“Mothers Day Cruise”

Toronto Harbour Cruises
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed May 13, 2013

About a month ago I had seen Groupon selling Toronto Dinner Cruise tickets at a discounted price. Before buying the tickets we went to the Toronto Cruise Lines website to find they had tons of dates to choose from.
After talking to family we all decided to bring Mom for a Mothers Day Cruise.

The day came and Mom had no idea where we were taking her. My brother had called Toronto Cruise Lines prior to the cruise to make sure we would all be able to sit together at the same table.

When we arrived we had Mom blindfolded. We placed her right beside the Ship then took off her blindfold. Wow!! She was surprised to say the least.

We boarded with no problem as we printed off our reservations from home. There were two levels to sit, the upper deck and the lower deck. We took the upper.

They had a DJ playing a mix of music and good sized tables that easily accommodated our group of 6.

4 of us in our group are social drinkers and wanted something other then beer or wine. The bartender who was extremely pleasant towards us (Jaclyn) gave us some good recommendations of mixed cocktails. She was very knowledgeable in what she was doing and help make our cruise that much more fun.

Our dinner cards were called just after everyone had boarded. Food was good and nothing to complain about at all. The servers were very nice towards us especially my mother and that's what counts to me.

After dinner our tables were cleared by the ships staff whom you could see were on fire making sure everybody had clean tables and their plates were removed promptly after dinner. At that point the DJ turned the dinner party in to a dance party and YES my 72 yr old mother taught us a thing or two on that dance floor!!

The only thing that put a little damper on things was the weather and that is nobody's fault. Mother Nature at her best

I want to sincerely Thank Toronto Cruise Lines here online plus I have called their office this morning to thank them in their part in helping my family celebrate Mothers Day.

1  Thank Dan S
There are newer reviews for Toronto Harbour Cruises

Reviewed May 12, 2013

For Mother's Day we thought it would be nice to do something different and the Lunch Cruise sounded like a great idea. I had some reservations when I saw statements like "We do NOT accommodate any dietary requests under any circumstances. " on their website and thought while it was understandable that they couldn't accommodate restrictions they could have worded things a little more nicely.

Anyway I brushed off my hesitation and on Mother's Day the whole family headed out to find the Aurora Borealis (which looked really nice in the photos online). When we got to the Pier there was no Aurora Borealis present: Instead there was the run down Stella Borealis awaiting us. Let me outline the good the so so and bad for you.

THE GOOD
1. The Staff: Kudos to them for being nice and pleasant and having good overall attitudes because they were stuck on a boat with alot of disappointed and disgruntled passengers
2. The other passengers who eventually decided to make the best of a bad situation.
3. The view: The view Toronto was good but a $7 ferry ride would have given me the same view of Toronto

THE SO SO
1. The Food: The food was ok. It was not great but it was palatable.
2. The music: The music saved the day as other passengers eventually began to dance and that entertained us all. But the music itself was just ok.

THE BAD
1. The boat: It was old and run down. There was mold on the ceiling, holes in the upstairs seating area, random black specs on the table cloth which we brushed off and which reappeared, and when the rain began to fall our boat began to leak! I couldn't believe this was what I brought my mother to for Mother's day.
2. Washroom: The women's washroom was the nicest part of the boat (well decorated and beautiful sinks) but my dad returned from the men's room to say there was no running water in the men's room! He said they had a staff member with a water bottle pouring water on the hands of guests to help them wash their hands.
3. The layout: From the pictures I was expected a nicely laid out dining area. Instead we got plastic chairs and folding tables covered with table cloths.
4. The service: While the staff had good attitudes the service seemed disorganized. The meal was buffet style but you had to go from upstairs down stairs to line up for the food. For a team that should be well versed in this type of service I was disappointed when they ran out of rolls before several of us got to the table(especially on such an important occasion as Mother's day). They had to pause the line to run and get more salad, more silver ware, and napkins....it was frantic and disorganized.
5: Temperature regulation: It was a cold day and they had to kick the heater to get it started...literally!

All in all my mom and the rest of my family decided to make the best of a bad situation and enjoy our view and spending time with each other. However, I would never ever recommend this experience for anyone.

4  Thank pleplayplait
Reviewed April 25, 2013

A nice way to spend an hour. Tour guide was very pleasant and full of information.great opportunity for some picture taking of the sky line. Lots of birds migrate here we saw a few of the 200 different species.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Together with group of my colleagues (42) went on cruise with the Stella Borealis. It was very enjoyable. The dinner not so much but the entertainment was quite good I must say. The view of the Toronto Skyline was Fantastic as the night lights came on. The weather was a bit chilly for some as it was night with the wind from the lake. I enjoyed the cruise as it was calm and even though the busy atmosphere, I was amazed by the quiet calm peace you can enjoy cruising lake Ontario.

1  Thank DrJJD
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My friend and I bought the deal from WagJag to take our husbands out for a night and surprise them. Well, weren't we all surprised!!!! What a joke. I will say this - it is what you make of it.
The boat reminded us of the SS Minnow, lol. Main level wasn't too bad - but all seating for dinner was reserved. Upper deck we had to walk outside and up steep, narrow stairs to a "heated" area - heated by propane heaters. Very loud and smelly. Not very warm, I basically kept my coat on all night. We were able to arrange to have a table downstairs. The "sit down" dinner was actually a buffet. So if you weren't lucky to be seated on main level, you would be going down the stairs to outside to go back inside to stand in line to received your dinner - then back outside in the cold up the stairs. I'm sure the food was cold when they sat down, because it certainly wasn't hot when we ate and we were on main level. The food was just okay. Drinks very expensive - $27 for 4 beer - that's without a tip! Music was not bad, more older music but it got people dancing. The 'crew' that worked on the boat were not uniformed, so was difficult to know who worked there and who was a guest. The entrance into the main level we felt was a safety issue. The door opened outwardly, so if you were being cautious - you may find yourself with a door in the face. My husband mentioned the men's bathroom was not up to par - could be the smell arising up the stairs??? Women's bathroom was nice, but not heated unless you call a small electric heater heating.
The website is very very deceiving - the boat is not a "heated" boat, it is not a sit down dinner.
Safety concerns as well were the absence of explaining where lifejackets/boats were - if at all there was any.
Would be go on this again?? Absolutely not - and it is not worth the $99 regular price either. $39 that we paid on WagJag - hmmm probably not either.
It was by far not the elegant, delicious dinner one would expect.
Sadly disappointed.
Also, there are no signs when you arrive as to where the boat is located. We had to ask around, it wasn't until we saw the dark shadows of people in the distance walking towards a boat. And also in a dark parking lot used for construction.

2  Thank Porchlady