“A Relief!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Thai in toronto ranges from ok downwards- khao san is a refreshing boost offering good quality food with the genuine thai bite of hot sweet and sour. Yes it's loud and busy but worth the effort. Pad thai is a great dish but diners please be a little more adventurous - thai food offers a wonderful challenging world outside the comfort zone !

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Visited for lunch on a weekday, arriving right at 11:30 and got a table straight away. Within half an hour there was a line out the door.

I started with the Gai Taud Samoon Prai - Fried chicken coated in garlic and kaffir lime leaf with naam djeem. These were okay, nicely crispy coating and not greasy, but a few pieces were enough.

The main arrived very shortly after delivery of the chicken, I understand that they need to keep things moving but a bit more time with the starter would have been good.

For the main I had the Chef's special pad thai, I asked for the spicy version. This was very good with some depth of flavour and good balance between the savoury, sweet and sour elements, however the spice level was not really what I would consider spicy. I really liked this dish and would order it again, but would ask that the spice level be amped up a bit.

Overall this was a good experience and I will return the next time I'm in Toronto.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Once again we tried out the concept of going with Trip Advisor's suggestion for best Thai in Toronto, and once again we came out nodding our heads in agreement. Nevermind the plasticized menu sheets. Nevermind the short list of menu options, compared to the pages and pages you see in the typical thai joint. Nevermind the hardcore punk (and loud at that) music coming out of the sound system. Nevermind the 30 minute wait, despite having arrived at 6:30 PM and there being only two of us. The food makes up for it all. We ordered three items, thinking we would be leaving with a doggy bag, but as it turned out it was enough for the two of us to finish it all. First, garlic chicken, tender and juicy chicken nibblets with a golden deep fried panko crust, and a sweet chili sauce for dipping. Then, chicken panang--delicious and not too spicy, with an order of white rice for mixing in. Last, Pad Thai--the best pad thai I've had, full stop. A very generous portion, too, with crumbled peanuts, a hint of lime juice throughout and just so flavourfull you can't help yourself to keep going at it. :0)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've been here for lunch a couple of times and while the food is good, I find everything a little overly sweet. Overall I like Mengrai on Richmond St E better for everything (food, service, less noisy atmosphere). The one exception is I think the Pad Thai is better at Khao San Road.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

While Khao San Road has its detractions, i.e. they do not take any reservations meaning that one may wait up to an hour for a seat, and the music that they play is loud and decidedly not Thai, all of this is quickly forgotten/forgiven when one finally sits down and starts to eat. At that moment, the clouds part, the harps begin to play and one is in Thai food Heaven. I have been to this restaurant several times now and I have not had one bad dish. Conveniently, the restaurant also offers vegan and vegetarian options, which is great for my kosher friends as well. The pad thai, which so many restaurants in Toronto do badly, is fortunately delicious with nary a ketchup bottle in sight. Be advised that when they say 'spicy', they really mean 'incendiary'-very authentic. The yellow chicken curry is totally delish.