“Good mozzarella, very slow service”
Review of Obika Mozzarella Bar - CLOSED

Obika Mozzarella Bar
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Toronto, Canada
“Good mozzarella, very slow service”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I went here as part of a business lunch (group of 8). The location is in a very busy area (passed by many pedestrians in the PATH). I could hardly hear what the waitress was saying when she stood at the other end of the table from me. She was nice enough, but extremely slow. Half our table ordered sparkling water, and the other half wanted tap water. The bottled water came after a few minutes, but the rest of us waited and waited for the tap water. She finally came to take our lunch order and we had to request the tap water again at that time. A few minutes after taking our order we finally got the tap water... that's about 20 minutes after we sat down. The overall service for the rest of the meal just seemed really slow, which is surprising since it's in one of the busiest areas downtown.

For starters we got the platter - 3 different mozzarella cheeses, plus some meats and bread. It was good to try the mozzarella. I'm sure this platter was pricey, but i'd recommend it if you want to try what they are known for (mozzarella!) - in fact, maybe just have the platter and don't bother with the mains. We ordered a mixture of main dishes. I had the pizza - overcooked and nothing special (but not bad). A couple of people had salads. They came in these deep bowls and the general comment was "nice bowls, but not very practical". It was nice for a business lunch (everyone did overall like the food), but i'm not sure I would pay out of my own pocket for it.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank foreverblended

Ottawa, Ontario
“Yummy!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We visited this restaurant during a business stay in Toronto.
I would most definitely recommend cheese lovers to try!

We actually picked it at random as it was close to the hotel.

It is a Wine bar as well..

We ordered a number of things off the menu..
The fried cheese ( I cannot remember the Italian names for any of our orders..sorry :( )
Which was VERY good and big enough to share as an appetizer for two!
Also the salad with artichokes, pumpkin seeds, arugala, onions and fresh croutons, with a side of Fresh buffalo Mozzarella ( at an extra cost)
I would say pass on this one.. the fresh mozza was excellent but the salad really was nothing to write home about.
Their fresh baked foccacia bread was tasty and a nice starter with the olive oil and balsamic they provide you.
We both ordered personal pizzas as our mains...
Pizza Morbidi - no sauce just a variety of cheese... Excellent.. but if you are expecting a typical north american pizza its a touch different. All pizzas are made in a wood burning oven that adds a really nice flavor to the pizza.
Pizza proscuitto- Very good a bit more traditional with the sauce and a salty flavor of the proscuitto!

Overall we enjoyed the restaurant, however we did find the server a touch pushy with ordering more and more food. She kind of even gave us a bit of attitude when we passed on dessert.
All that aside, I will give credit where credit is due and mention she was very educated with the menu and helpful with our decisions.

Price point is a bit high for the fact that it was just pizza... but if you can get past that, it was a wonderful dinner!

Worth a try!
Although good, I would not suggest ordering it.

• Visited March 2013
“Duped by Press”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our late Saturday dinner at Obika was the most disappointing meal we had while visiting Toronto in late November and early December. We chose the restaurant because one of us had passed by a location in Rome and had witnessed the lines. We had been seduced by the hype heralding its Toronto arrival.

The food was for the most part OK, although unremarkable, unmemorable, and overrated. The grilled vegetables were pathetic. The setting is terrible. It is literally located right in the mall and open to pedestrian traffic. The public noise, the visuals, and loud and distracting fountain make for a very uncomfortable dining experience. We insisted on being seated in the indoor space, which is an improvement, but we couldn’t get over our location.

This spot may be fine for a lunch while in the area, but we wouldn’t return.

• Visited December 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Good fresh food”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Part of an Italian restaurant chain. Really enjoyed the food, simple and fresh ingredients.
The restaurant is in a open area of an office building so not the best atmosphere on a Saturday night, but the quality of the food made up for this.

Visited December 2012
Westmont, New Jersey
“Fresh, quality ingredients, true Italian in preparation”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I rarely give a good review of North American Italian restaurants because I don't like North American style Italian cooking with its overuse of garlic and oregano and lackluster pasta. So, I was ecstatic when I found that Obika offered fresh cheeses and pastas and cuisine in the true Italian style--in one word, fresh! The mozzarella cheese board is not to be missed. We tried the three styles of mozzarella--smoked, fresh, and soft--with three toppings (olive, pesto, and tomato). The cheeses were so fresh in taste and smooth in texture (not too rubbery) that it will be hard for me to appreciate mozzarella anywhere else. The smoked style was not overly pungent with flavor, but struck just the right note of smoke without overpowering the cheese. I had the cheese ravioli with butter and sage. The sage must have been recently picked, the leaves were photo-worthy and not mottled. The butter sauce was _butter sauce_, not the oily butter and garlic sauce most restaurants serve in the States and Canada. My husband had the lasagna, which had veal and was a big portion. He would have liked more sauce, but I don't like overly sauced pasta, so I thought it was great. The basket of rustic breads, including an olive loaf, was a nice touch. I can't give Obika five stars for two reasons. One drawback is the atmosphere. Most seats are in the portion of the restaurant that is in the lobby leading to the Hockey Hall of Fame and an office tower. Plus, there was a TV in the dining area that night, perhaps for the Olympics, but I don't like eating with a television blaring. I suppose if I were eating alone, the location would be welcome for the people watching and the television. My other complaint is the limited menu. I would like to see more entree selections, perhaps in place of the pizza selections, but I realize that diners going to Italian restaurants these days demand their pizzas.

• Visited July 2012