“Friends, Fun and Fantastic Food”
Review of Chowbella Taste & Travel - CLOSED

Chowbella Taste & Travel
More attraction details
Owner description: Chowbella is Toronto's premier food tour company. Our walking tours are led by a local who is equally as passionate about showing off her city as she is about food. A little bit educational and heaps of fun, the tours offer VIP treatment, insider tips and ‘behind the scenes’ access to the city’s hippest neighbourhoods, best gourmet shops/restaurants and, of course, the most delectable food…tastings included! So, bring your appetite and your most comfortable walking shoes, let’s go outside and explore this exciting city through our taste buds!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Trina truly knows how to make a culinary experience an interesting one. We began our tour at the Olive Pit which had incredible old world charm. Tasting the olive oils, vinegars and olives was quite educational and although there was absolutely no pressure to purchase anything, I had to take a couple of my favorites home. Tealish was delightful. After trying three teas we perused the shop finding those and others that struck our fancy to take home. A third stop was Delight. The cheeses we tried there were delicious and my only regret was not being in a position to purchase only because of transporting it home safely. Again a great learning experience. Other stops included a tasting at a pastry shop and another stop, a cupcake shop. I tried the peanut butter cupcake with peanut butter icing and it was fantastic. We ended our tour sampling a dish called poutinne which I would have not tried without the tour and it was very tasty. While visiting these establishments we learned about the history of the area in which they were located. Trina asked questions before hand to get a feel for our group then designed a tour that was a highlight of the trip. I recommend giving ChowBella a whirl when visiting Toronto.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Very good food aside, this foodie experience was one of the best I had in the city. The pace, the information and the food were all exceptional and complements the vibrant vive of Evergreen Brickworks. I highly recommend this experience to any foodie wanting to know more about local food in Ontario.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

First off, full disclosure: I won a spot on the inaugural Evergreen Brickworks Tour. That said, for the listed price, I think this is a fabulous deal.

For the $80, you get four full hours of a guided tour not only of the market section of Brickworks, but an informative historical tour of the entire grounds. There's not only great farmer's goods available, but you can purchase from a wide selection of crafts, art, tasty artisanal prepared foods.

I'd been to the Brickworks before, but hadn't explored past the market area, so was delighted to visit the back end where there's beautiful green space, and a pond with lotuses, flitting dragonflies and turtles! This is where we learned so much I didn't know about the programs available at this eco community centre.

But what may be the highlight of the afternoon is an included lunch with Chef Brad Long, prepared exclusively with ingredients purchased in the market or grown in the rooftop gardens. It was a generous and delicious meal, in a quaint setting that made it thoroughly enjoyable.

I would absolutely do this again, and recommend it to anyone looking to find an unusual and fun way to explore an off-the-beaten-path gem in Toronto, whether you're a visitor or a resident.

1  Thank BNW70
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I very much enjoyed the Queen West tasting tour with Trina - every place we visited provided exceptional service and delicious food and drink. I especially enjoyed the tea, cupcake, cheese, and poutine tastings along the way! As someone who (sort of) lives near the area, I walk by a lot of these places all the time without actually going in and exploring what they have to offer. Now that I know they are there, I intend to return as a paying customer!

A very well done addition to the many food tours available in this city - if I have any suggestion re areas to explore for future tours that might be more "off the beaten track", I would recommend Little India, Roncesvalles Village, Leslieville, and The Beaches as possibilities.

2  Thank VAH1965
See more reviews
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I've always enjoyed the vibe of the Queen St W area but now after this tour, it just reinforced how much im in really in love.

Trina put together a great line up of specialty stops that each offered something to be desired. Her passion and knowledge as a bonafide foodie radiates and is seen as she took us through her tour. I was so impressed at each stop we made - from the tastings, interactivity with the shop owners to the selection of food. From olives to cupcakes to local cheese and to my new favourite bakery in the city ( and much more) this tour will guide you to discover what delicious new gems Queen W has to offer.

I felt Trina did a great job of selecting a wide range of stops that were complimentative to each other yet also each offering something unique. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend this tour for all food lovers.

1  Thank Esselvee