“Great Port Shoulder”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bannock

Bannock
Reserve with OpenTable
Bannock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Queen and Bay
Transit: TTC - Queen Street subway stop
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Port Shoulder”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant during a getaway trip to Toronto. We had the split pea soup as an appetizer. It was a decent size portion and nicely done. I had the port shoulder which was well seasoned and had a wonderful flavor. My wife had the chef's special which was a nice fish (cannot recall the exact type). We didn't have reservations but were able to be seated quickly even though the restaurant was quite busy on a Thursday night. I would recommend trying it.

• Visited May 2013

“Sumptuous lunch before book reading at Ben McNally books”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Four of us sampled the imaginative lunch menu - salt cod donuts, green salads, and Mac & cheese with spinach. All totally delicious with smiling service.

Visited June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Canadian favorites, almost”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We came for a light dinner before the opera. First of all, Biff’s Juicy Red from the Niagara peninsula was a great wine for a simple meal, big, uncomplicated, full of fruit. As for the food, I was expecting to reexperience some of the food of my Ontario childhood—not gourmet by any means, just “comfort food,” as they say in the restaurant’s ads.

We started with the split pea soup. To me, this means a can of Habitant yellow pea soup. What Bannock serves Is a little more complicated, made with short rib broth and a sherry reduction, but still good. The Arcadian Court chicken pot pie, likewise, was more complicated than I was expecting, with additional flavors beyond the chicken and flour and butter, but the mashed potatoes served as an accompaniment were absolutely perfect, and the gravy poured into an indent in the top of the potatoes was sublime. Our other main course, the pork and belly tourtière, was equally good. It was a generous pastry-covered pie, bursting with nicely seasoned (including cinnamon) ground pork and served with excellent root vegetables.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto
“Unique Canadian Fare”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband tried the Roasted Duck Poutine Pizza - yes, you read that right, and I tried the haddock fish cake and chips. Both were good - and we had the s'mores pie for dessert which was DELICIOUS. A nice night out that didn't break the bank.

Visited May 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An Great Discovery”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Mid way into our week long stay in Toronto, we were looking for something a wee bit different and having passed Bannock earlier that day we decided we'd see if we could get a table for two. Despite being really busy we luckily managed to get the last table. A busy restaurant is usually a good sign and this was the case for Bannock.

I had the split pea soup to start as its a firm favourite back home for me, and it didn't disappoint, it was delicious. My fiancée had the potato and leek soup which was also great! For main I had the venison chuck chilli, a novel use for venison and it worked well. It was tasty, spicy and hit the spot. My fiancée had the mac cheese, and the sample I had of hers was almost as good. We shared a portion of the Yukon Gold fries (a variety of spud that I'll miss when back in the UK as it made awesome chips!).

All in all a really good find, our waiter when detecting our British accents even gave us some great tips on things to do and see in Toronto, which was great and very thoughtful.

I'd definitely recommend Bannock and would return when next in Toronto.

Visited May 2013