“Wonderful getaway in the scenic Humber River Valley.”
Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #20 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Very impressed by the quality of the rooms and excellent service. A pool is the only thing that is missing. Near to subway. So everything is close. Great jazz bar by lobby. Definitely recommend to our if town visitors to Toronto

• Stayed: August 2013
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Rowan F,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and write in your review about your most recent visit. Offering many services Old Mill is a historical institution that has been serving the Toronto Community and visitors from afar for decades.

We are honoured in you recommending us for your visiting family and friends and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again as well.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I choose to write this review one year after we had our wedding in this hotel, because I would like to give an honest and objective review. Unfortunately one year later, whenever I recall my wedding day, I still remember the chaos and how unorganized it was.

3 things that made me upset:
1. We were assigned to two DIFFERENT rooms the nights before and after our reception. I needed to change to a 2nd gown and it took my bridesmaid half an hour to find it (because it was after they were moved to the new room and everything was not in its original place). You probably wonder why i didnt leave my gown in the bride change room, well we can talk about this story later. It is also worth mentioning that before the big day, we confirmed with the hotel TWO times that if we get the same room for two nights, and yes they lied to us.

2. No bride's change room. The key to the room was not working, so they gave us another room. A much larger room. I have to say it was a very beautiful room, however, it cannot be locked from outside. So, my bridesmaid (the same poor girl again) had to return to my hotel room, left my 2nd gown there, and ran back again when i needed to change. If you ever tried walk from the hotel room to any of the function room (where all receptions take place), you would be like "wow that girl must be sweating from inside out". Yes it's a far long journey. Did we complain? Yes. Answer? "I'm not responsible for any lost dress if you leave it in your temporary change room".

3. My entrance music (bride's) was wrong. I can't complain because they refunded us. But can I get married again? No. And I hope I will never have to.

We had complained, and complained, and complained after the reception. But we didn't get anything back except the refund we got for the music organist. And the minister tried to blame me by saying that I didn't pause after the wedding party entered the chapel so there's no time to change music. God knows how long i waited outside hoping the organist would realize he's playing the wrong music.

The only reason we didn't insist more refund from the hotel was because we don't want to ruin our memory. It's our big day and we want to remember only the best. But when this year, my friend is getting married and asked me about this hotel, I realized I have to do something. It is my personal experience and I guarantee everything i say here is true and objective. If you would like to have your wedding here, make sure you micro manage everything, follow up on everything and don't trust them on anything.

I could have mentioned every single person i dealt with during the entire negotiation process, the people who lied to me. But i chose not to because I believe a bad staff member represents the true picture of the top management. I work in a senior management team in a global company and I believe everything is "top down". I wouldn't blame the staff, but I have to say the fault is with the management team who hired and trained them.

Would I ever want to go back to this hotel, maybe to celebrate my anniversary? No i wouldn't. I don't trust them anymore.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CC J

Dear CCJ,

Thank you for sharing your experience of over a year ago with us. I am sorry to hear that your wedding did not go as planned. When given requests in advance and when things are planned out accordingly I can assure you that we do make every effort to ensure that things are just right. Often times with weddings, things do change on a last minute basis and our staff are dedicated to do what they can to best meet the needs of our anxious brides and our other guests.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to make a good memory for you. Please contact me directly and I will make sure everything goes as planned.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Always a pleasure going back. The Historical premises are exceptional, rooms spacious and comfortable, dinning wonderful and staff TOP of Class. Usually don't sleep very well in Hotels but don't have this issue at the Old Mill Inn. One time, forgot to cancel 1 week reservation and Front Desk person was very understanding and waived the penalties (my Boss was very happy and me very relieved). Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Rooms finishing in 10 (010, 310, 410 etc.) are the best as the have windows on 2 walls.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear MarcSt-Onge,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your wonderful experience at Old Mill Toronto. We are always so delighted to have our returning guests sing our praises as we make every effort to ensure all of our guests are completely satisfied.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Married there 30 years ago. It's still a great memory. :) The chapel had a fairytale setting with candle light. The photos shot in the garden were perfect. This is a great choice if you are considering it.

We did not stay in the Inn.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear ResorTraveller,

Thank you for sharing your wedding memories with future travelers. We welcome all visitors whether dining, enjoying spa services, attending special occasion functions or staying overnight.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for an overnight experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I didn't even get to make the reservation so I can hardly rate the hotel or any of its amenities. But I rang to book a room and I was put on hold "for just a second" and the person never came back. Four minutes after being put on hold I hung up and rang back. The operator was very polite and apologised that the person I had been speaking with never came back and she transferred me again. When the call was answered I had to listen to the person laugh for a few seconds before acknowledging me and then she said "Sorry to keep you waiting". I replied that she kept me waiting for a full four minutes and her reply to this was "Oh that was my colleague. Our computer system is down and when she tried to come back to tell you that, you had hung up."
I replied that this is normally what one does after being kept on hold for four full minutes to which she replied "mmm hmmmm... how can I help you?"
I began saying I wanted to inquire about room rates and availability but then decided that if the greeting is this poor from the get go then this is clearly not the kind of place I want to be staying at.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mercedes71

Dear mercedes71,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reservation experience with us. I am truly sorry that you felt we did not give you the experience you were looking for. In looking at our call records we had your call on hold for approximately 2.5 minutes and I apologize for this wait time as our reservation lines are very busy. I have personally addressed the service issues with the staff who will be strongly advised to ensure that all calls are handled with the outmost professionalism.
I understand that you chose not to book. Perhaps another time we will be able to give you the service experience you are looking for.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had an excellent time at Old Mill Inn will definitely go back...excellent place for a couples weekend get away. Serene, peaceful, surrounded by nature. Stayed on the 5th floor very quiet peaceful did not hear any outside noise, rooms are very clean, bed streamly comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Irisita79,

Thank you for choosing to spend your couple's getaway with us at The Old Mill. Ranked as the #1 Romantic Hotel in Toronto, we make every effort to look after the little details to make each guest stay memorable...relax, reconnect, refresh.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place was absolutely stunning and full of energy of memories past. I even have a hard time calling the old mill a hotel.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a mini getaway from the city and their typical busy everyday life :-)
Cant wait to go again!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank AlexandraKlaudia
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear alexandracco,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor regarding your most recent mini-getaway with us. We are thrilled to know that we gave you the opportunity to build more memories and we look forward to welcoming you back.