“Toronto's best kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #13 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Toronto's best kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you're accustomed to luxurious accommodations and service, the Old Mill & Spa in Toronto will certainly meet or exceed your expectations. It has become my hotel of choice every time I visit this great city. Once you discover it, please keep it our little secret among those of us who love to be spoiled.

Room Tip: The Junior Executive Suites are spacious and deluxe for a very reasonable rate. The staff know the t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Threeaces0
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Threeaces0,

Thank you for making us your home away from home while visiting Toronto. We take pride in providing the service excellence our guests have come to know and expect and for generations we have been committed to exceeding those expectations. We are thrilled to know that you feel "spoiled" while staying with us and we hope to continue having the pleasure of spoiling you again and again.

We hope to see you again soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
southeast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visiting from the states, relatives in Toronto. This was quite a wonderful place to spend 4 nights and travel via subway to visit my cousin in town. Beautiful inn with a bucolic location along the Humber River. Beautiful exterior, spacious rooms with good bathrooms. Hotel is not too big, staff knows you, and not too small, amenities are great. Continental breakfast is true continental style, on par with the great boutique hotels and country inns in France. Fresh melon, cheeses, boiled ham, yogurt, homemade granola. Good service from the wait staff all correct, crisp linens, fresh flowers on each table.
Dinner in the restaurant or in the bar was very good the two nights we dined there. Staff was friendly and helpful. Always engaging and ready to serve.
Subway stop is two minute walk and downtown a 12 minute ride. Walking inthe area is safe even when we came in at 1:00 AM from a late dinner in town.
Very quiet location, a park just across the river. No wonder that every weekend the place is full of wedding parties.
A definite yes on staying here the next time we are in Toronto.

Dear comeonbobby,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us whilst visiting relatives here in Toronto. Known for our surrounding beauty and close proximity to Toronto's finest attractions, we provide a relaxation haven for our guests to retreat to.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were married here in August of 2011, it never occurred to me to write a review until our most recent stay this past weekend for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We have eaten in the restaurant here a number of times as well. I will try to comment on each.

I absolutely love the Old Mill - the vintage old world charm is so breath-taking. The summer is an especially beautiful view, the gardens are always gorgeous well taken care of. It is a huge property, with many different event rooms and things to discover. My breath was taken away the first time I had been here many years ago, and convinced my now husband to have our wedding reception there. Our wedding was fantastic! (If you have any wedding related questions - please feel free to message me! I won't get too in detail here).

Our first stay at the Inn was over the weekend of our wedding in 2011 - I had gotten the 'Premium Queen Suite' for my bridesmaids and I to stay in the night before my wedding, and to get ready in the morning of. We had all ordered room service for dinner - everything was delicious, arrived hot and within 45 minutes. The suite was amazing, and the Old Mill staff was very accommodating about moving my luggage for me (or any of my bridal party that was staying the night of the wedding as well) to our new suite or room for the second night. My husband and I stayed in the 'Premium King Suite' on the night of our wedding, also a great room. They are very beautiful suites with jacuzzi's, large shower (very spacious bathrooms), and always immaculately clean! Beds are soooo comfortable.

For our anniversary this past weekend we decided to stay in a 'regular' suite, which is their least expensive room at $309 per night. There is nothing regular about it, it is very similar to the premium suites we had stayed in prior! The bathroom was still very large, jacuzzi, large shower, small sitting area with a couch and chair, flatscreen tv, mini fridge and desk. Again, very clean and inviting. Upon first entering your room after check-in, they always have a radio station playing softly and the gas fire place on - very romantic. Continental breakfast is included with your stay, which is in the restaurant - a little more choice than the average continental at other hotels, and all very fresh.

