“Top Rate, didn't disappoint us.”
Review of Ortolan - CLOSED

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We ate here based on a review our friend read. He and his wife met us there and I was sceptical about the neighbourhood. Simple decor and uncluttered menu. There is a good choice on the menu eventhough not extensive. I like this in particular because I don't get overwhelmed by too many choices. This means that the food is prepared with care and lovely presentation. you also savour every mouthful because it is prepared SUPERBLY. The food is fresh and selected from seasonal availability. We went late spring and there was asparagus on the menu. Returned mid-summer and tomatoes were peaking. Can't wait to return in the fall. Staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. I will not sing too much of its praises, because I want to be able to get a table next time I go. Check out their website. Very reasonably price. You probably get more flavour and good food for what you pay. We enjoyed the "let us feed you" option which meant we sampled many of the menu in sample size. So delicious and WONDERFUL experience.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went here with my wife and her friend. The menu changes daily depending on what mood the chef is in. Kind of a wine bar feel to the place. They had a limited selection of spirits, but enough to get by on. The food was great, the Socca especially. Great staff, not too pushy or full of themselves. We had a nice time.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love this place.

Atmosphere: This place is very simply designed and only has room for about 30 seated guests (give or take a few). I love that it is small and comfortable.

Staff: Are you kidding me? So well versed and just plain lovely. Great hiring choices.

Food: There is a chalk board that you can order from, as the food changes regularly based on what the Chef found that is good quality. There were 4 of us so we got all of the appetizers to split. Each one was better than the next. For the main course we all ordered different things as well. I got the gnocchi which was melt in your mouth rich and my friends got veal and flank steak. Also very good. I suggest their home made Blood Orange pop too! yummy!

Some people complain about the portion sizes, but I am not really sure why. I think if you tried to eat anymore Gnocchi then they give you, you might explode. Mixing the REGULAR size mains with apps was more than enough for 4 of us. I found the prices to be super reasonable as well, particularly after such great food and service.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I dined here in January based on a review in our local weekly cultural magazine. The food surpassed our expectations and the bill was lower than we thought it would be. The cuisine is organized Mediterranean-style, with limited appetizers, pasta dishes, meat or fish mains, side dishes and desserts- about four of each. I am a vegetarian and my partner is an omnivore. We each had one appetizer, a main and a side dish. The server recommended a wine that was an excellent match for our food. The menu reflected what was fresh and available (in January, there is not much fresh local food) but it was obvious the chefs have a preference for local and the best available. The food was flawless and the service attentive.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Excellent find, although the quantities are quite small compared to the prices on the menu.
But the quality: outstanding! Fine cuisine chefs on the work. Toronto's best retaurants have something to learn from them.