noodles tasted handmade, the soup was yummy and the generous pieces of beef were tender and flavorful.
The bowl of noodles was Huge.

Service was good; efficient, friendly, nice.
I'd come back for lunch with friends to try various dishes.
Highly recommend for the area.

• Visited December 2011