“I Felt Like a Local”

Small-Group Gourmet Dinner Tour of Toronto's Little Italy
Ranked #1 of 49 Food & Drink in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Your Culinary Adventure Starts Here. Since, 2010, we have worked hard to become Canada's largest and "Best Rated" culinary adventure company - we showcase the best of Ontario. Whether joining us for the first time or looking for a unique gift or special occasion - we have an award winning culinary experience to fit everyone's palate. Explore the dozens of Food Tours, Culinary Adventures or Class, we offer, there is something tasty running EVERYDAY. Join us.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I joined Chef Scott on the Riverside/Leslieville tour with five other guests in April, 2012. This was my first trip to Toronto and I wanted to see an area beyond downtown. I love food and history – this tour combined both. We took a leisurely walk around the area, making five or six stops to different small stores and restaurants with welcoming proprietors. We learned about sustainable seafood, sourdough bread, and olive oils. We walked through wonderful small neighborhoods and felt welcome.

Chef Scott, although claiming himself not a tour guide, had great stories about the history of the area. He understands the dynamics of a group and let us get to know each other without feeling uncomfortable. Scott is an affable “fat chef” (his words, not mine), who has a passion for food and the food area of Toronto. Being a foodie myself, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him about food and getting some tips from a professional. Well done Cheffy!

After the tour is over we adjourned to a local pub, had a few local beverages, and talked more about food. We met some of the local folk in the area and kept the party going. Yes, Scrappy is a real person, a jewel of a lady – pleasure to meet her.

As luck would have it, Chef Scott’s girl was out of town for the evening. He suggested the tour continue. He secured a great table at Salt Wine Bar where the Chef and I met up with some of our other tour mates. The tapas were some of the best food I had in the city. The confit chicken wings and lobster ceviche were especially outstanding.

The night continued on, more special Toronto establishments were shown to us. We met bartenders who were like great chefs themselves, but with alcohol. It was truly a wonderful experience. Thank you Chef Scott – I’ll be back!

6  Thank Joe K

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Did this for my boyfriend's birthday. It's just the two of us and Chef Scott but it's still tons of fun. We had a couple of cocktails along with a lot of "WOW!! I have never tasted anything like this and would it be embarrassing if I lick the plate clean" food. Chef Scott is very knowledgeable and nice. It is very hard to put the whole tour into words and describe the food we had. We even brought a camera but did not take any pictures because it's all about the experience. Pictures can't do any justice. We definitely will go back for other tours.

4  Thank Bluejade79
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Having lived in Toronto my whole life, I wasn't sure how much I would get out of this tour but went with some friends for something different to do - we had a great time, and the evening was enjoyed by both the hard core foodies and the more easy going eaters alike. Leader Chef Scott seemed to read the group dynamics well (there were basically 2 separate groups of friends that participated during our outing) and was able to take the lead and pull back at the right times to let the conversation roll. Tons of food and drink were served so it was very good value for money, at excellent establishments that were new to me (and I dine out a lot!) that I would all return to on my own.

8  Thank askmal
Reviewed November 19, 2011

A friend and I joined Owner Chef Scott on the Little Italy tour and we had a ball. Chef Scott knows the food scene and the people who make it happen in Toronto--and beyond! I now feel like I am a food "insider" in Little Italy and know it will be a frequent stop for me, from now on!

3  Thank phillypam1132
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Let me begin by saying that I'm just not a girl who uses tour guides. I've had bad experiences with them (from drunken to beligerent to getting lost) so I usually avoid them like the plague. When my friend asked me to join her on the Culinary Adventure Company tour of Little Italy in downtown Toronto I hestitated but finally relented.
Scott Savoie, owner, operator and tour guide makes it very clear right from the get go. He ain't no tour guide. He's very adroit at entertaining and mixing with people. The tour started with cocktails and charcuterie at the Toronto Temperance Society which is a private cocktail lounge (you need a swipe card to get in) that is a total throw back to the prohibition years. We started with two pre-selected cocktails that were both absolutely outstanding. What a great way to start off the tour! We nibbled on charcuterie, cheese, smoked nuts, ceviche and olives.

From there we went off to Briscola, a popular Italian hotspot on College Street. All along the way as we walked over Scott kept pointing out all sorts of interesting little spots and filling us in on the history of Little Italy. At Briscola we dined on fried olives, gorgeous fresh Burrata cheese drizzled with olive oil & herbs, thin crust tartufi (mushrooms) pizza and short ribs braised in balsamic that sat atop of bed of barley risotta. We washed this meal down with a couple of glasses of red Cabernet Sauvignon.

Off to the next spot. L.A.B. It's a restaurant that is founded in molecular gastronomy. Now I'm not a big keener for this new age culinary razzle dazzle but when Chef Dubrovsky smoked the liquor right at our table to concoct our Smoked Manhanttans (think Mad Men) I was was completely sold. My fave dish of the whole night was the starter at L.A.B. which was a pumpkin soup with a splash of basil oil on it. I could have licked the bowl. From there we moved to a butter poached lobster atop a corn mousse, with corn niblets, corn smut and deep fried corn silk. Ok, I was thoroughly impressed. This was followed by duck done two different ways. Wow. Dinner was accompanied by a lovely white wine from Organized Crimes and a wickedly great red Italian wine (the name escapes me) but it was from the south, Puglia as I recall. We finished up with a lovely light dessert with a fruit ice atop a piece of cake. The presentation was absolutely stellar. I'd definitely go back to L.A.B. on my own.

The evening flew by and I have to say that Scott Savoie was simply one of the most fun, entertaining and engaging tour guides I've ever had the good fortune to meet. For the $140 price tag it was simply worth every penny. The Little Italy tour is all that and a bag of chips! La Dolce Vita!

9  Thank coopspeak