The Old Mill restaurant has a great atmosphere, very romantic and old worldly. It has a decent sized stage and dance floor for live entertainment, which we had experienced before. It's always a great time! As a side note, they do not take debit - only cash and credit card, but there is an ATM near the flower shop. My husband and I have January birthday's a week apart from each other, and had decided that this year (2013) we wanted to celebrate this particularly special birthday at the Old Mill restaurant with our closest friends. There were 10 of us in total (5 couples). Reservations of parties larger than 8 (I believe) you are asked to give a credit card for a non-refundable deposit. They had asked if there were any special instructions, which I had said that my husband was on a strict low-sodium diet. They said they would make a note of it for the chef (I had mentioned that the reason for this was very serious - the year prior he was in heart failure, on life support, and in a coma, and that the low sodium diet was extremely important to his - thank goodness - on going recovery). They had also mentioned that there would be a particular band playing that night and that they were very good, and that there is an entertainment fee per person - er, okay. This is where it gets disappointing - upon arrival, there was a DJ playing, not the live band that we were originally told would be preforming. When we were sat at our table I had mentioned to the waiter that we would be paying per couple, we would like the bill split 5 ways, including the deposit. I had ordered bottle of champagne and wine, and specified for that to be placed on my bill. Everyone's meal was delicious (good part). Unfortunately though, the low-sodium request was ignored. When we reminded our waiter about it, to which he had no prior knowledge of, he suggested a few things on the menu that may be better (which we could have done ourselves) but that there wasn't much the chef could do. At the end of the night, which was about 11pm, one single bill came. When we had repeated we wanted it to be split 5 ways, the waiter said firmly that they couldn't do that - I've been to many other premium restaurants where this was never a problem, even for larger parties. We got the impression that this aging waiter just simply did not want to do it, and wasn't very polite about it - maybe he forgot my initial request from the beginning, who knows. He seemed irritated that it was 11pm, and they were clearly closing - I assure you it would have been faster for them to split the bill. There were a few mix up's on the bill that needed to be corrected. We sat there for quite possibly an extra hour dividing up the bill and having that all sorted out. A few of our friends from that night were so turned off by the experience, they have vowed not to return - even another couple who had also been married there. Not the greatest birthday celebration, unfortunately.

My husband and I decided to give the restaurant one last 'go' on Saturday for our anniversary (after all, the Old Mill has a special meaning to us). Again I had mentioned upon making reservations about the low sodium restriction but didn't expect much accommodation, and again, nothing was mentioned - I really think they 'say' they will inform the chef, but clearly do not make note of it. I really shouldn't have to disclose personal health information to get an understanding of how important it is, but even that clearly didn't work the first time! I wonder if they would ignore allergy restrictions as well?? Unfortunately there was no live entertainment in the restaurant that night - everyone was seated on one side of the restaurant away from the stage. Thankfully our service was a bit better this time, and again the food was great. The chef does a great job with the presentation as well. I had the caprese pasta, and my husband the beef tenderloin. We shared the plum tart for dessert - very nice. We do find their menu to be a bit small, and could probably stand to add a few more choices, but again, what we did order was great. Our total was about $140 for a starter, 2 mains, a dessert, and 2 glasses of wine. We had breakfast here before our check-out on Sunday morning. We had some of the continental choices, but decided to order from the menu. Everything was good, however, I had ordered the 'caramelized apple and banana pancakes' - except that there were no apples or bananas to be found on my plate. Overall our opinion of the restaurant is that it needs an over-haul. New wait staff, and a more diverse menu. On a personal note, for the amount of money we have spent at their establishment.. Splitting a dinner bill 5 ways, and making a sodium accommodation seems fairly simple for devout returning clients.

A new experience we tried this time at Old Mill was their bike rentals. There is a beautiful bike/walking path along the Humber River, our ride was great. You can sign up at the Inn front desk. It's $14 per person for 2 hours ($28 in total) which you can choose to charge to your room, or if you aren't a guest, you can provide a credit card for the charge. It was a great way to spend a few hours by the Old Mill and enjoy some nature!

Another new experience was the Home Smith Bar that is in the lobby of the Inn - this was fun! I like any type of music, especially live. They had a different jazz band there on Friday and Saturday night. The entertainment is from 7:30 - 10:30 both nights. The atmosphere is beautiful, and the bands were great. The bar has just about every drink desired, and there is also a small food menu to choose from. They have sliders and fries, and a few dinner items as well if you wanted to eat your meal there. They stay open as long as there are guests present, but it seems to clear out fairly quickly after the entertainment finishes. We will return here for a jazz evening with friends for sure!

All in all the Old Mill is a beautiful place to stay. It's a very nice treat for special occasions. We will go back here to stay for another weekend again, it was extremely relaxing and romantic! However, maybe we will find a restaurant in Bloor West Village for dinner next time instead. So please keep in mind my 'good' ratings are for the Old Mill itself, not the restaurant.

