“Interesting menu, great food”
Review of Le Papillon Park - CLOSED

Le Papillon Park
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East End
Cross street: Coxwell
Transit: Streetcar: Take the Queen St. car till Connaught Ave. Walk one block south to Eastern and 1 block East to our restaurant. Subway/Bus: Take the Coxwell Ave. bus South to Eastern Ave. and walk 1 block West.
Description: Le Papillon on the Park is Toronto's original neighbourhood French restaurant est. 1974. This latest location reminds guests of a Montreal bistro. The food is authentic French-Canadian accented with French classics. There is much attention to detail in the service and the atmosphere is elegant but laid-back. We are a unique place in the city. A large restaurant hidden in a park one block south of Queen St East, right by the water before the Beach. We serve delicious cocktails, whiskeys and beers upstairs on our tree-lined rooftop patio lounge.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have enjoyed this restaurant many times now. The location (near the end of the gardener expressway, near as Ashbridges bay) is convenient and has great parking as well. The French menu often has a locavore slant, using the best ingredients available. This visit I had the pix fixe offering while my partner ordered off of the regular menu. Dishes were artfully presented and plates were completely emptied by both of us. The French onion soup is a must as is any dish they make with duck.

Long narrow restaurant means you have a sense of intimacy in the large environment. Great roof-top patio with blankets available for chillier nights. Interesting artwork. Tendency to be a bit loud in the main dining room. Service can be slow but is knowledgeable and attentive.

1  Thank KarenFredBen

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We treated friends to a very special night at this joint - in a strange location in the middle of Eastern Avenue, just after Coxwell, neighbouring a second hand car place and the local Canada post distribution centre.

We booked for 8pm - and duly arrived. The place was heaving, the hostesses ignnoring us for 5 minutes. Table will be 40 minutes. My other half - asked for a manager who turned up and explained in a condescending manner it was one of those nights. If it was the 2 of us, we'd have left. No compensation, no free pint or glass of house wine - just attitude - set the tone.

45 minutes after our dinner was booked - we were shown a table by the hostess who never apologised nor mentioned the wait. We asked to move tables as it was beside a party and were treated to an explanation which appeared to be all about tables spread for servers. Tough, we are moving!

The food was completely average. In fact, my deux canards was really not very good, my other half's salmon judged "I could do better myself". As for our friends - the half eaten mains told their own story.

We did not take dessert nor coffee and paid. I did not leave a tip which was greated by huffs and puffs from our server - so I gave them both barrels.

Afterwards, I sent an email to the management and owner - and the reply was breathtaking in its arrogance basically accusing me and my party of not understanding either the restaurant business nor the popularity of their establishment and being a bit more pliable would be good.

Well - here's the thing. You vote with your feet. The dinner cost $210. We used to go to either Sauvignon or Amuse on Queen once a week and spend perhaps $150-$160 - that's over $8K - or roughly $4K per restaurant. Reason - they are great folks, they understand service and the food is sublime.

Perhaps the building beside the ropey second hand car place will learn a hard lesson some day - but from our pitiful experience, never EVER to be repeated.

4  Thank IanCar
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My hubby and I had a wonderful meal at Le Papillon on the Park early on a Saturday evening. The location is ideal for us (we live in Toronto's east end) but I must admit that the smells from the water treatment plant nearby were a little off putting. Luckily, this was counter balanced by a great atmosphere inside.
The staff was wonderful - attentive, quick, cheerful and very knowledgeable about the micro brew beers available.
The food was delicious - we shared the bacon-wrapped scallop appetizer (wow!), I had the beef & pasta special (very nice) and my husband had the pepper steak (heavenly). Unfortunately, I couldn't have any of the wonderful-looking deserts on the menu as I have a dairy allergy )-:
We will certainly be back again!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a family birthday here and enjoyed it a lot. The service was perfect, the food very good and the ambiance interesting. It did get a bit too loud for us as the evening wore on, but we are quite sensitive to that. The desserts and wine were very good.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went here last week with a friend and was looking forward to it, as I live in France at the moment and love French food. Plus, I have always liked Le Papillon on Front St. However, I was sadly disappointed.

The restaurant itself is in a more industrial area, closer to The Beaches. It is nice inside...decorated well, although the lighting was a little too dark. Even with the candles (I asked for a second one), I struggled to see the items on the menu. But, I did not let this bother me at the time...I was mainly here for the food, after all!

I ordered three appetizers, in lieu of a main meal. I had the Trio de Pates (trio of pates)...the servings were on the small side but not bad. They tasted very good. It comes with toasted bread (crostini), however, they did not bring enough in relation to the amount of pate.

I then had the Forestiere Salad (Forest Salad). Again, a minimal portion...and, it contained only THREE thin slices of oyster mushrooms (I counted!!). In a salad with a name like this, certainly the mushrooms should have been a little more plentiful...they are even the first thing mentioned on the menu to describe it.

I then ordered the Petoncles...however, I was told they were 'all out'. So, I ordered the Truite (trout). I was truly shocked at the amount of trout...literally four VERY miniscule pieces. That was probably the most shocking of the three.

For dessert, I had the Creme Brulee. In this instance, the portion was average; not overly small but not generous. At this point, after the three measly portions I had just had (especially the trout!), the creme brulee was welcome!

The service itself was fine - no issues there.

However, I walked out feeling quite deflated after having paid a relatively inflated bill for the amount of food that I actually received. Most disappointing, especially as I had been really looking forward to dining here. I feel like I wasted my money. Unless there was a good reason for me to go back, I won't be. Which is sad, because I like French food. Also to note: in all my time of dining in France, I have never received such small portions for appetizers. They always serve enough to be filling without making you feel like you overate. No excuse for a French restaurant in Canada to be any different!

1  Thank TanyaM212