“My New Lunch Spot”

Neighborhood: Downtown West
Toronto, Canada
“My New Lunch Spot”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have been meaning to dine at The Gabardine since I saw the restaurant on the show, "You've Gotta Eat Here."

I had watched the show and salivated over the Mac & Cheese they were making so I HAD to have that when I finally went over lunch. It completely lived up to my expectations! It was so delicious yet I didn't feel I had to roll myself out of the place after.

I appreciate this place so much because it had such a down to earth vibe steps away from the Financial District (which is hard to find). I felt like I could have been eating at a restaurant in a small town which I loved. It completely took me away from the hustle and bustle from downtown which I appreciated along with providing a hearty meal.

My only advice is you get there early before the lunch hour rush.

I will be back!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MarisaWorldTravel

Toronto
“Comfort food”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I popped in for lunch after walking past the place a number of times. The decor is warm, a bit hipster-ish, but welcoming. The menu is the same, with some updated takes on old fashioned comfort food. I had mac & cheese which was delicious but not for the faint of heart and my guest had a really nice risotto. Menu is small, and the wine list is limited, which, quite frankly works for me. It was nice to see a place on Bay St. not overflowing with hyperbole and show. The restaurant was packed well before noon but the service was efficient, yet unobtrusive. Our server was quite happy to offer an opinion which is always appreciated.

• Visited July 2014
Grimsby, Canada
“Great lunch”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I work around the corner from The Gabardine and figured after seeing it on You Gotta Eat Here that it would be a good spot to meet my boyfriend's mother for lunch when she was in town. She's a foodie and figured it would please her palate!
I'm so glad we got there early as it was packed! Knowing fully well that every eatery in the Financial District is overrun come noon I had her arrive about 10 minutes before so we made the most of our time.
I had the po' boy which was pretty tasty. I will say that it came with a side salad which was literally just greens... no dressing at all. I would have loved a splash of balsamic on there but oh well! She had the rabbit rillettes and kolapore springs smoked trout, to say she enjoyed them would be an understatement!
Overall it was a very enjoyable meal and there are many more things on the menu I'd love to try, I just have to justify $19 for chicken pot pie!

• Visited May 2014
La Selva Beach, California
“Good food and service”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

No reservations for lunch so we got there when they opened at 11:30. There were already a few patrons and within 20 minutes it was packed. My wife loves chicken pot pie so she had to try it and it was quite good. It was heavy on the tarragon but we both liked it. We shared the croquettes which were also tasty but for $13 there were only four. It was also very warm inside (they placed a fan in the doorway for people waiting for a table). Overall a good lunch experience.

Visited June 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Not the best burger”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

A friend and I were supposed to meet for lunch and he suggested we meet at The Gabardine. He asked that we meet at 11:30am because it gets very busy by noon. I arrived at 11:25am and by 12pm the place was packed and there were several people waiting by the door to be seated.

As soon as my friend suggested that we meet her for lunch, I went on to Yelp to find out what dishes this place is known for. After reading several reviews, I decided that I wanted to order their burger. I am always searching for a good burger, so I was excited about the possibility that this would be the burger I have been looking for MY WHOLE LIFE! Can it surpass the #1 burger that currently owns my heart (this burger was eaten in Miami. Boo.. soooo far away!)?

In terms of the clientele, the place was packed with suits. 80% business men in suits with a sprinkle of women. I think I was the only one wearing casual clothing. Well, the staff and I.

We started off by ordering 2 teas at $3.50 a pop. When my friend requested honey for his tea, they offered him a bottle with dry honey in it. My friend tried to squeeze whatever life was still left in that little bottle, but he was only able to manage one drop or so. No honey?! The waiter seemed embarrassed, but no honey? Cross the street and buy some!

After some deliberation my friend decided to order the chicken pot pie for $18 and I ordered the burger, for also $18. I had read a lot about how puffy the crust is and I was so excited to see this "puff." We got our food about 15 minutes later and the crust on his pot pie was flat as a pancake! How disappointing! My mood deflated and I am sure if you could visually see my mood, it would match the crust on this pot pie! Also, the pot pie did not come with a side. I have this weird habit of dipping my fries in the pot pies I eat, so not seeing fries on the side was odd to me. I know, this is not Swiss Chalet!

My burger was not as big as I expected it to be. Mind you, it was still a challenge to fit the whole thing in my mouth, but I managed (not a good sign since my mouth is not particularly big). My dish did come with fries and they were okay. I still prefer the fries from Le Select Bistro. I ate 75% of my burger until I called it quits. The burger came with cheese and bacon, and found the burger overall to be on the salty side. Funny since I felt that the fries needed more salt, and the burger needed another element to balance out the salt from the bacon and cheese. Did I think that this burger was a contender for best burger I ever had? No. The meat was juicy enough even though it was cooked well-done, and the bun was neither dry nor moist. But personally, I like my meat to be cooked medium to rare, and I like soft buns. Yes, I am being super picky here, but I really did have higher expectations for this restaurant. My friend did enjoy his chicken pot pie, though he did not finish it. I tried some of it, and it tasted good, but the filling was quite watery and fries would have absorbed the liquid quite well. ;)

Visited June 2014