“Very fishy & delicious!”

Diana's Oyster Bar & Grill
Ranked #1,712 of 8,473 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Toronto, Canada
“Very fishy & delicious!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

At lunch today, we tried out this seafood place for the firts time. I ordered the Fish Sandwich of The Day (a generous serving of halibut in a foccachia bun) while my wife chose the Fettuccini with Salmon. Both turned out to be very tasty, though the servings were too big. So we had almost half of each meal put in doggie bags for enjoying some other time at home.

The nautical decor is minimalist but bright and pleasant, the friendly staff quite efficient, though prices were a tad expensive for the strip mall type location on Lawrence Avenue, east of Warden, in the middle of Scarborough. Lots of free parking available (at least around lunchtime) around the restaurant is a bonus. Based on our first visit, we definitely will return to try some of the other "fishy" items on the menu.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank curtiejoe

Toronto
“Unexpected seafood gem”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Located along a stretch of Lawrence Avenue known for strip plazas and used car lots, Diana's is an unexpected gem of a restaurant, with fresh seafood at its finest. There is limited seating, though there is also an oyster bar and a decent-sized patio out the front. The view is of, well, strip plazas and used car lots, but the food more than makes up for the scenery. I recommend the clam chowder!

• Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Thanks to Diana's, our Mother's Day was a total bomb!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We went to Diana's for the first time, our large party of 10, on Mother's Day. First impression was there is no room at the entrance to accommodate more than 6 ppl comfortably and the washroom entrance is right there so people waiting to be seated are blocking people who need to use the washroom.

Another thing that really stood out was the owner was running around like crazy, playing host, table cleaner, food server, etc. - he should have enough staff on hand to look after all this - especially on a special occassion. It gave off a very disorganized feel. Now on to the food. Where do I begin....I read all the reviews first before even booking at this restaurant and they were all good. That just added to our extreme disappointment.

Our server was FANTASTIC - "Opel" - very informative, friendly and fast. Great service from Opel - thank you! Wish the food was as good as the service.

The restaurant was extremely noisy - and because it's right near the kitchen door, the banging of dishes and clatter was a regular occurence. The table near us had a child's game being played on a smartphone and you could hear that all over the room - we had to ask them to turn it down - which they did - thankfully!

As for the food, 5 out of our party of 10 got food poisioning that night - if they weren't vomiting up their dinner, they had stomach cramps with diarreah. No. 1 big turn off of a new restaurant! Could have been someone touching the food whose hands were not clean or could have had some cross-contamination - I don't know why - all I know is 5 of our party were sick that night.

Three in our party ordered the clam chowder - they were not impressed with the oil slick sitting on top of the soup and two of them didn't finish it. Two of our party ordered the $65 Seafood Platter after seeing it on someone else's table - the platter was missing the main attraction - the whole canner lobster on top - the waiter was alerted and they apologized and brought one out in about 5min - the lobster was missing a whole claw! The best meat! They only charged us $59 for the platter, I guess minus $6 for the missing claw?

One of my children ordered a glass of milk - she couldn't drink it, said it had a funny taste. When I smelled it I quickly realized the milk was sour! We returned it and they took it off our bill (uh, yeah!) We had one person in our party who cannot eat fish so she ordered the steak. The only steak on the menu was a surf & turf - steak with shrimp. She asked if she could have a little bigger steak with a side vegetable for the same money, instead of the shrimp - they said "no". They cooked her steak on the same grill as they cook the fish so her steak had a fish taste to it. Thumbs down to the chef on that one.

They decided on having a Mother's Day Menu but were not willing to veer from it at any stretch. I get that it's a seafood restaurant but most seafood restaurants have some dishes that don't contain fish. You have to allow at least two selections on the menu to accommodate people who don't eat fish who are with a group. The mussels on the seafood platter were cold - ice cold - when they are so cold that they're hard, they have NO TASTE to them and were rubbery. Our shrimp in the seafood platter were partially frozen, and hard. They were overcooked and chewy. They looked really good, but as soon as I bit into it - turned off.

Our bill totalled $400 not including the tip - which they decided to add to the bill AND they calculated the tip including the tax! Sorry to say, but we should've gone to a restaurant we were familiar with and most likely only paid half of that. Unfortunately when you have a total thumbs down experience at a new restaurant - they don't get a second chance.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Shelley6274
Toronto, Canada
“ok seafood, small but quaint place"”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

When we ate here, I didn't bother looking at the reip advisor reviews fisrt which I usually do before eating somewhere. To my surprise ,we were seated in about 15 minutes, we came at around 5:30 pm. This place is am little deceiving at first ont he ouside, I thought it was much bigger , and when we were finally seated, the dining room was ratehr small, about 10 tables, they were clever to convert the patio into a heated dining area to utilize the space. The ambience could ahve been better as the tables were closely seated, it was rather noisy with the other diners closely sitting by,...I noticed everybody looking at each other's food as they started arriving.
The banquettes were comfortable, the granite tables were clean , the washroom cleverly designed and clean, and the hostess was the best as she was servcie with a smile and friendly, our server could ahve been more servcie oriented.

I found myself asking for my water refilled 3 times from our server and she did not seem that focused compared to the other servers. She didn't try and upsell us with the oysters nor did she recommend anything to try. Did not recommend any dessert either. I had to ask the hostess if we can order dessert. To me, service is key to a successful restaurant, this is the first thing we look at next to the food served. I found her doing this with other tables though.

Nevertheless, the food was fairly good, there is a fish market next door that the own.My steak was cooked well texture wise, but slightly bland, they only had worcestershire sauce, no A1 sauce etc available. The bread should be bigger servings and should be also served with butter. The sea breen was great,a s per my husband.

Prices were not as competitive compared to neighjboring similar priced restaurants.
They should have black cod/sable fish in the menu...this fish is my fave ...it states in previous reviews on trip advisor they had it.
We would come back but would not be in a hurry to. Perhaps scope out similar style restaurants in Toronto first.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank adventuregirl1111
Toronto
“The best seafood restaurant in the city!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Diana's Seafood has been a staple in the Scarborough area for almost 30 years. As the local fish monger they know a lot about the quality fish they sell. What better idea than to open a restaurant featuring the fantastic products that they sell.

The oyster bar is quaint but fantastically staffed. We have been 1/2 dozen times and have been thrilled with everything we have eaten. The staff are knowledgeable and fantastic.

One of our first visits was extremely memorable as Diana herself sat next to us at the oyster bar and proceeded to share her meal, on her own fork I might add, with my son and the rest of the family. It was like dining with a favourite Auntie or Nona.

I would highly recommend this restaurant. Keep in mind that they do not take reservations unless your party is 8 or more and there is usually a line up after 7pm.

Enjoy!!