Honest Ed's - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Glad I was able to visit before it closed.

Reviewed June 11, 2017
SnowBees
St. Bees, United Kingdom
Worth a visit before it closes for good

Reviewed November 9, 2016
SFDutchman
San Francisco, California

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 11, 2017

Glad I got to see inside before the doors closed in December. Inside was a bit of a maze but still fascinating and its clear what a local institution Eds must have been in its time. And I picked up an Ed's bargain - some shopping bags that were being sold for 5 x the price in the Toronto tourist info shops!

Reading up on the story of Ed Mirvish is interesting too. Its a shame the store will be lost completely when the redevelopment happens but times change I guess.

1  Thank SnowBees
Reviewed April 21, 2017

Living in the Toronto area we went to Honest Ed's on Saturday's to see if we could get a bargain. As of Dec 31, 1916, Honest Ed's closed it's door for good. It was a bit corny with crazy signs everywhere but it was a well know ans well loved ICON. A piece of history is gone~~~

1  Thank Maureen S
Reviewed March 3, 2017

It seems really strange rating something that is no longer there but Honest Ed's was a landmark that will be sorely missed
I always used to visit it when visiting my Daughter in Toronto and it always cheered me up. I especially liked the "Safe" door which opened out onto Bloor Street
A once glittering corner of Bloor, Bathhurst and Markham Street is now in darkness and has lost all its charm
Ed Mirvish was a wonderful man always caring for the poor of Toronto by giving a Turkey at Christmas and also doing a lot more. Bye bye Honest Ed's

2  Thank Susan998
Reviewed January 8, 2017

Great tradition to go shop at Honest Ed's for amazing bargains and the whole carnival flea market atmosphere of the place.

Reviewed December 17, 2016

I Am so fortunate to have seen this gem ounce and by complete coinsidence. I was visiting toronto for 3 days only and I was bored one day and just decided to see what bloor street had to offer and i told myself I will drive till I see something that i really want to go to and honest eds was it. I really enjoyed it and I also got lost and had to have someone phisically bring me to the front dooor lol. unfortunately I wont be able to go again before it closes my next visiit is only next may but thank you honest eds for staying open till the end of the year giving me the chance to visit

Reviewed December 16, 2016 via mobile

This place reminded me of a dollar store department store with all sorts of gadgets and doo-dads, what nots and clothing. It's not well organized, but that adds to the eclectic charm. Perhaps an OCD person's nightmare?

I love the flashing theatre-style lights. Such a flashy, glitzy exterior for a store that once had recycled orange crates for shelving!

I was fascinated by the concept of the business and by Honest Ed the man! I love his business plan (allegedly a self-made man) and also his legendary publicity stunts! I read on a framed newspaper clipping hanging in the store that he once hired and paid professional protesters to picket his low prices outside the store! LOL! Now if that is not thinking outside the box, err orange crate, I don't know what is?

Honest Ed's autobiography is sold there. I'm not going to lie, I kind of regret not buying it!

I loved the HUGE pictures 5-8 ft poster-size pictures of Ed everywhere. It felt like he was watching you from the Great Beyond. Maybe that deters shoplifting?

From the ubiquitous newspaper clippings, I learned Ed was also a restauranteur and decorated his restaurants (fine dining)with priceless antiques.
I wanted to meet Honest Ed, but it seems he has passed away. Not sure who runs the show now, but Ed's presence is still stamped all over everything and rightfully so.

The bathrooms, in the store, looked like they had not been renovated in the last 30-years. It was like stepping back in time in that regard!

All in all, I loved the experience of exploring Honest Ed's. I don't think I'd buy clothing there, but I bought a souvenir Toronto wooden ornament for my Christmas tree to remember the experience by. You don't run across a place like Honest Ed's everyday. A true gem of Toronto!

2  Thank Linsey H
Reviewed November 9, 2016

Heard about this bargain basement local landmark...then heard that its finally closing at the end of December 2016. Stopped in and saw a HUGE bargain basement with amazingly low prices on everything you can think of. Dated but funky.

Reviewed November 7, 2016

A Toronto icon, "Honest Ed's" is closing it's doors for good at the end of next month.
We had never been to the store and thought it would be our last opportunity to visit the store.
We decided to take a day trip into the city and see it for ourselves.
The huge neon signs on the building definitely were from a different point in time, as were the hand painted signs through out the store.
Knowing that Ed's only has a few more weeks to go, we expected to see more specials, mass displays and more people.
Everything was a bit subdued, prices were definitely not what we expected, and by the time we saw all 3 floors, we were in and out in about 45 minutes.
We had a somewhat strange feeling.
On one hand we felt the place was a let down, yet on the other hand, we were glad we made the trip to see this historic landmark business before it is laid to rest.

Reviewed September 30, 2016

It's one of the biggest stores I've seen.
You can find anything you search, starting from shampoo until groceries.
The prices are really affordable and buying luggage there really worths! Ican't say guarantee the quality of the luggages but I think it worths the price.

Reviewed September 19, 2016

I visited this store 40 yrs ago while visiting Toronto. I had to see it once more before it closes in December. Ed himself being the generous man he was made everyone feel welcome to his special store, a place where everyone could find a bargain. It still stands true today. Those that live in the area will tell you how sad they are to see it go. If you have never been there and you are visiting Toronto, take the time to visit a truly historic site with a lot of local history. A Toronto landmark.