“A special place for special occasions.”
Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #14 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“A special place for special occasions.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Old Mill Inn & Spa to celebrate my wife's birthday. We live in Toronto, so we were looking for a romantic getaway without having to leave the city.

I booked the "spa getaway for two" which consisted of a luxury king room, continental breakfast and a side by side Swedish massage at the spa. While booking, I found both the hotel and spa staff very helpful on the phone. I was planning a birthday surprise for my wife, so I wanted to make sure of everything and I had lots of questions. I was quite happy with my plans, but I'm the type that always worries that something will go wrong or not be what I thought it would be.

The big day came and it couldn't have gone better. There were no problems at check in and there were a few pleasant supplies. Someone had a made a point of putting a note in the hotel's computer system that it was my wife's birthday. My wife was wished a happy birthday several times during our stay. There was also a card for her in our room with a special chocolate, thanking her for choosing to spend her birthday at the Old Mill. It was a special touch.

We loved our room! The bed was incredibly comfortable with high quality pillows and linens. The bathrooms are very spacious with a big shower and a nice bath tub with a Jacuzzi. A nice touch was that there were speakers in the bathroom, so it was very easy to enjoy relaxing music while in the Jacuzzi. There was turn down service....with chocolates being left on the pillows. They fill your ice bucket during turn down service, which is also a nice touch. There's a mini bar and snacks in the room, which you do have to pay for but it is convenient. One minor complaint/suggestion is that I would have expected a better premium beer selection at a place like this. The mini bar was stocked with Coors Light, Blue and Heineken if memory serves correct. But there were plenty of other nice drinks to choose from, I just would have appreciated better beer to choose from.

The location of the Inn is wonderful. It overlooks the Humber River and there's nice walking through the parkland along the river or through the quiet neighbourhood that the Old Mill is a part of. Yet you are also very close to Bloor Street and a subway station. So it's very easy to enjoy the city while you're there if you want to.

The continental breakfast was quite excellent. There was wonderful baked goods, fresh fruit, yoghurt, all the basics. But there was also cold cuts, smoked salmon and some really nice cheeses. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the breakfast.

The spa was quite relaxing and the staff professional. I don't have much experience with spas, but my wife does and she loved it. I enjoyed our massage together.

Check out time was 12 noon. But the staff were more than happy to hold on to our luggage for us while we continued to enjoy the Inn for the day. I should also mention that we had afternoon tea in the restaurant and it was quite delightful. They had some really good tea options, and I am a bit of a tea snob. The sandwiches were excellent. I also enjoyed the baked treats with good quality jam and cream. The desserts were also nice, and my wife really enjoyed them.

All in all it was wonderful stay for us. Now we don't have a lot of experience staying in hotels at this price range, so I suppose we don't know what we should expect. But I will say this. This was a bit of a splurge for us, for a special occasion. And when you do that you hope to leave thinking more about how wonderful your experience was than you do about what it cost. And in that regard the Old Mill certainly delivered. We had a wonderful time and I suspect that we'll find occasion to stay there again.

1 Thank drmarvel
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear drmarvel,

Many happy returns for your wife's birthday celebration! Thank you for choosing to stay here and enjoy our spa package. We mame every effort to ensure our guests receive our best welcome and we do everything we can to make their stay comfortable and memorable.

We hope that you will come again to enjoy more of life's milestones.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was my third stay at the Old Mill Inn in Toronto while attending a multiple day course and, as usual, the room and amenities were very good - rooms are big, clean and quiet. There is a turn-down service provided, which makes you feel spoiled and the staff are attentive and friendly. The room had both a big, Jacuzzi tub (that stayed on as long as you wanted!) and stand-up shower in the spacious bathroom. The bed was super-comfortable and the linens high quality.

My one concern has to do with food availability. I'm a vegetarian with a gluten allergy, so recognize that I'm not the easiest person to feed. The restaurant is not open most evenings, so ate in the bar on my first night's stay and really had very limited choice on the menu - I ordered a side dish of quinoa for dinner, which was tasty, but I was still hungry afterward. The restaurant provides a buffet every day for lunch, which was included as part of our course fee, and there were a few different salad options for me to choose from and usually one soup choice (except on the last day), and chocolate mousse for dessert, however, there was not one hot meal choice I could eat over the four days. The biggest issue for me was that none of the dishes are identified as "GF", even though the name of the particular dish is written on a plexiglass panel above it, so this could easily be accommodated. I made the mistake of not asking about a salad dressing and realized too late that it had soy sauce in it and ended up having a reaction, so did not feel well for the last three days of the course. As such, I made sure I asked every day onward about what dishes were gluten-free and, each time, the person I asked had to go check, which meant I had to stand around waiting.

