“Great Seafood...including Fish and Chips...and they serve Halibut”

McNies Fish & Chips
Ranked #1,908 of 10,305 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Neighborhood: Islington-City Centre West
Description: The best fish and chip restaurant we've ever found!
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Last month I wanted some fish and chips and went to Mc Nies and ended up ordering the seafood platter and it was simply amazing. Being from the East Coast of Canada I like to think I know a thing about deep fried seafood.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank PatBob56

Reviewed June 15, 2016

Tried a variety of dishes recently. Delicious halibut and haddock, very large pieces of fish - very generous amount of chips as well (haddock & chips @ $9.99 is an excellent value). The pickled beets are wonderful, cole slaw is very tasty - the "small" size of these side orders is again, quite generous, and an excellent value at $2.19. Onion rings were good as well. You can phone in a take out order and advise what time you'd like to pick up. Staff were pleasant. Handy parking. Looking forward to trying some of the "Traditional Fare" (mushy peas, steak and onion pie, haggis, Scots meat pie).

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed March 7, 2016

Used to be a regular and it was always good. In town on March 7th dropped in and nothing had changed. Halibut & a few was very tasty. Dad's Root Beer in a chilled glass with ice was great. Décor is quite tired but clean and very friendly staff. Joey was attentive and the dinner was served quickly. I have a bad knee and the stairs to the washroom in the basement was a bit of a challenge.

Date of visit: March 2016
1  Thank Clarkwaynewinter
Reviewed February 24, 2016

3 of us dropped in for dinner to our local fish n chip restaurant. We have gone there several times over the years. I don't remember posting a review so I thought I would.
We all halibut and chips. My wife had a small order. I had one piece of fish.
The fish is nicely battered and is a generous portion. It comes with a huge amount of fries (chips).
The side order of slaw regular size is also very generous.
Halibut, chips and slaw was about $14 or so.
You can get haddock for a little less.
This restaurant is not licensed but they have a variety of soft drinks including a couple of cool options.
Check out their web page for a complete menu.
They have great onion rings and some tasty meat pies as well.
How could I almost forget to mention that the service was wonderful?

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

Fries: not fresh cut. Frozen. Unforgivable.

Cod: grey, slimy, looked undercooked but was told that's normal of cod.

Battered shrimp: not fresh, boxed, tasteless

Service: sweet, friendly, attentive

Price: average

Overall definitely below average. Food just barely passable. An utter disappointment.

Date of visit: June 2015