Dear irish_strawberry,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your comments regarding your most recent stay at The Old Mill. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overnight accommodations, however, gravely disappointed that our service in the Dining Room was not up to our expected standards. I have shared your comments with our Dining Room Manager and our Executive Chef who will personally address these issues with our service staff. I apologize that we were not able to give you the experience you know and love and for that I am truly sorry.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back as we look forward to hosting you again.

Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a wonderful surprise. We choose the Old Mill for our 40th anniversary. We had never been there and didn't know anyone who had ever stayed there. The reviews were great so we booked it. At check in they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite which was absolutely gorgeous. We booked a package that included wine, chocolates, a $25.00 spa certificate and breakfast. Everything was wonderful including the staff. The Sunday brunch was outstanding. Thank you Old Mill for helping to make our anniversary extra special!

Room Tip: If you want a spa treatment you need to book ahead.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DebyClark,

Happy 40th wedding anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend this incredible milestone with us at The Old Mill Toronto. We love to hear our guests' stories and in coming in from Ohio and taking a chance on us we are delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations.

We wish you many more happy years together and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff at the Old Mill was absolutely accommodating from helping me plan and executing my engagement proposal. We were upgraded to the suite on the 5th floor and it was more than I could ask for and done without my knowledge (thank you staff!). We had dinner there as well that night and the food was delicious. There were a lot of weddings as the overall venue was picturesque and romantic. Overall, the stay was wonderful, staff were excellent, and the memory will be a lifetime.

Room Tip: If you're planning something special, make sure the staff know as well. They are very accommodat...
1 Thank Justin C
Dear Justin C,

Congratulations on your engagement! Thank you for choosing Old Mill Toronto for this momentous occasion. We are honoured that we were part of your proposal and that we provided you with "absolute perfection".

We hope to see you again and again to celebrate more of life's special moments.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Old Mill after buying a certificate from travelzoo. We found it to be a beautiful Inn. The gardens are lovely. The beds were very comfortable with pillows that were like sleeping on a cloud. We found the dining to be excellent. The price was reasonable for Toronto and the service was also excellent. I had a massage at the spa and found it to be a nice relaxing experience although it cost a bit more than I'm used to. Overall, we enjoyed our night at the Old Mill and hope to return in the future.

1 Thank Michele from Ontario
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Michele from Ontario,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us in booking your travelzoo package. We are happy to know that we provided you with a relaxing getaway and your enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We found paradise at the Old Mill Toronto! We booked our stay after finding a deal on Groupon. When we arrived, I was taken aback by the beautiful architecture and gardens on the grounds. The lobby felt upscale and made a great first impression on us. The staff working the desk were wonderful, but it was a little hard to find the check-in area at first, because they are located behind a wall with a sitting area in front. Still, this set-up helped separate business from the "getaway" feel and we appreciated that.

When we arrived in our room, we were taken aback. The room was very generous in size and beautifully decorated. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed the all-season fireplace as it helped to make us feel as though we were at home-away-from-home. We received a call shortly after arriving in the room to ensure the room was to our liking and offering their services if there was anything they could do to improve our stay.

After we got settled, we went for a walk in the gardens and surrounding community. There is a bus station a short walk from the hotel, which would make it easy to get into town and see all that Toronto had to offer. The community itself seems populated, but quiet. There was not a lot of traffic in the surrounding area, which helped to escape into the scenery.

We had dinner at the restaurant. It was beautiful and the wait staff was very attentive to us. We were unaware that we needed a reservation, but they quickly accommodated us at a beautiful table looking out over the gardens. The food was delicious, but costly (about $100 for two entrees, one dessert and one iced tea). Still, we enjoyed being able to relax and stay on-site, rather than having to leave.

This is by far one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. It allowed us to escape, relax and focus on us for a change. We will definitely stay here again!

1 Thank Robert H
Dear shullrd,

Thank you for booking with groupon and for choosing to stay with us while visiting from Cincinnati. Your compliment of staying in "paradise" is positively overwhelming as we take pride in all we do in providing a haven of relaxation and keeping the historic Old Mill grounds in its beautiful glory.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit..