“Excellent cusine”

Neighborhood: Little Italy
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent cusine”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The cuisine is outstanding, although not exotic. Flavors work well together, but nothing overwhelming. Definitely fresh, top quality ingredients. The raw trio,beef tartare, tuna tartare and whitefish ceviche was very good. Oysters Rockefeller were excellent. The pork trio was very interesting, with a great combination of flavors. Veal tenderloin was delicious, although the accompanying short rib was really dry. Good drink and wine list, not overly pricey. Servers were very knowledgeable, with service being very good. The ambiance is cramped, but the vibe was vibrant. The caliber of food here needs a better home. Table cloths would add tremendously to the experience. No room for dessert, but the chocolates were fantastic.

• Visited August 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Great Food in Little Italy.”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had a wonderful meal at Frank's kitchen. I did not have a reservation, but it was a Sunday evening and it was not that busy (which seems like an exception as this place is often packed, I hear). I felt quite welcome. The service was gracious. The breads were wonderful (I was served a brioche, a Viennese mini baguette and a mini focaccia with an olive tapenade). The amuse bouche was a small serving of sweet pea soup with creme fraiche, swet peas and fresh herbs. I ordered the veal tenderloin, braised short rib and bone marrow stuffed arancini in porcini jus which was absolutely wonderful. The veal tenderloin required little chewing and was cooked to perfection. The short ribs were quit flavourful. The arancini was the perfect accompaniment for the proteinaceous meal. The service was very friendly and attentive. Restaurants often tend to neglect the single diner but that was not the case here. I felt quite well taken care of. Everyone was quite courteous. I highly recommend this restaurant and will be eating there more often.

Toronto
“Cramped, noisy and delicious!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Frank's Kitchen on College Street a real happening place. The narrow busy restaurant is loud, but being right up against your fellow diners and putting up with all the noise is well worth it. The food is outstanding! Farm to table fresh ingredients prepared with precision and lots of complex flavours. Menu is somewhat limited. Only fish option is the catch of the day. They do not welcome any modifications to menu items or substitutions. It says this right on the menu and it's a rather ridiculous practice considering some people cannot eat certain things. Waiters are friendly enough, could be more attentive and you are not rushed. Frank's is quite expensive. Appetizers are about $17-20. Great meal, upbeat atmosphere and a haven for real foodies.

• Visited July 2014
Thank Take my word for it...
Lilly W, Owner at Frank's Kitchen, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Just to clarify for other site readers, we absolutely accommodate any allergies. And though we only have one fish of the day we have multiple seafood options.

Thank you, and hope to see you soon!
Toronto
“Best Value in Toronto -- Incredible Food”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I should start by saying that this type of cuisine is not my wife's favourite food, as she is a bigger fan of Asian foods. But she gushed to me this is her favourite restaurant and some of the best food she's ever tasted. Traveling a lot and having eaten at many restaurants around the world, I would be inclined to agree. I love how the restaurant makes nearly everything in house, and expertly. From the bread to the complimentary chocolates when the check arrives, Frank's Kitchen seems to have a hand in making whatever comes to the table. The beef shortribs tonight were melt-in-your-mouth tender and the beef striploin was surprisingly large and cooked to perfection. I don't know if one can find fine dining at this value anywhere else.

Service is terrific and there are so many extra details that show they have considered the whole experience.

UK
“Great food and service”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I decided to treat myself to a three course meal during my trip and picked Frank's Kitchen from the great reviews.

Despite arriving a bit flustered (due to a walk and a cold) I was greeted kindly and given a spot at the bar. I felt a bit under-dressed (as I had been out for the day) but I didn't feel treated any differently to any other customer. I ordered oysters, seafood for main and tarte tatin for dessert.

The whole experience was a real pleasure from the complimentary breads olives and hummus, amuse bouche and the palate cleanser sorbet. The service was fantastic with each dish presented and each part pointed out by the server. The food was delicious however I did find the tarte tatin disappointing as the pastry was soggy. But I would still give the place 5/5 purely for the service.

Yays

Great complimentary quirks
Delicious food
Lovely atmosphere

Nays

A bit on the pricey side

• Visited September 2013