“Fantastico food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Cabana

Playa Cabana
Ranked #635 of 8,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, South American, Central American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: There’s nothing quite like a new culinary experience. Lucky for you, we have seven sensational locations! They’re more than authentic featuring unique menus and surprising eats. So stop by, relax and devour some of Toronto’s most exciting non-traditional fare.
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastico food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

12 went for family dinner. Spectacular drinks. Great food, attentive staff.
Just busy and tight quarters.

• Indonesian first
Winnipeg, Canada
“Messy and Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

The outdoor settling was wonderful for a lunch with our son close to his office in Yorkville. Our waiter was attentive and his recommendations were spot-on! We had the chips and salsa for an appetizer and really liked the authentic chips. Checking out others' entrées as they passed by helped us decide and our waiter told us their most popular dishes. The braised beef tacos were absolutely mouth watering--very messy and very delicious! The fish tacos were also yummy and the enchiladas looked like way more than one could eat--but my son did finish them. I will definitely go again next time we are in Toronto.

Mississauga, Canada
“Would Never Go Back!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We ate here tonight for my son's birthday. We had reservations and were given a very high table with very high chairs, not a standard dining table. They saw our son's 90 year old grandmother with us. They saw her struggling to sit on the very high chair. She couldn't get up. Next to this table was a standard dining table. It was empty. We asked if we could sit there because of the grandmother not being able to sit on the chair we were given. A young lady with short dark hair and many tattoos rudely told us that that table was reserved and we would have to vacate the table by 7pm. if we sat there. It was 5:45pm. We also had a reservation. No empathy, no kindness or care of the grandmother and her inability to get up on the other chair. Even when we explained this to her she repeated that they would need the table we wanted at 7pm. This was told to us exactly 4 times by her. We did decide to sit at the standard dining table regardless of what she said. Our waiter was excellent and the food was really good. Although we spent over $200 on our meal, my son was not given anything extra for his birthday from our waiter, no dessert or anything! Disappointing and sorely noticed by us all. We told him we were celebrating his birthday during our meal but it didn't matter to him. We ended up finishing our meal and leaving at 7:20pm. It was not a very festive place. It was not a place I would recommend or go to ever again.

Toronto
“Great Mexican food and margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

We went to Playa Cabana at the last minute when our plans changed, and we were worried we wouldn't get a table on a Friday night given all the positive reviews. We were lucky and we got a table right away.

We had some margaritas. They were smaller than I'm used to, but they were great.

Guaca Fresca was wonderful. Tacos were great---try the pork.

We would definitely return and we are looking forward to trying their other locations this summer.

The only real issue I could find with this place was that when I looked up at one point, there was a few months worth of dust on the light above our table. But hey, it didn't fall on my plate and I left full and happy. :)

• Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Good food, could be better on seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've eaten a lot of Mexican food, here, in the US and in Mexico and it's hard to find really good Mexican in Toronto. Playa Cabana comes really close and their prices are a bit better than other Mexican restaurants in the city.

The good: I had the chile rellanos which you don't usually find on Mexican menus because it's not tex mex. They did quite a good job with it here (yay!) but their sides were only average. The beans were very dense and dry.

The bad: they really squeeze you in at the tall tables. Only the thin people sat between the table and the wall. None of the guys in our party could get in those spots! It was also so loud in the place that I could only hear the people right next to me.

The verdict: I would go again with friends, but maybe not on the weekend,

• Visited June 2014