“Unexpected excellence at a small hotel restaurant”

Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel
Ranked #724 of 9,135 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: North York
Description: Welcome to Trio at Novotel. We've got craft cocktails, great beers and awesome food for you to enjoy! Lose yourself in a sophisticated environment of lounge style music, sleek modern furnishings and urban style decor. You won’t find a more desirable place for special occasions or dinners with friends. Located in the fashionable and cosmopolitan district of Toronto North York. Trio at Novotel is about much more than just taste, it’s about experience. An opportunity to relax and enjoy great food, with select international wines whilst being served in a friendly yet professional environment.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Because of the limited menu, I chose not to eat in the hotel restaurant my first 3 nights' stay. But dragging on day 4 meant I didn't want to go out, as well as the weather being rainy/windy.

So, I chose the Trio and was unexpectedly impressed with the food!

The menu IS limited, but I had the warm goat cheese salad to start. The spinach and endive were perfectly dressed with a yummy vinaigrette and came with a generous supply of walnuts and big juicy dried cranberries. Topped with a very large soft-toasted round of goat cheese... it was perfect. Yummy!

I then chose the only pasta entrée, the rigatoni Bolognese. I was not disappointed. Despite preferring my Bolognese on tagliatelle, the meat sauce was very, very good. Chunks of carrot and onion were visible; the fresh-shaved parmesan on top made me a happy camper.

With a glass of Italian pinot grigio, meal was $32 (sans tax or tip).

I will definitely eat here again before I depart the hotel next week!

1  Thank Sarge56

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Thanks so much to Cathy, the chef and staff at Trio Restaurant. Hosted a dinner party with 7 young professional couples who had never visited the restaurant before for a meal - neither had we! What a great first impression - and a great night. We'll definitely be back. Cathy, the food and beverage manager, worked overtime to earn our business although we initially planned to go to another local eatery. Once I explained our vision for an intimate, affordable and relaxing evening with a great menu, she went to work and came up with a custom menu in a jiffy that met our budget and taste. We met for a tasting and she welcomed feedback on the food and proposed menu with the utmost professionalism. I was also very pleased that the chef joined our meeting so he could ensure every detail was perfect for our event. After our meeting, Cathy answered every question promptly, accommodated last minute changes and noted every detail - down to our request for 'homemade' hot sauce with a Caribbean flare for each guest. When our big night arrived, the table was nicely presented, the soulful background music set the mood, and the wait staff was absolutely superb! Most of all, the food was scrumptious - what a menu! (Personally, I loved the goat cheese brie & macadamia nut balls followed by bay salmon with pineapple chutney then the chocoholic mousse cake. Delicious.) I only wish the portions were a bit bigger for the main and dessert. I loved every bite and would have been happy to eat more. Free parking was nice added perk too. All of our guests had a fantastic time and raved about Trio after our gathering. None of us had been there before. All of us agreed we would be happy to come back. We hope to book again soon. Definitely a place I'd recommend for a dinner party, date night, drinks with friends or the like. An uptown gem that has all the perks of downtown spots - without the downtown Toronto hassle. If you're reading this review, hope it helps!

4  Thank emily m
Michael S, General Manager at Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to offer such great fedback, and of course to recognise Cathy and the team. She is a workaholic, totally committed to the success of Trio.
Plus I know you are back soon, thanks for choosing Trio, look forward to meeting you again.
Cheers, Michael.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was not my first visit to the Novotel restuarant but it is my first review. The service is always good, efficient and attentive. I have always found the food to be of good quality and well presented. The atmosphere is relaxing and unasuming.

2  Thank June B
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked last minute at this restaurant and were not disappointed: the staff were very friendly and immediately validated our parking ticket-the place was clean and seating was comfortable- although there was a prix fixe menu-it was fresh, original and tasty-we will certainly revisit this restaurant and highly recommend it!:

2  Thank Indie75
Michael S, General Manager at Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you, thank you.... I'm glad you had a great meal experience with us. Summerlicious is so popular and it gives us a chance to reach out to a much larger audience than normal.
Hope you will come again.
Cheers, Michael.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I will begin by admitting that we didn't actually eat here.
We made reservations and we headed over and we walked in and were seated at our table. we were given our menus and the waiter brought us water. I didn't even drink the water because the place smelled bad and I was put off. Moments after the water arrived, however, we got up and left.
In fairness I would never have crossed the threshold if it weren't for my husband... he's always for giving places a chance. But it had NO atmosphere. I've seen better atmosphere in dingy train station cafeterias in the wee hours of the morning!
Between the atmosphere and the smell, I couldn't imagine enjoying a meal and have a hard time imagining that the food would be all that wonderful. But I will concede that it may have been.

Michael S, General Manager at Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Ouch. This one hurts. Firts time I've checked to see if it was us. Sorry it is.
I'm sorry you did not like the design of the restaurant, I suppose it is a personal thing, everyone has their own taste... please see the pictures on Tripadvisor.
I'm more sorry that you did not give us a chance and try the food, Summerlicious has been very succesful for us and we have a regular following. Please do not let a "smelly glass of water" stop you from trying us again.
Thanks, regards, Michael.

Travelers who viewed Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel also viewed

Been to Trio Restaurant and Bar at Novotel Toronto North York Hotel? Share your experiences!