“Low price compared to other b&b but not worthy”
Review of Ada's Guesthouse

Ada's Guesthouse
Ranked #59 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Low price compared to other b&b but not worthy”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I, together with my parents, visited Toronto at the ending of May and stayed for 3 nights. We really chose Ada's Guesthouse because all the others were already booked, or were to expensive for us. The prices were fine, but here are our impressions.

ARRIVAL AND PROPERTY:
First of all, the building is very well situated, near a metro station and even you can walk along Bloor Street if you like and reach Bloor/Yonge pretty fast. Near you can find some places to have lunch/dinner, different prices and styles. However, the building was a bit disappointing: it seemed all the rooms were converted into bedrooms, no little common living-room, or small kitchen... In the outside, near the door, there is a telephone so when you arrive you can call the owner to give you the keys (because there is no front desk), but his cell phone was off and we had to wait like 20 minutes. The building has space to park in the backyard, but the cost is 10 CAD per night. The payment is done at the beginning and you don't see the owner again (just leave the key inside the bedroom when you leave). We expected a little of "home warmth feeling" in b&b accommodation.

BEEDROOMS:
We had bedrooms 2 and 6. They both are pretty small, but they were clean (average clean, we expected more). My husband and I stayed in 2. The furniture is very old, the bed was located in a small square corner, the linen were too small for the bed so when I turned while sleeping I accidentally took off the sheets from my poor husband. We had a rough blanket also too small and it was very cold in the room, so sleeping quality was not very good, taking all these into account. The bathroom is small but fine. The shower had a low situated second water tap, which we didn't noticed, and I hit my ankle (nothing serious, but annoying). The room has, however, a small fridge and microwave and a electric kettle, so you can maintain some food and even prepare a cup of tea (if you bring the tea).

PROS AND CONS:
The pros are: cheaper than other B&B/Guesthouses in Toronto, very good situation, near metro and restaurants.
Cons are: small and old bedrooms, cleanliness fine but could be better, too cold in the bedrooms, the absolute lack of "guesthouse/b&b feeling".

In case I come back to Toronto, it is not likely that I repeat our stay here, we concluded it would be better to pay a little more and get something better.

Room Tip: Room 2 seems to be the smallest. Bed installed in a square corner, it was a bit stifling. Oriented t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank reina_darknova

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Daly City, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place has a great location, but not enough of a benefit to justify the cost when for a few extra dollars you can stay at another hotel and actually have a clean room and maid service. I had made the reservation on line based on the website, however when I arrived the website had obviously been done a long time ago because this place is in disrepair and filthy. All I can add beyond the pictures posted that I took is that the manager/owner appears to be a retired person who just wants to get as much money out of this place as possible because he has not repaired the place and tried to overcharge me when I checked in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sdsailboi

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

While I expected to get the bare minimum here for such a low price, I expected a bit more in terms of cleanliness. There really was no assistance from the guesthouse. We were checked in and that was that, there is no front desk or customer assistance. We were supposed to get a free breakfast but if we can't get in touch with anyone at the house....you get the point.

I've stayed at other hostels in private rooms in Toronto for slightly more but I would gladly pay $5 more per night for a decent bathroom that's clean (not full of hair that isn't mine) with a functioning shower head. Beware drivers, parking is NOT included either so you'll have to risk parking in the residential area without a permit or spend some cash for a parking garage.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RapJs
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 6, 2013

good, clean, very safe place, near to many facilities and public transportation, good price
very good for short stay, but because no kitchen in it, only microwave, i won't recommend it for long stay
it is very quite, rooms are clean, contains TV, MICROWAVE, refrigerator, and free wifi

Room Tip: room in the upper stairs is much larger and has good view than lower one all rooms are very quiet...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rastatt, Germany
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was a bit hard to find due to one way streets,but once we were there getting about was easy.
The subway station is just a short walk away, as are various pubs.

