“Phenomenal Caribbean Just Like "Mom" Made!”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Caribbean
Neighborhood: Etobicoke
Description: Great Rotis.
Sault Ste. Marie
“Phenomenal Caribbean Just Like "Mom" Made!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Growing up in Oshawa, my very best friend and his family was from Guyana. His mom embraced his friends and treated us just as one of her own, making roti and curried chicken for us frequently. I fell in love with this cuisine, in part because as a child it was great to have license to eat not with utensils but with roti! Very cool and different for a child of a more or less boring WASP background. But more than this, his mom exuded love for all of us and you could taste it in her cooking.

Ducky's prepares precisely the same wonderful meals, with the same care, quality and flavours. The proprietors are warm and welcoming, obviously investing as much care and attention to preparing their wonderful meals just like "mom". It really took me back and made for an exceptional lunch.

The interior of this restaurant is sparse at best, but make no mistake; quality and flavour abounds. This restaurant focuses on what matters, preparing meals for customers just as family, and treating customers as family. It's almost like visiting the kitchen of a new Canadian from the Caribbean.

We really cannot say enough about this place, and the quality of their meals. We were welcomed warmly and treated extremely well. The prices were extremely reasonable. It's a good indication of quality and trueness to Caribbean cuisine when the steady stream of customers coming and going after us were also of Caribbean heritage. No doubt they too were coming for a meal like mom would make.

Our family of five, with the youngest child being 8 yrs old, enjoyed a variety of dishes. Each and everyone enjoyed their meals, immensely. There was not a morsel left on any plate and everyone was fully satisfied. The only complaint was that the restaurant is too far from our home in the north! We will definitely go back to this restaurant each opportunity we have to be in Toronto. We've not been treated better in any restaurant, nor have we enjoyed Caribbean cuisine more anywhere else, with the exception maybe of my friend's mom's kitchen.

• Visited April 2014

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Ducky's Roti and Caribean Food”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The best Roti on the road rght now!!!!! I love the Curry Chicken Roti White meat FABULOUS!!! many other specialties on the menu but this is my thng

• Visited April 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Great Goat Curry on the Go”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is one of those hole in the wall places with great food. I have eaten the goat curry and roti many times. The hot sauce can be hot but if you order a mild or medium you should be safe. I have had goat curry and roti all over the city and this is still my favorite. I've been coming here for about 5 years now. The decor is not very nice but if you are only sitting down to wolf a roti down it will do.

• Visited September 2011