“Hard to say goodbye to good buys!”
Review of Honest Ed's

Honest Ed's
Ranked #11 of 162 Shopping in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New York has Macy's, London has Harrods, Chicago has Marshall Fields, and Toronto has Honest Ed's. "It is quite an attraction - honest," proclaims The Great Toronto Getaway, Buffalo, USA. Built in 1948, Honest Ed's is a landmark store in the heart of Toronto. The sign is lit up using 23,000 light bulbs and the store, although modest, consists of two buildings connected by a sidewalk along Bathurst Street.
Bezeq
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Hard to say goodbye to good buys!”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I was there in time for the Door Opener sales this morning, but being a noob, I dashed down to the grocery department in the basement for my $0.29 figs when I should've hit the 3rd floor, where the bargain cognoscenti were headed. So I wound up one position shy of getting the deal. Anyway, now the rest of you know.
But my trip wasn't entirely wasted. I picked up knock-off "Crocs" style sandals at $3.99 a pair, 3-pack sports socks for $0.99 (the 99-cent sale was on), and a couple tins of Made-in-USA luncheon meat for $0.99 each.
There's an elevator that goes from basement to the 2nd floor but not the 3rd. The store straddles two buildings and is connected down in the basement as well as by a bridge on the 2nd floor.
They accept only cash or debit. It's a real Toronto tourist icon, and the founder is quite the legend (check out the Wiki for Ed Mirvish), his Honest Ed's store proudly and gaudily displaying all his quotes and pictures. It's a good thing food's all around the place--Indian buffets, felafel, and a whole stretch called Korea Town, from Bathurst subway station right there all the way west down Bloor St. to Christie subway station.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank bezeq

Moscow, Russia
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“For Theatre Lovers This Could Be A Trip Down Memory Lane!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Overall, Honest Ed's is a bargain department store from 1948 selling everything from clothing and household items to food and toiletries! It's changed very little over the decades! The marquee sign looks fantastic when it's lit up at night.....definitely worth a post-card perfect photo!

However, I'm writing this for theatre lovers that live in Toronto or that visit Toronto to see the shows. Ed Mirvish created Honest Eds, and he's also the namesake of "Mirvish Productions" that have produced some of the biggest musicals and theatrical shows in Toronto's history.

The walls of Honest Ed's from top to bottom, including the stairwells and nooks & crannies, are covered in theatre posters from Mirvish shows through the decades. It's a theatrical history trip with star-studded posters and pictures from the shows. For anyone that's interested in theatre and its past, it's quite a treat.....a mini theatre museum!

Sadly, the posters are not for sale (most of them are signed by stars and their home is on the walls of Honest Ed's)! BUT there's a tonne of other shopping you can do while you're there!

Enjoy the nostalgia of a piece of Toronto history!
AND I suggest to buy a few things while you're there! Honest Ed's is old and needs support so that come condominium doesn't take its place!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank dadarren
Toronto, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fun romp or existential horror, you decide”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

As mentioned in earlier reviews, this place, for the most part, is really only appreciated by the locals. It's very kitchy and campy, there is a lot of junk, a lot of crap sold here. It's like walking into an attic full of stuff that no one wants, but in that same allegory, that's what makes it interesting. I think that's why Toronto fights so hard to keep it around, because it's been around forever and it hasn't changed at all. It's run down, Ed Mirvish will always be there to greet you from his frame and the scores of famous faces all over the walls will always be a constant. People expect it to be crappy.

So if you come here, don't complain about it, you've been warned. I love it because it is such a mishmash of stuff and you truly could get lost in there, it's like being in a horror movie sometimes.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank langtongirl
Buffalo, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Weird, cheap, junky, but FUN and entertaining with low prices.”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Honest Ed's is one of the weirdest bargain stores that I've been in. It's not that clean, it's pretty junky looking and has the ugliest decore(see: gigantic scary moose clock with bulging eyeballs). On the other hand Honest Ed's is full of cheap stuff from ugly and funny t-shirts to socks, nice winter coats and affordable food downstairs. Honest Ed's has a little of everything and some very cool vintage stuff(like a popcorn maker and penny punch). Ed's can take a couple hours to really get through if you're searching for something. I picked up a $3 Canada t-shirt, a hideous $5.99 Bobby Brown t-shirt, a pillow pet beaver for $9.99 and green aple Jones soda. There is a bathroom but it's super nasty.I enjoyed my trip there, but our allergies were acting up inside and we felt better when we left. I'd visit again and go straight for the t-shirt section and pick through the bins...that's where I found the stuff.

Visited February 2012
Gravenhurst, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love it!!”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I loved it, and love it more every time I go to Toronto. Honest Ed's is always on my list of things to do. Sure, there are some junkie stuff and you get what you pay for, but I have found many great bargans there. If your not afraid to root and dig in the bins, I can promise you there is 'gold in them-there-bins'. When I am in Honest Ed's store I can't help but think of the amazing man who created it, his heart must have been as big as the store.
To all you 'snooty' people who say 'I won't return, blah, blah, blah,' good for you as it frees up the bargins for those of us who like a challenge while we shop. The store is'nt for everyone, but I love it. Just be sure to take your GPS in the store with you., because getting lost is part of the adventure. lol

Visited January 2012