Our room was clean, the bed was a bit tight after being used to a kingsized one, but comfortable. there was a wide screen TV, a fridge,microwave, and wifi.
All in all I can give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2012
Ontario
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed at Ada's guest house twice while volunteering at TIFF. It is a great location and very close to the Sherbourne subway station.
Each room has a full bathroom, fridge and microwave, and large TV. I had room 7 this year; last year had room 1 which was larger and on the ground floor. However the room upstairs was more than adequate. The bed was very comfortable and I appreciasted the WiFi.

My only negative was the bathroom could have been cleaner but Norbert (manager) was most appologetic and planned to talk to the cleaners. The rest of the room was very clean.

Next year I may pass on the breakfast offered at Eggsmart restaurant across the street as there is a No Frills grocery store close by and negotiate a lower price and ask for a coffee pot in the room.
I love the quiet location, will be back next Film Festival!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank judylamb
Ottawa
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is my third stay. A series of appointments brought me to Toronto and I have now found my home away from home. My first stay is already posted (see August 2011 review). My second stay was at the end of May in Suite 1. The room is large and sufficient for two people.

This last stay, I had Suite 8, upstairs which is basically the entire third floor of the original house! The pictures on their website do not do it justice. It has a nice big hallway with mirror, a kitchen with an old Eaton’s full size refrigerator (can be noisy and goes on often), sink, microwave, table and two chairs. The living room has the original old brick fireplace (as does Suite 1 if I recall) which is not in use but nicely presented. A nice flat screen tv is affixed to the brick of the fireplace. All rooms have modern furniture (think IKEA). The living room has a sofa, two end chairs, a table, and an working table (with chair) where you can plug in your laptop or do some work. Also has large Toronto photos affixed to the walls. The bedroom also has a TV! What a bonus for late night movies/news! Large bed, two night tables, big closet and dresser. The bed did not have a duvet as pictured, but a blue blanket. I am not sure if they did this because it was the summer, but it was the same in May with Suite 1. The bathroom is a little small, just enough for one. There is a bathtub with a shower. The sink is a bizarre rectangle shape and you cannot bend your head down to wash your face etc. because you will hit the medicine cabinet which is placed too low. I used the shower to face wash.

From the bedroom, there is a big balcony! Huge! It sits right atop the addition to the original house. You can get a good skyline view of the buildings in vicinity and if you peak to the right, you can get the needle view of the CN tower! There is a small table and two chairs. I also found in the large closet a sun umbrella and hooked that up to the balcony railings as there is lots of sun! A nice way to spend a summer evening!

Suite 8 has three rooms, plus a balcony all at a great price! I stayed two weeks and negotiated a price and I also did not opt for the Eggsmart breakfast. You can stock yourself with morning brew at the Tim Horton’s, a 2 minute walk situated right across the Sherbourne subway or down the road at NO FRILLS. There is also a Shoppers Drug Mart to heal your weary feet after sightseeing. All is within walking distance to the major sites. Buy tokens to use the subway to save some money.

The manager is Norbert and the owner is Arthur. Both are very personable and are on the scene always looking after the place. Since my last May visit, they have put up an iron fence at the front area, flower beds, temporarily laid out patio stones near the flower area to be eventually used as a gathering area (ie: put some chairs, etc. so I was told) an imitation stain glass for the front door area. Keep in mind, I was told that this house is 150 years old.

The inside suites are nicely appointed, but those carpets that are in the inside need to go. Try to overlook that. I think that they may eventually get rid of them and go back to the original hardwood flooring. That would really add more pizzaz to the place.

The place is VERY quiet! There is little ambience to it because they are all separate rooms and there is not a gathering place so to speak. There is WiFi, AC (so needed because of record breaking heat this summer) fully channelled tv’s and each room has its own bathroom.

I do recommend this place and look forward to my next visit in the near future.

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than 3 or 4 days, I would suggest Suite 8.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business