“AMAZING duck fat fries and sausages!”
Review of Wvrst

Wvrst
Ranked #56 of 8,715 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: We're a casual open space designed for communal dining, a hangout for beer aficionados, for families, work friends, and sausage lovers of all ages. We make great sausages with over twenty five options; from Chorizo and Bratwvrst, to our Venison with red pepper, or Wild Boar and black tea. We also have our Barese sausage, which is made for sharing, but that doesn't mean you have to. Like fries? We have regular and duck fat (all Belgian style) with 16 house made dips to choose from. Also, we love vegetarians = 3 vegetarian, and 2 vegan sausages. We have 24 taps that we clean every two weeks. Our draft list is constantly rotating, but always focuses on home grown craft beer and cider. For our bottles and cellar we seek out the best brewers and cider makers from around the world. Some vintages won't be opened for 10+ years. On the first Thursday of each month we tap a keg that has been aging for at least 2 years. We were honored this year to be voted Best Fries and Beer Selection in the city. WVRST is something you can enjoy with your family. Afternoons and evenings are great time with the kids. We have room for strollers and we don't mind if you make a bit of noise and have fun, we'll probably be doing the same thing.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Was an awesome experience! Went on a Friday night around 630pm.. good thing because the later on it got, there were no spaces left and the bouncer was holding people back!
I had the Calabrese (w sauerkraut and sweet peppers) and bratwurst (w sweet onions and sweet peppers) which were both great though the Calabrese was PHENOMENAL.
the duck fat fries were just like what other people mentioned...simply MASSIVE for a large portion (four of us couldn't finish it all) and also great. My friends like the sauce w curry that was on it but my gauge of good fries are if they can stand on their own without accoutrements. On their own, they were so addicting I am trying to convince my friends to go again tonight after having only gone yesterday!
The food is pricier than what you would get with the street meat vendors in downtown TO but the choices and the quality of the food make it seem reasonable. The bread which I believe is sourced from a local bakery was slightly crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. the sausage could be eaten without the mustard (reg and dijon, mayo and ketchup that can be requested to be brought to the table) The only gripe I would have is that the cost of the imported beer were kind of astronomical for my pockets...$30 for a PINT? really?

I would definitely recommend and I would definitely be going back!

There are newer reviews for Wvrst

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Loved my duck sausage and duck-fat fries. We also had a chicken artichoke, kangaroo and a rabbit, everyone loved their choice. We could have eaten two each, but we didn't want to over do it...moderation you know. Young crowd with lots of noise; great beer choices.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have been to Wurst twice now and it doesn't disappoint. The sausages are amazing - fresh meat with all kinds of spices and delicious flavour. soft buns, and good toppings - i like the sauerkraut and onions. We also had the duckfat fries which come on a tray covered in a thin sheen of gravy (i guess its duckfat lol) and fried peppers, jalepeno, onion.

A good selection of delicious beers and great service too!

BUT....

And i'm serious here haha (maybe its just my frail digestion) but I literally had hiccups for a whole day after and serious heartburn haha I couldn't even go to sleep.

So consume in Moderation kids ;)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

4 of us went to Wvrst to watch Toronto's game 7 of the NHL playoffs. They told us they didn't take reservations for parties less than 10, but we still found space at a large table. The food was really good. Each of us tried a different sausage- italian, bison, chicken w/ chili powder and peppers, and rabbit. They were all tasty and of course the duck fries with dipping sauces were excellent. Great time and laid back atmosphere. The Ontario beers were on special and there was a good selection. Overall, very good experience and would definitely recommend for a fun night out.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hubby and I started our weekend in Toronto with lunch at Wvrst. My husband is first-generation German-Canadian so was really keen to check it out. I haven't eaten any processed meat since the Maple Leaf listeriosis outbreak years ago and wasn't as enthusiastic. However, I was totally impressed. I ordered the wild boar sausage and I loved it, so much flavour. Hubby ordered the bratwurst but preferred mine. The sausages are all natural, no fillers or organs, no by-products, no mechanically separated meat and no growth hormones. And there are four vegetarian sausage options.

We also ordered duck-fat fries but, to be honest, they tasted like normal fries. They were good, mind, with lots of small crispy ones. We chose the chipotle and the house dip, the latter was pure heat, the former a more gentle heat. I'm not a big beer drinker so I consulted with the bartender for a recommendation. She gave me three samples to try and I found one I really liked (King). There are so many beers to choose from - truly something for everyone. So, whilst it was a leap of faith for me to head to Wvrst in the first place, it won me over big time. I'd go back in a heartbeat.