“Gabardine....A Perfect Fit!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I finally had the pleasure of eating at The Gabardine. Not exactly in the entertainment district, but most definitely worth finding. It is easily found and accessible right downtown. Within walking distance from Trump, Sheraton and Hilton. An easy walk to the subway. Unassuming from the outside, inside it is country casual....with flare! Reservations recommended. This place can get busy. There is a great little holding bar in the front of the house - lighting is subdued, but not dark. Staff is friendly and efficient and ......extremely knowledgeable about the menu without attitude. The food is unintimidating and startlingly well presented and prepared. We had smoked trout to start and the salted cod fritters. Both lovely...and the harbinger that what was to come would be wonderful. I had the Fish Taco's.....oh boy were they yummy. Perfect pickerel.....with a little hot sauce one of the tastiest fish tacos I have had the pleasure of eating. My partner had a perfectly cooked steak (rare)...with most excellent fries. Simple food with a flare. We could not resist trying their Korean Chicken Wings.....omg...they were good. Crispy, nice Asian flare with a little kick...not your typical pub wings to be sure. A real treat. One of our guests had their version of Mac and cheese.....apparently it was an 'oralgasam'....our friends word. Simple food done with panache is how I would describe this chef. He is adept and talented. Bravo. As noted the staff is great. Wine list is varied and our server steered us to a lovely French red. It is obvious that the staff knows their stuff and is well suited to what they are doing. Price point is reasonable for this level of quality. Management is hands on and it shows. Service is attentive without being overbearing. It was one of the nicest evenings at a restaurant we have enjoyed in awhile. Thank you Gabardine!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

went for a late lunch around 3 pm so there was no problem getting a table. the atmosphere appealed to me immediately... cozy, casual and fun. we shared the ploughman's lunch to start and followed with the chicken pot pie... both were yummy. we had the tres leches cake for dessert and it was also a hit. it's been a while since i've had such a solid three-course meal. i'd definitely go back to try some of their other items!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

A friend of mine recommended this restaurant Saying that it was a french bistro....well it's not. The restaurant was full for a Monday, service was friendly and very casual...but food wasn't great. The menu didn't make much sense for a diner menu... Sandwich, salad,pot pie,burger....I really got confused! If you want to try bistro there is much better place in town.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is probably the best comfort food in downtown Toronto and that explains why you can't get a lunch table after 11:45. There's very little for the dieter or healthy eater here, but the flavours are fabulous. I have a friend who comes here and only ever eats the shrimp po boy. I had a fantastic, juicy burger there this week They won't cook it medium rare, so if that's an issue avoid the burger. I asked them to pull it off the grill as soon as they would and it was roughly medium but was still dripping juice. The fish tacos are a great and I tried the chicken pot pie recently - it has a herb crust and is brimming with shredded chicken. The staff are great, the feel is very casual but I find the level of service to be very good.

Its also a great place for casual breakfast, they bake their own muffins, scones and cinnamon buns. If you're stuck at a hotel nearby, I'd try this instead.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been to the Gabardine several times for lunch but recently went there for dinner for the first time prior to a concert at Massey Hall. They don't take reservations for lunch so be prepared to get there early for a table. The place is always packed and it has a great energy to it. And loud, so be forewarned for business lunches if you need to hear your companion. Everything I've ever had has been fantastic. I recently had the fish tacos which were superb, and their mac & cheese is fantastic. Great beer & wine list. Staff attentive and fun and a little funky. Prices reasonable for the area, and a nice change from the "see & be seen" places close-by catering to the financial types in suits (although there are still some here, my husband and I included!). Nice cross-section of clientele -- young, middle aged who still like to go out and have fun (us), Queen West types, tourists, students. Open for breakfast as well.