“WOW! An Elegant Throwback in Time”
Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #14 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal
“WOW! An Elegant Throwback in Time”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

How was this hotel amazing? Let me count the ways.
1. It's a 5-minute walk to the subway. And a subway ride into the heart of town takes 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the time of day). So for train travellers, you don't need to rent a car or even take a taxi.

2. Although it's well inside the city limits, it's in a park-like setting, so you feel like you're in the middle of the country.

3. The staff is polite and courteous. They even had a personalized welcome note in my room.

4. The hotel has a "classic" atmosphere. It's an older hotel, well-kept, but still reflects its classic roots rather than trying to reinvent itself as an uber-modern boutique hotel.

5. I was upgraded to a suite, so I was happy.

6. The bed was so super comfortable. I slept like a baby.

7. The amenities were excellent: cool soaps and shampoos; fast wireless Internet, flat screen TV, coffee maker--and a personal stereo.

8. The food at the event (prepared by the hotel kitchen) was delicious.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SAC-from-Montreal
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear SAC-from-Montreal,

Thank you for showcasing the many features of splendour our property has to offer on Trip Advisor. We make every effort to ensure our guests feel at home and have all the modern day conveniences while maintaining the heritage of The Old Mill.

Our staff takes pride in the service we provide and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dayton, OH
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with a driving trip through Canada, and our second stop was in Toronto. The Old Mill Inn & Spa is located west of downtown Toronto in a quiet neighborhood. However, it's only a few blocks from a subway station with easy access to other areas of Toronto. They seem to be a big destination for weddings and with their beautiful gardens and facilities, I could understand why.

They upgraded us to the Luxury King Suite, with a cozy living area complete with all seasons fireplace and couch, a huge bathroom with shower and jacuzzi tub and a large bedroom area. The final area is a full dining room with seating for six, which we didn't use but would be great if you were in the Inn with a group.

The continental breakfast, which is included, is very good and was more than varied enough to provide a great start to the day. We were there on a Monday and Tuesday, so the restaurant was closed in the evening so I can't comment on that. We ate at two local places on West Bloor on the advice of the very friend staff, and enjoyed both (tried poutine at the Yellow Phoenix which was really good!) Didn't use the spa services (closed on Monday) but there was some very nice sounding packages!

The parking lot is across the street, and right now there is also a construction project going on next to the parking lot, so it be aware when walking or driving on that road.

Old Mill Inn is a beautiful place with a strong emphasis on service -- I would recommend it for anyone looking for a peaceful haven during a big city stop in Toronto.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BuckeyeMom10
Dear BuckeyeMom10,

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend a part of your cross Canada trip with us! We are overjoyed that you enjoyed your stay and that we were a highlight for this wonderful milestone.

Wishing you many more happy anniversaries and we hope that will one day travel up north and visit us again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Yesterday was Mothers' Day. I am a mother of one little girl, 6 years old. We live in Toronto and have been going to the Old Mill Mothers' Day brunch for a few years now. This year, when I called (a month ago) to make a reservation for Mothers' Day brunch for the three of us, I was told that they do not take reservations for parties of less than 6 people, and that we should arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 and we would be seated. So, we get all dressed up and go down to the Old Mill for our very special family brunch that we have been looking forward to for some time now. When we arrive at 10:30, we are told that they are full and we should come back at 1:30!! I'm shocked, relay my story of my attempt to make a reservation a month ago to the dining room manager. I am told by the unsmiling man in the suit that they have always taken reservations for parties of less than 6 people. He looks at my six year old in her party dress about to burst into tears and says "Sorry" and stares at me. I. am. Gobsmacked! I don't want to upset my daughter more by arguing with the dispassionate man in the suit so we leave. By the time we get to the parking lot, my daughter is sobbing and I'm trying to stay calm for her sake and not let this ruin our day together. Let me tell you. I am not amused! The Old Mill holds these events throughout the year and executes them very well, except that they have forgotten one thing: training their staff and having a reservation policy that doesn't change every year (or daily, depending on who happens to pick up the phone!). A word to travellers: if you're planning to go to one of these events, don't believe a word that the first person at the Old Mill tells you when you call (or the second, or even maybe the third!) you'll need to call back multiple times to be sure that you will actually get in the door.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank CorinneJ M
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear CorinneJ M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor with regards to our Mother's Day Brunch. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to accomodate you for this special event. The Old Mill Inn is one the most popular venues in the City of Toronto for special event family brunches. It has been policy for many years to take reservations for these highly anticipated events for groups of 6 or more as these reservations are more difficult to seat without notice. We make every effort to ensure that all other guests are equally tended to with minimal wait times.

