“Great Mexican food and margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Cabana

Playa Cabana
Ranked #635 of 8,440 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, South American, Central American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: There’s nothing quite like a new culinary experience. Lucky for you, we have seven sensational locations! They’re more than authentic featuring unique menus and surprising eats. So stop by, relax and devour some of Toronto’s most exciting non-traditional fare.
Toronto
“Great Mexican food and margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

We went to Playa Cabana at the last minute when our plans changed, and we were worried we wouldn't get a table on a Friday night given all the positive reviews. We were lucky and we got a table right away.

We had some margaritas. They were smaller than I'm used to, but they were great.

Guaca Fresca was wonderful. Tacos were great---try the pork.

We would definitely return and we are looking forward to trying their other locations this summer.

The only real issue I could find with this place was that when I looked up at one point, there was a few months worth of dust on the light above our table. But hey, it didn't fall on my plate and I left full and happy. :)

• Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
“Good food, could be better on seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've eaten a lot of Mexican food, here, in the US and in Mexico and it's hard to find really good Mexican in Toronto. Playa Cabana comes really close and their prices are a bit better than other Mexican restaurants in the city.

The good: I had the chile rellanos which you don't usually find on Mexican menus because it's not tex mex. They did quite a good job with it here (yay!) but their sides were only average. The beans were very dense and dry.

The bad: they really squeeze you in at the tall tables. Only the thin people sat between the table and the wall. None of the guys in our party could get in those spots! It was also so loud in the place that I could only hear the people right next to me.

The verdict: I would go again with friends, but maybe not on the weekend,

• Visited June 2014
Windsor, Canada
“Loved the food but not the margaritas.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you want to eat at this restaurant you must have reservations in advance. You might get lucky just showing up but call first so you don't waste your time and end up sitting outside on the curb. This restaurant is in a house that looks like it could use a serious overhaul. The furniture is close to falling apart but surprisingly it has a charm of its own. I read on trip advisor about the person at the door who greets and seats you but she wasn't there the night we went. Our server was quite good but my wife and I were very disappointed with the pitcher of margaritas. They just seemed too watery. The food on the other hand was excellent. I loved the fish tacos - delicious. They serve three small tacos per order. A lot of people raved about the guacamole so I tried it and I am a believer. The food was great but the weak margaritas took the edge off the evening.

• Visited April 2014
“SIMPLY AWEFUL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Disastrous customer service, low quality food, way overpriced. The staff at this chop shop are by far the most rude and inconsiderate people I have ever met. When I wanted to complain to the manager about the low quality of food and service I was asked to leave the restaurant. I have never met any place so low in quality and value for money. What a disaster. Definitely not a good place for families

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Livio K
Toronto, Canada
“Just Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

For a place that one has to wait a long time for a reservation we couldnt figure what was all the rage....tiny place, very nice welcoming and friendly service but it was slow.

Food was ok and very affordable but considering the wait time and the hype the food was fine. Wasnt bad, wasnt superb...just ok

• Visited April 2014