“Underwhelmed”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was so excited to go back to Thai Basil as we have been for the last two years on our annual trip to Toronto. I'm not sure what happened, if the chef was tired (we got there at 9 and they close at 10 on Sundays) but we were a bit disappointed. The tom kha kai soup was flavourful as well as the satai, however the lettuce wraps were only ok. For entrees two people ordered green curry one ordered red and three ordered various pad thai (chicken and shrimp, only chicken and only shrimp). Only my friend with the chicken was raving that it was fantastic. The green curry was a bit salty for my taste and they have a new policy: if you want rice with your curry you have to pay extra!? Last year it was included and they put the extra details of molding it into a star, but I'm sure most people eat rice with their curry so I'm not sure why you would be charged extra. I will say the dessert was delicious, we had fried bananas with fresh mango ice cream for one couple and with coconut ice cream for the other couple. The coconut milkshake was also enjoyable. Overall this time around it wasnt completely enjoyable because I hyped it up for the rest of our friends who had never been, My suggestion, go for lunch or an early dinner

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Good thai food, nice cocktails, but slightly sloppy service

1  Thank Judith H
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Thai basil is another fav spot of mine in the Annex, the food is consistently food, and lots of yummy spicy dishes which I particularly enjoy, there are tons of vegetarian options as well and a very extensive and tasty list of teas to drink. Prices are reasonable and they have good lunch specials as well

1  Thank laura v
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We ordered several vegetarian dishes and found everything very salty. Ordered soup as a starter and it had a taste like stomach bile. No joke. Decor was nice if that what you are going for.

1  Thank beautifultree12
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was sadly disappointed with the Basil Thai restaurant on Wednesday Feb 9th. I took my daughter in for a meal after reading about the good quality of your food, service and atmosphere. Both my daughter and I love Thai food.
Upon entering your restaurant on a very cold day, we were seated adjacent to an outside door that did not close properly and which provided a non-stop draft that turned into a cold blast every time someone entered or left the restaurant. There were several other tables available in the restaurant. I left my leather jacket on throughout the meal.

Servers were around but managed to ignore us for an annoyingly long time. Eventually a server arrived and took our order for drinks. Later that day our drinks arrived and as we had already decided what to eat, we placed our order immediately. We were served Thai yellow curry and chicken stir fry a little while later. The food was bland and we would have liked added sauce and a glass of water, but no servers were around, even though the restaurant was emptying by this time. No server enquired about our satisfaction with the meal at any time.

After eating, we decided not to wait around for desert or coffee because of the slow service, so I managed to flag a server to request the bill. When the server arrived with the bill, I offered a credit card for payment, but she was not ready with a handheld machine. She disappeared and was not seen again that night. Eventually we gave up the wait for the server to reappear, and managed to scrape the correct amount of cash together. We left the money (NO TIP) at the table and left.

What a disappointment.