“Even more than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #13 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto ON
“Even more than I expected”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had occasion to attend the Old Mill for a day-time business event and shortly after an awards evening. We decided to make the Awards Night special and stay the night so we could play golf the next day. Our experience sort of reminded me of the commercial where a young couple are in Europe and come upon a ritzy hotel or castle and decide to stay thinking what the heck it's only one night. We were upgraded to a king premium suite (massive bathroom, a second room with fireplace and mini-bar.) A terrific room for parents of the bride or for entertaining a larger group. Continential breakfast and a bottle of wine were included. It was billed as a romantic getaway so there were rose petals lining the jacuzzi tub. Very nice. I must admit, if a friend of ours hadn't sent us a link to travelzoo.com and a special offer we probably wouldn't have thought of it for the book price. It was a reasonable price for a sumptuous suite. The bar and jazz were great too! We live out of town now, but the Old Mill is well known as a classy place. I would recommend it to those attending a wedding there, out of town guests with $$$'s or as a memorable destination for a special occasion. A suggestion to the hotel would be to have some lighting near the in-room safe. We didn't use it as we couldn't see to read the instructions. A dimmer on the bathroom light would be nice.

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

i was looking for a classy and romantic place to celebrate our anniversary with my partner and i found this inn, recommended by a lot of customers with a high rate review, i dare to try and based on our experience,the staff are all friendly, our suite is cozy and cleanliness is awesome that soaking in the Jacuzzi just make it perfect with wine.. breakfast is great,it will make you com back more..overall..its awesome experience that will be remember for a lifetime:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jm C
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in the spring - very beautiful. The grounds are well maintained. My room was lovely. A couple times I needed assistance and the staff were very helpful each time. I will return to the Old Mill.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Old Mill after attending a wedding there. We had a beautiful suite on the fifth level overlooking a wooded area. The room amenities included a very large bathroom with a two person jet tub, shower, dressing area and a separate toilet area. The suite had two sitting areas and a queen sleigh bed. breakfast in the Terrace room was included. The hotel has many amenities that we did not have time to take advantage of during our stay. (Spa, pool, bars, dining)

Room Tip: We had a great room on the top floor overlooking the park area. Very bright large windows to take i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 6 times now (always off-season) and I love it's unique character and charm. With only a coup,e of negatives, this is my go to place in Toronto so long as you do not need to be near the business center.

Backdrop: The hotel is nestled into a clearing of woods, with train access within walking distance. It's a good size facility, including a conference center, but its not too large. Runners will appreciate the ready access to relatively flat trails across the street.

Lobby: the lobby is wood adorned and rustic, with a fireplace, seating area and bar that serves decent food and spirits. The staff is friendly and can help with transportation needs.

Rooms: This last time I was in room 503 and its simply huge. You take an elevator to the fifth floor and then have to walk up a ramp to the room. This is an important point for those that have mobility issues, you are either walking down or up since the hotel is situated in a hilly area. Of course there are elevators, but do not expect a level floor most of the time.

Once you enter the room you will be greeted by jazz music playing in the background. The hotel often hosts the local jazz station and you should Call in advance and find out if there is an event. If there is, attend it as its quite fun. You do need reservations.

The room itself is 5 star. I had a sitting room, family room and bedroom. As far as I know all rooms have fake fireplaces that work well, but don't actually throw off heat. The bed is very comfortable and there is plenty of other seating area and computer access. Task lighting is very good. The bathroom is spacious with all the amenities. I had a separate tub and shower. Best of all, everything was clean and the HVAC worked well.

Food: I have dined at the restaurant and the pub. The restaurant food is good to very good. The pub food is surprisingly good. The cheese plate was nice and the calamari is grilled and had wonderful flavor. One minor complaint is that the kitchen closes too early at 9:00. It should be open until at least 10:30pm. If you want other food you will need a car or cab and there are rarely cabs just waiting there, so one will have to be called, though I rarely have to wait long.

Amenities: Since I was there for business I can't comment too much, but there is a spa, a gift shop and the aforementioned convention center in the basement. Cell service is spotty at the lower levels, but wireless seems to work okay. Food at the conference I was at was also pretty good.

Dings: Not many. Food service hours and things can be a bit of a hike. The hotel reminds me of that Escher optical illusion art of a square where people keep walking in circles, always up. The hotel is like that. They do try to put up a lot of signs, but every day people asked me for directions to the lobby. I easily overlook this and give this 4 stars and one of my personal favorite hotels and my own personal bike reward.

Room Tip: Go high floor, near the elevator. Many rooms are slightly different, but all are nice that I have s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Very good room, loved the Home Smith bar. Didn't eat in the restaurant but did try spa services (massage and reflexology). Both were very good and not too expensive considering the location. Service was very good.

• Stayed October 2012
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and while it was a lovely stay, I'm not sure it was worth the horrifying expense. We often stay at four star hotels at a third of the price, and this is the first time I've had a room in the basement. Sorry, "garden level". It was raining during our stay and the free parking across the street was difficult to access because the entrance was basically flooded and we had a baby and stroller. I guess you're paying for the character and not having to find your way home after the wedding but I think you're better off staying elsewhere and saving your money. Nice place, no complaints, but better value elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family