“Very authentic Chinese food, a bit expensive for lunch”

Dragon Pearl Buffet
Ranked #439 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is my 1st time here for lunch. The place was neatly decorated with Asian decor and furniture. Lighting was dim, which is OK. It was clean, including the bathroom. Lunch was $14, which a bit on the high side, considering the fact that most of the items were not expensive. The most expensive item was the shrimp cocktail. The were about 3" long. The sushi bar is small with limited selection. There were only 8 items for Dims Sum and I expected more selections. There were about 4 kinds of soap, hot and sour (good), seafood, vegetable and wonton. The BBQ station was OK They only serve BBQ pork, chicken, ribs and other items.

The noodle station is good. You have a choice of 3 type of soaps base. The chef demonstrate how to make the noodle. There are quite a number of rare and hard to find Chinese items like fried new year cake, tofu pudding (tofu flower) ..... For $14, it is a bit overpriced IMO. Salad bars are good with a lot of selection and fresh staff. Desert bars are mostly American cakes and very little Chinese deserts. The service was ok with the wait staff. They were efficient but not too friendly.
There may be better Chinese buffets in Markam where there is a huge Chinese population. I have been to better buffets in California with a lot better BBQ (chicken, duck, pork), better soap stations and a lot more Dim Sum selections for about $10.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

****** BEWARE: RESTAURANT TOOK MY MONEY, BUT DIDN'T DELIVER ANY FOOD ******

We have ordered from this place before, and enjoyed the food. This last time that we placed an order, nobody picked up the phone so we placed an order on their website. I paid for it online, and (luckily) printed a receipt.

After waiting for an hour for the food to arrive, we called the restaurant. The lady we spoke to insisted that it is impossible to order from the website. I had to argue with the lady until she went to a computer and tried for herself. Indeed, you can order from the website...

I was then told that it was an IT mistake. The e-commerce part of the website wasn't supposed to be turned on yet... She told me she would call back.

After waiting for the call (still no food), I called the restaurant back. I asked if they would at least take my order and send the food out. She said that I would have to pay (a second time), then drive to the store in a month with my visa bill to ask for a refund.

I had to explain how I felt it was a little unfair that I had to pay twice for delivery food which never came, then DRIVE to the restaurant in a month to get a refund (again, for delivery food which never came).

Her response was that "[I] had to understand that [she] had to protect the interests of the restaurant." She didn't want to run the risk that the restaurant would be out $40 over a mistake on their own website.

I explained that I felt this whole entire conversation was terrible customer service, and only then did she tell me that she would give me two adult buffet dinners when I come to get my refund in a month.

I worked in the restaurant business while in university... The right thing to do would have been to send the order out immediately.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Went for a birthday. We could only make an 8:30 reservation and was informed that we would not get the full two hours allocated for a sitting. This shows that they want to ensure that you get a long enough time to sit, eat and enjoy.
The decor is amazing for a buffet. Clean and colourful. I haven't been to china but what they have done with the place gives it a nice oriental feel.
The food itself is slightly sporadic with location however the quality of their produce is excellent for a buffet. Their sushi was really good and the variety of hot dishes was great. I would say that this is the best buffet for Chinese food iv ever been to. The reason I have given them four stars is because I found that the layout for the food needs to be addressed. The choice for the mains was also somewhat limited.
I would recommend this highly to anyone who enjoys eating a lot of food for a decent price.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

something for everyone, attentive staff, fresh food replenished often, wonderful atmosphere, can accommodate really large groups, reasonably priced... truly a gem in Toronto and there is plenty of parking, too. What more could you ask for? We've taken many friends and they have all become repeat customers, too.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

As my review title says, I believe this is one of the best Chinese buffets in the city. The décor and atmosphere are amazing. You feel like you are in a real restaurant and not a sterile bland place with cheap furniture. The food selection may not be the largest compared to other buffets but they still have a decent variety of salads, soups, sushi, dim sum, bbq, prepared foods, cooking stations, desserts. There's something for everyone. Quality and taste is decent. This is still a buffet and not a 5 star restaurant but it's worth checking out if you like that kind of stuff.