Making Waves Boatel
  • Breakfast included
Delta Hotels Toronto(Toronto)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewswonderful hostscaptain tedb bcn towerwithin walking distancesmaller cabinsbed breakfastsedge walkeach morningbreakfast was deliciousamazing place to stayother guestsliving spaceown bathroomrogers centreball gameconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I'm not quite sure what I can add to the already rave reviews of this charming hotel alternative but I'll try. We too were looking for a room near the Conference Center for a Green Building annual blowout. We had hoped to find a LEED certified hotel in Toronto, but did not. The regular hotel choices close to the Center were expensive and some were even full. So I googled bed and breakfast choices in the city. Among them was the Boatel which just happened to match not only our pocketbooks (Toronto is expensive) but the fact that it's a ten minute walk from the Conference location. How green can that be! Once on board, the contrast between the noise and hullabaloo of this vibrant Canadian city, was dramatic and delightfully welcome.

If while considering a stay makes you wonder if you'll get sea sick or dizzy, I can say that probably due to completely benign weather, the boat hardly moved. When it did, if another motor boat passed nearby, the effect was minor and made me feel, for one, as though I had gotten up suddenly after a glass of wine. The feeling, not in any way unpleasant, lasted for only seconds. I'm not sure I would feel as sanguine if the weather was less than perfect.

We stayed in the largest of the three quarters, with a very roomy bed and an en suite bath. While dark during the daytime, I was surprised that I did not feel in the least claustrophobic and because I didn't spend much time there during the day, the lack of lack was immaterial. Once on the upper deck and most especially in the breakfast eating area, all you have is light and the views, all around of the Lakefront. Can't be beat.

As the other reviews have noted, the Boatel hosts are perfect. There if you need them, otherwise, you are pretty much on your own. Breakfast was wonderful as were all their touring suggestions, after first determining what sort of touring we preferred.

So if you are planning a trip to Toronto, keep this option on the top of your list.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank ciscogirl20
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I headed to Toronto for a convention and ended up at Boatel by chance because the filled up hotel situation that week. To my delight I discovered a warm and memorable experience. I was treated with more hospitality that I have ever received before by a couple that knows how to make a person comfortable and relaxed. The boat has plenty of room to chill out whether inside for rain or on the back in the sunshine. The harbor area has gone thru a renaissance and Boatel has gardens galore right out the door for both lovers and joggers.

The hosts waited up until after midnight to greet me and when I arrived I mused how nice a shot of scotch would be before bed.. out pops an unopened 15 year old single malt. Now I ask you, have you met someone who was that friendly to you 2 minutes after you met them?

Breakfast was tasty and filling every day, internet and a nice big table allowed me to get some serious work done too!! Botel was perfectly positioned right in the middle of all the Toronto action.

By some odd chance I had an iTouch with a recordings of thngs like rain, streams etc. Well I had a wooden ship recording too, which was a blast to play as I was gently rocked to sleep dreaming of subtropical islands.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
11  Thank Donald C
Boatelboat, Owner at Making Waves Boatel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Our goal is simple, we try to make all of our guests feel at home on the Boatel. It is really nice to hear that we have achieved our goal. Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I had a very nice stay at the Ted and Dianes Boatel, a wonderful experience with nice views good company and clean and comfortable rooms. If you would like to experience living on a boat and have the best location this is the place to go. You will probably gain 2 new friends in addition.
And the breakfast is delicious.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
11  Thank anders_rodell

We're glad you decided to stay with us during your conference. We enjoyed the time with you.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

You can't beat the location. Boatel is right in the harbor in downtown Toronto and my wife and I really enjoyed our stay. Diane and the crew took great care of us. We stayed on their 70ft yacht and walked to the CN Tower, over to the theatre district, minutes from all the fabulous restaurants, and watched the sunsets from the deck. One of the best toronto bed and breakfast experiences ever.

• Stayed: July 2011
11  Thank shepdaddy
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is Toronto's ONLY boat bed and breakfast, located as downtown as you can go; the 'Boatel' is moored in Toronto's Harbourfront. Breathtaking views from the skydeck of the Toronto Islands, CN Tower, Rogers Centre. Owner/operators Ted and Diane Greene are a delight--the Canadians you've always thought you wanted to meet, and in the winter they sail the Boatel to the Bahamas so they're just full of stories. Diane's gourmet breakfast is not to be missed, and apart from the whimsical experience of living, sleeping and eating on a boat for a few days with someone you love, it's ALL about the location!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple