“Good eat but not impressed by the service”

Dragon Pearl Buffet
Ranked #361 of 9,043 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Nice decoration and lots of food but our waitress was not great. She was moody and rude.
positive things: Make sure to watch them make the dragon's pearl in the big Wok. The give you a coupon for a half lobster which was nicely cooked. there are lots of choices and you really eat well for the your money. Would go back.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I've been to several Chinese buffets in Toronto.

Service: The wait staff was quick and all the staff we encountered spoke English well. We made reservations but there were still available seats. We had 4 adults with 2 infants in strollers and they were fumbling to seat us at our table. They ended up moving the table further out into the isle, which was kind of annoying because people were walking quite close to us from behind, but that's not really an issue. At least they could accommodate us.

Decor: The decor looks like a stereotypical Chinese tavern in an old western movie. It is clean. There are lots of little cultural items to look at, random necklaces and stuff for sale (which I don't really understand how that ties into the restaurant) and little plaques with information about statues and other items. Most importantly, just beside the buffet there is a small hand washing station. The sink was low enough that it was easy to wash our kids hands. At first I thought it was weird, but after thinking about it, I really like that idea.

Food: They have items that not a whole lot of buffets have such as: peking duck, lobster tails (I would be upset paying for it at a restaurant but super pleased with it at a buffet), shu mai (dimsum), PEELED shrimp with cocktail sauce, shrimp salad, a few soups, homemade noodle soup (broths are average), ice cream (same as any other place), sushi (not nearly as good of a selection of sushi like Wasabi, but the salmon was still fresh. Definitely not the place to go if you're going for sushi.), fresh fruits were ripened perfectly and a few really good deserts, for my picky family.

Review: Although they had a limited amount of sushi, I was still quite pleased with the meal. The other things compensated for it many folds. Some of the dishes were just really good. Generally buffets have just a bunch of mediocre food, but Dragon Pearl has a many really good dishes. I was pleasantly surprised. My co-eaters were surprised and happy about this little gem so close to the grocery store we go to all the time. We strolled over to Gallery (Korean super market) after to digest and to pick up some groceries. All in all, good food but a bit pricey. For that bill, we could have had a feast at a Chinese restaurant or even had a surf and turf at a steak house restaurant.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is definately the best chinese buffet restaurant in Toronto. The place is conveniently located closed to hwy 401 and always busy. The waitstaff is very friendly and obliging. The food is always freshly prepared with a very good selection of both authentic chinese and western dishes. My favourite is a bowl of freshly make noodle in broth! The ambience is unique with old wooden boat a motive, not found anywhere else! You are recommended to make reservation in advance, if you have a big party. Check it out. You'll not be disapointed.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Was everything perfect? No. Were there memorable food, you bet. The half lobster was nicely cooked. The Ribeye and the Ribs were done to perfection at medium. The sashimi was fresh and of good quality; the rolls were done nicely with good quality ingredient. Dim Sum could use a little more variety, but the basic ones are good. The Peking Duck is a must-try. Oh, and sure to save room for the desserts which begin with the deep-fried ball.
The staffs are professional, courteous, and very friendly. These traits are not usually found in Chinese Restaurants, let alone an all-you-can-eat one.
Three advises: (1) make an early reservation (before 6 pm) or expect a long wait; (2) if you have a larger party (8+), make sure everyone get there on time or you MAY not be seated (and people behind you will get your table and adding a longer wait time, and even if they let you sit, they ACTUALLY will time your sitting, and those who are late is going to either cause everyone else to rush, and they have no time to eat); (3) pace yourself, as there are a LOT of food to try.

1  Thank CZLai
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Decor is fabulous. Location is close to 401 and DVP. Parking is ample. Service is outstanding.

Now lets get into the food.
Went with 6 people, most of them love seafood. You get a lobster ticket when you sit down which allows you to go to the lobster station and get a very large lobster tail, claws etc. No tiny meatless shells in this place; plump juicy lobster meat with a bowl of drawn butter just like in a steak house.
The rest of the stuff is all you can eat. Tons of fresh fish choices, sushi, shrimp, scallops, dim sum etc.

Here was my challenge. I am allergic to fish and shellfish, but I assure you I did not leave hungry. For someone like me who cannot eat any of the fish options The Mandarin is a better choice, but I did find plenty of things to choose from. Soups, wings, ribs, noodles. If I have to complain about anything, there were very few veggie dishes. There is a cold salad area where you can get veggies, but I was looking for the stir fry kind. There was cooked asparagus and bok choy but that was about it for veggies. If you want to pass on the Chinese food altogether, there is the old roast beef and mashed potatoes to fall back on and a lonely sliced pizza sitting off to the side. One of my favorite things was the grilled pineapple; sweet and succulent. Main meal was topped off with dessert. Lots of choices although none of them outstanding. Ice cream with sprinkles, assortment of cakes, deep fried honey coated or sugar coated dough, rice pudding (not so good), fruit.

The kitchen staff was on top of keeping everything on the buffet filled. It was a very busy night and I never saw anything empty. The minute you finish your food, someone is there to remove the old plate. Water glasses were constantly filled and questions about my food issues were answered promptly. I wanted to know if the hot & sour soup had any seafood and the waitress ran to check and came back to let me know it was safe for me and she gave me the option of the egg drop soup as an alternative as well.

They only take a limited number of reservations and when I called in the late afternoon for a 7:00 pm Saturday night reservation we could not get one till 7:45. We decided to go early, arriving at 6:45. We were seated almost immediately and everyone was eating by 7:00.

Would I go back? Yes.