“mediocre for the price”
Review of Toca

Toca
Reserve with OpenTable
Toca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Transit: St. Andrew (King) Subway station
Description: TOCA offers handcrafted Italian cuisine complemented by seasonal flavours and locally-sourced produce. Located in the heart of Toronto's Performing Arts & Theatre District, TOCA occupies the mezzanine level of The Ritz-Carlton hotel. TOCA is proud to collaborate with Chef Oliver Glowig, one of Rome's most celebrated culinary leaders.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a nice dinner with some good friends to celebrate a 50th birthday. We had the price fixed menu and thought it was fine....they removed the fancy fish and chips from the menu (lobster fish and chips), which was a big bummer. They changed the menu which was mediocre compared to the menu they had last year. The service was less than attentive on that night...we had to ask for bread 3 times before they finally delivered it. Our server was very nice but we had a hard time understanding his accent. I wouldnt say it was a bad night but I can say the service and menu changed since the last time I was there.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We booked a table for our work Christmas party in Dec and selected a pre-fix menu list. We were all very pleased with each course and the generous portion size. The staff were very knowledgable, went for the cheese room tour. Lovely atmosphere overall!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Superb Canadian cuisine. The market brunch I highly recommend. The service is excellent. The cuisine is wonderful. One of the best restaurants in the city.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had the privilege to try TOCA at breakfast, lunch, dinner and for the Sunday brunch. Every time, the food was inventive, really full of flavour, yet simple and approachable. Located in the Ritz, my family and I had the posh experience, but were greeted in a warm and friendly way. I especially loved the sharing dishes - totally appropriate for a few people to share. The beef tartare was really well seasoned, the potato tiza were another treat. These 2 dishes were on the menu when I went for lunch. The price we paid was affordable, especially when choosing the business lunch option.

I would recommend trying the Sunday brunch, a buffet style with an omelet station, amazing salads, a fennel soup to die for, roasted venison and beef Wellington, lobster, a baked brie, a truffle creamy potato gratin, were only few of the dishes available that Sunday. The young chef and her brigade were really friendly and greeted many of the clients. Totally worth the price.

The personnel was also super friendly with my young son. All in all, an experience that surpasses expectations.

1  Thank OliveFoodie
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This restaurant located in the very posh Ritz hotel is a sad reminder that a prestigious name does not necessarily mean quality.

We went there with the family for the New Year Brunch. At 90CAD the expectations were quite high. The brunch was buffet style. They had the meat section, hors d'oeuvres, breads, desserts,etc.

First thing we tried was the Ravioli pasta, it was horrible! The past was soggy, and the sauce tasted liked canned. It reminded me of my bachelor days when I used to buy those crappy pre-prepared pasta sauces. I tried the quail , it was bland, had no taste whatsoever. My wife tried the fish, it was fishy, tasted old and was not properly seasoned.
I also tried a bit of the Roast beef, it was raw. Basically you did not have the choice. The meat was either rare or raw, it was bloody. I like to eat my beef medium rare. It shows a very poor skill from the chef to have that kind of roast.

We were tired of the crappy food, anyhow we keep trying more dishes, we tried the steamed veggies, the salads, everything was very disappointing.

We moved on to desserts, the muffins were bad, I mean very bad. They tasted like pre-prepared mix. Something you will make if you were a 10 years old with a new baking set for starters. The other desserts did not have the right combination of flavors, they were awkward. The only dessert that were really good, were the mini cheese-cakes and the mini creme brulee; They were very yummy!. These and the good service from the waiter makes this review a two instead of a one.
Conclusion:
Do not go TOCA , it is not worth all that money.

1  Thank LavanderiaChina