“Great Find at Roncesvalles and Queen E.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cardinal Rule

Cardinal Rule
Ranked #840 of 8,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Oslo, Norway
“Great Find at Roncesvalles and Queen E.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

This restaurant is located in the newly gentrified area of Roncesvalles. Parking can be a bit of a challenge but we were fortunate to find a spot only a block away. This is a great little place that seems to serve the local community with some delicious food. If you are vegetarian, vegan or trying to be gluten-free this place has some options for you. Two of us tried the Veggie Panini, one regular and one gluten-free and both of us enjoyed our meals. The salads, other sandwiches and potato latkes were also very good according to my dining companions. Our server and the other staff were very pleasant and friendly. As we were a group of five women who arrived for lunch on a Sunday we had a bit of a wait for a table but not only was the staff accommodating but other customers also were. They moved tables in order to shorten our wait time, which we appreciated. The decor is a little shabby, but who cares when the food and serve are good!

• Visited April 2013

Bishop Auckland, England, United Kingdom
“You've gotta eat here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We saw the 'You've gotta eat here' program featuring this restaurant just before we left for our holiday to Toronto.

We ate here twice and it this was hands-down our favourite restaurant whilst in Toronto. The restaurant is off the beaten-track, you need to get the tram across to it. Cardinal Rule is popular with locals and there were no other tourists eating on either occasion when we visited. The restaurant is small with only a few tables and the decor would be best described as shabby and trendy, we loved it.

The food is out of this world, very unique and extremely delicious. I am vegetarian (almost vegan) and there were lots of choices for me. Phish n chips was beer battered tofu and chips, absolutely gorgeous. I also had a dish with Volcano in it's name (can't remember the full name sorry) which was a vegan take on meat loaf with some delicious potato (I think they were latkes) and divine gravy.

There were also meat dish choices on the menu and my husband had his 'most delicious burger' at this restaurant. There desserts are equally as fabulous.

To top everything off this was one of our most reasonably priced meals in Toronto and the staff our very welcoming and friendly...although the latter is nothing new in Toronto.

I can't recommend this restaurant enough.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“We'll be back - yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I've been twice - once with a big group and for couples brunch.

Both times the service was great and attentive - with the big group the server asked for & called us by our names - that''s a first. The menu was diverse with something for everyone from vegans to carnivores.

I had the veggie chili and it was terrific - hearty and rich. I sampled the macaroni maki - super fun.

For brunch we had a couple standard breakfasts and the eggs were terrific! meat was yummy.. I think the sausage was from a small producer - unique. We weren't fans of the latkes, personally Iike them flat, these were round balls - so a little doughy in the middle. My picky partner/coffee snob liked the coffee (amazing!).

The decor is funky and relaxed - almost everyone around us got the family style breakfasts with pitchers of Cesars.

• Visited September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic, creative local fare! Props to kitchen and owners!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

What a fantastic local gem my wife and I frequent. We have enjoyed many-a-brunch, but for the first time have had dinner... What an inspiring treat. For the first time, my vegetarian wife was able to order "phish n chips". An organic beer-battered tofu which is gluten-free, vegan (and of course vegetarian) meal that was interestingly and remarkably great! I grew up within and still enjoy one of the few areas left in North America which honours the "Friday fish fry", and as a meat, fish eater, was very impressed. Not only with the presentation, but the batter- having worked many times now with tofu.
My braised beef panini was delectable, don't need to get into that, since it was delectable.
When a fella daydreams about opening a restaurant, I want whoever is behind this joint. Great job and eclectic environment.

I rate all of my reviews against one baseline, so even though the environment isn't a 5, I'll be back there dozens of times and 'it is what it is'. It should NEVER try to be a 5. Good local artwork, fun place and fits the south Roncy neighbourhood well. Cheers!

Mississauga, Ontario
“Dinerliscious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Made the pilgrimage here after seeing an episode of "You Gotta Eat Here" and was very impressed. We arrived early on a Saturday night and had no problem getting a table. It is a small diner so bear that in mind if you plan on arriving during "prime time". We started our meal with a freshly made watermelon margarita and one of the 6 local beers they have on tap. The margarita was excellent. I had a bowl of the soup of the day which was potato garlic and it was fantastic. I didn't think anything with potato in it could have that much flavour. My wife had the roast beet salad which she said was very fresh and with just the right amount of dressing. We split the Maki 'N Cheese and the Brisket Panini. You have to try the Maki 'N Cheese just on principle. It is a great twist on a diner classic. The Brisket had a wonderful smokey flavour with a nice sweet bbq sauce on it. All in all a great find at the corner of Roncessvalles and Queen. Friendly service and very reasonably priced.

• Visited May 2012