The service provided by the wait staff at the restaurant was wonderful, however, and special thanks to Michelle for taking such great care of us - Michelle always made sure we had our cappuccinos after lunch!

With more and more people suffering from food sensitivies and allergies, I'd respectfully suggest that some consideration be given to properly identifying the foods at the buffet and also on the menu at the bar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Julie P,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your review of your most recent at The Old Mill Toronto. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room, however, I am sorry to hear about your dining experiences with regards to selection. I have shared your concerns with our Executive Chef who will take your suggestions under advisement. We are becoming more and more aware of various food allergies as they have become more common place and we are actively looking for ways to improve our menu selections.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and service. We make every effort to ensure our professional and friendly staff cater to our guests in any way possible.

We hope that you will visit us again as our menu options improve.

Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Elegant and quaint . A rare find in such a busy city. Park like setting!!food is excellent. Unique rooms with comfortable beds and a bathroom that is far above that what you would find in most hotels. Staff friendly and warm.You will have to pay more for this type of quality accommodation but it has the full package. Well maintained elegance!!

• Stayed April 2013
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Janet49Canada,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your comments regarding your most recent stay at Old Mill Toronto. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our unique park like setting in the midst of a bustling city.

We hope that you will come back and visit us again for another relaxing getaway.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in a King Suite with a balcony. The suite was so elegant. The king size bed was very comfortable. The wall of windows in the living room area overlooked the courtyard, which was very nice. There was a fireplace also, which added a nice touch. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 404 which was the only room we saw with a balcony. Lovely.
Dear typinggirljb,

Thank you for sharing your experience with future Trip Advisor travelers regarding your stay with us. Our spacious suites are one the of many wonderful features of Old Mill Toronto. the room you stayed in and the suite across the hall both have balconies which add to the uniqueness of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Fonthill, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Average room, very average service for the price you pay. Room was dated. No one greets you to help you with your luggage. The staff does the bare minimum. I tried to cancel a spa service with 22 hour notice, but was told I couldn't as the rule is 24 hour cancellation notice. Ha! Laughable. I had recently stayed at the Ritz, so perhaps I was expecting too much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mm_ontario
Dear mm_ontario,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We take all of our guest feedback very seriously and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. With regards to luggage service we do offer this service and when our concierge is otherwise engaged our staff are most happy to oblige upon request.

I have shared your comments regarding your spa appointment with our Spa Director. Kindly contact me directly so that we may further look into the matter for you and make it right.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wow, this place is great! They upgraded our room to a suite due to the trouble we had being delayed in Chicago (we arrived one day later than our original reservation date) and there was a rose on the tub, chocolates on the bed and a card wishing us a happy 1st anniversary (we spent our wedding night here last year)!!! The staff are so courteous and friendly.

The only thing I find underwhelming is the breakfast that is included in our stay. It is a lovely continental breakfast but there is nothing warm offered (eggs, bacon, etc). Also, 10:30am seems a little early on the weekend to be removing the "help yourself" breakfast. Fortunately, the wait staff waited an extra half hour on our recent stay, which I'm sure the other 3 couples that arrived at 10:30am appreciated also!

Dear hunterstanswife,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to stay with us! Our staff make every effort to ensure our guests feel welcome and we take extra steps when we know that our guests are coming in for special occasions.

With regards to our premium continental breakfast, we offer a great selection of items that are not traditionally found in a standard continental breakfast such as smoked salmon, cold cuts, cheese and various other upgraded items. We do have a hot menu items from our a la carte menu that may be ordered additionally.

We hope that you will continue to visit us for more of life’s milestone as we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Old Mill for two nights for training and it was very nice and relaxing and the food was very good loved the jets in the bath it was like a small spa in the room I recommend the hotel for unwinding and relaxing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Faten A,

Thank you for sharing your most recent business trip with future travelers on Trip Advisor. Currently listed as the #8 Business Hotel in Toronto, we are proud to service our business and corporate guests with a relaxing and professional environment with all the business features and services that are needed in today's marketplace.

Many of our business guests return for a leisure stay to have the opportunity to enjoy the many additional services we offer.

We hope that you will come back to stay with us in the near future.