“Good sausages!”

Ranked #97 of 8,771 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: We're a casual open space designed for communal dining, a hangout for beer aficionados, for families, work friends, and sausage lovers of all ages. We make great sausages with over twenty five options; from Chorizo and Bratwvrst, to our Venison with red pepper, or Wild Boar and black tea. We also have our Barese sausage, which is made for sharing, but that doesn't mean you have to. Like fries? We have regular and duck fat (all Belgian style) with 16 house made dips to choose from. Also, we love vegetarians = 3 vegetarian, and 2 vegan sausages. We have 24 taps that we clean every two weeks. Our draft list is constantly rotating, but always focuses on home grown craft beer and cider. For our bottles and cellar we seek out the best brewers and cider makers from around the world. Some vintages won't be opened for 10+ years. On the first Thursday of each month we tap a keg that has been aging for at least 2 years. We were honored this year to be voted Best Fries and Beer Selection in the city. WVRST is something you can enjoy with your family. Afternoons and evenings are great time with the kids. We have room for strollers and we don't mind if you make a bit of noise and have fun, we'll probably be doing the same thing.
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Between the two of us we had 3 different kinds of sausage. Venison, Bratwurst, and Chicken/Turkey. Absolutely yummy. We also shared an order of duck fat fries with a dip of cracked pepper.
My husband loved his venison sausage. Bratwurst was good with all the toppings. The turkey sausage was also good, but did not measure up to the venison and bratwurst.
The fries were hot and delicious.
We chose a white beer to share, but did not really like it. Oh well, it was an experiment. We will try a different one next time.
The atmosphere is very relaxed ... this is not a posh restaurant with table cloths. But it seems to go well with the food they offer ... good sausages, fries and beer!!!

Reviewed February 10, 2012

I really like this place. Most importantly, the sausage is very good. I was with a group of 5 people and we all tried something different and all of us thought the sausage was delicious (even the veggie sausage). They had some interesting beer selections as well. It's probably worth it to peruse the menu online before you go so you are familiar with the options available - it will keep the line at the counter from jamming up as well. The staff are also very good at suggesting dipping sauce pairings for the various kinds of sausage they offer.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have to say that I just love this place. Right smack in the middle of highbrow and overpriced is this oasis of beer and sausage. Nuts right? But it works for me. When I go down to the TIFF Lightbox what are my choices for cheap and cheerful and tasty? Cheap, yeah compared to everything else there, cheerful - a beer hall with wooden benches - meant for fun, and I just love a good beer, a great bun with a great sausage - the south african is my favourite, and fries in duck fat. It's a no brainer. They say happiness is not a destination... but this is, for me.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

The South African Boerwoers and German Bratwurst both looked good, but I was also tempted by the Guinea Fowl with cheddar and asparagus and the Bison with blueberry and maple. I ended up trying the Elk with cumin and porcini mushrooms - well done, in a toasted bun, with onions and sauerkraut.

For those who can appreciate the difference between a gourmet sausage and Toronto "streetmeat" from the vendor carts, Wvrst is a real find. Not only was my sasuage delicious, but the Bauhaus-style interior (with long shared tables and whiteboard decoration) was a refreshing change from the usual restaurant artsy or cultural stereotypes.

Like Arnie, I will be back.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

They have a wide range of pricey craft beers and many different meats for sausages (kangaroo, duck, venison, etc). The duck fat fries were really great but since I'm no sausage connoisseur, it's hard for me to tell whats good or not. My friend had the venison and I had the duck which tasted different, but it doesn't really justify the money we forked out for ground meat other than to say "I've eaten there." It's definitely an interesting concept with a different but good atmosphere to hang out in with friends if you have the money.