“Sorry - a bit disappointing this time”
Review of La Veranda Osteria

Neighborhood: Etobicoke
Cross street: Bloor Street West and Royal York
Transit: Located across the street from Royal York Subway Station
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The first few times here it was all really good - service - food - ambiance. But tonight, about a year since our last visit, it was just so - so. Ambiance on the patio was great and service OK. Bread basket very good. Appetizer calamari average, but the the main, unfortunately, was mediocre at best........... my wife's crab-stuffed raviolli was tasteless, and my seafood linguine was limp and bland.

Too bad, as we do like this place. Maybe it was just an off-night. But with so many good up-and-coming restaurants in the area we're going to give La Veranda Osteria a few months to get it together again......

Too bad - as I generally like this place.

1  Thank Craig J

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were a group of 11 celebrating a birthday. The service was very slow, the food i had was not good, and it was pricey for what it was. It has a very noisy and busy atmosphere. I definitely would not choose this place again.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've never been in a place that was so overwhelmingly.... average. The food was fine. I've had better, I've had worse. I've had veal that was more tender and veal that was tougher. Marsala sauce was okay. So were the veggies. My minestrone soup was alright. Average size portions. Ordinary bread. All the same kinds of comments for my wife's salad and pasta. There was a small dish of grated cheese. Not real Parmesan but not Kraft in a can.

Get the idea? Well, the prices matched the level of food, so we can't complain.

Service was... you guessed it. They did the basic job but nobody refilled the water glasses or came to ask how everything was. And nobody said anything to us on the way out. (We overheard a couple of ladies just outside who considered that it was rude not to smile and say thank you to departing guests.)

As someone said, there are some weird messages. Things written in the menus and on the walls saying that they're not a high-class restaurant, just an osteria, so that's why they're busy. Keep your kids quiet. No separate checks but separate credit cards are okay. On and on like that. Not offensive, just kind of odd.

Parking tip: You can pay on Bloor St. or in the area directly across the street. To the north the side streets allow no parking until after 6 p.m. But to the south you can park on Meadowvale a block away from Royal York and streets to the south of that, plus on streets west of Royal York south of Bloor for up to one hour for free during the day, not well enforced. Should be plenty of time for an ... average ... lunch.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were a party of five and we all had a pasta dish. I would say the dishes were all average- nothing special. Portions were very adequate and service was acceptable. The atmosphere is average, nothing to recommend it. It was fine for a quick meal but I did not feel we got good value for the money spent.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This Italian joint has a gorgeous patio in the summer with lots of beautiful flowers. The food is pretty average but pricing isn't very high...so I guess you get what you pay for...some weird messages in their menu about customer service....service was really great with friendly wait staff!!