I would like to personally have the opportunity to welcome you back and extend a future courtesy for you and your daughter. Kindly contact me directly and I would be happy to make arrangements for you.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to The Old Mill Inn.

Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

After looking at TripAdvisor Site - I telephoned The Old MIll & Spa from UK to order a Wedding gift for some Canadian Friends of mine. I spoke to a most helpful lady called 'Barb' - who could not do enough for me. She explained the various options and I took her advice. A suitable gift card was received by my friends the next day, I am told it was well presented and very informative. They were delighted. I shall let you know what they have to say once they use their gift voucher.
Mary H
England

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary H,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience of telephone customer service you received here at The Old Mill Inn & Spa. We take pride in ensuring all of our guests from near and far and well serviced in every capacity.

We truly hope that your friends will enjoy their stay with us. I would be happy to make their stay extra special if they contact me directly.
We look forward to making their stay memorable.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Spent 3 nights at the Old Mill Inn. Great hotel, Tudor style, Old English, garden courtyard and quiet. Don't need a car from this property. In fact, the Bloor Line of the TTC Subway is just a few steps from the property.

Tip: when you arrive at the hotel, go to the TTC Subway Station (Old Mill Station). Attendant on-duty always. Buy tokens for the line. You can get anywhere on Bloor or Yonge Street from here in a few minutes. No parking hassles. No traffic. Easy-peasy. It's about a $40 cab fare from YYZ.

Enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the quiet of the hotel due to food poisoning from a Thai restaurant down Bloor (NOT in the hotel). No soda machines in hotel though so you will have to order all drinks room service (pricey with delivery charges). Room service breakfast is a tad steep as well for the value once you pile on delivery, taxes, etc. This is an upper-end hotel catering to gold-card credit card holders and above.

Didn't have much interaction with staff as we didn't see many of them. Didn't hang out in the restaurant or bar. Front desk staff was a bit "meh" on their end - not terribly excited about their jobs but were willing to help if asked specifically.

Room bathrooms are gorgeous with separate shower and 2-person tub and separate doored toilet area.

But for fun, try to find your way to the conference centre doors from the front desk without a hotel map. You'll end up walking in circles, up stairs, then down stairs, then up more stairs, around more corners. It's sort of fun. Trouble is, coming back on TTC Subway late at night, side doors to conference centre are locked so you will be forced to walk all the way around the hotel to main doors. Hope it's not raining.

Overall, good experience which could have been better if we had chosen our first meal in Toronto better and chosen something other than rancid Thai down Bloor. But give Old Mill a nod and a smile. It's a nice place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear attitudeguy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with future travelers on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had "fun" walking around the corridors and experiencing the heritage of The Old Mill.

I am sorry to hear that the Front Desk did not welcome you with the warmth and gusto that we have become famous for. I will personally address this with our staff, as it is important that all of our guests feel a genuine desire to make our guests feel at home.

We hope that will choose to come visit us again and to show you our heart felt welcome.

Montreal
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Beautiful garden almost in the heart of Toronto (15 minutes from downtown).
Beautiful, cozy room with a luxury touch.
The minuses : breakfast with limited choices and no help for luggage at our arrival.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uphnguyen
Dear uphnguyen,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Old Mill Inn & Spa. We are happy to here you enjoyed your room, however, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our breakfast offering and luggage service.

We offer a complimentary continental breakfast which includes pastries, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, smoked salmon, juices, tea and coffee. We also offer an a la carte menu for those who wish to purchase and enjoy a hot breakfast, which is available both in room service and in our Terrace room.

With regards to luggage service we do offer luggage assistance and concierge services 24 hours a day. If the immediate staff is engaged with another guest, we certainly make accommodations for all of our guests as required.

We hope that you will choose to visit us again and if there is anything you need we will always be happy to help.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Gorgeous experience - lovely hotel, wonderful rooms.

Loved the spa.

With a place this exquisite, one would expect luxurious bed linen like FRETTE, with FRETTE bathrobes and towels. Unfortunately, they skimp on this aspect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear timaccen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with other travelers on Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at The Old Mill Inn & Spa. We have most recently upgraded our linen and bedding in our rooms as of this past month with triple sheeting, satin striped linen and luxurious cushions and throws to accentuate the decor and bedding in the room.

In addition to many other upgrades we have done in the rooms, I am sure the next time you visit you will notice a difference that will enhance your experience.

We hope that you will visit us again to enjoy the many upgrades.