“A bit like eating in Niagara Falls”

The Fifth Grill & Terrace
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fifth Grill & Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #551 of 8,509 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: SW corner of Richmond and Duncan
Description: Located on the rooftop of an old warehouse within Toronto's Entertainment District and accessible by a private elevator, The Fifth Grill & Terrace is an experience you should not miss. The press has called us 'a glamorous hideaway' and our terrace 'the best patio in Toronto'. Serving modern French cuisine created by award-winning executive chef JP Challet, The Fifth Grill and Terrace is well known for offering a personalized fine dining experience paired with charming ambiance. The dining room enjoys an eclectic décor with an inviting zinc bar, sofas in front of a wood burning fireplace and white linen covered tables creating a look of understated elegance. It is a perfect place for a private tête-à-tête, special celebration, business event or wedding. The Terrace, open year round, offers spectacular vistas of the city skyline and a cheerful atmosphere with summertime inspired décor and artifacts. A cocktail or dinner on the terrace comes with the promise of a carefree and relaxed evening. Both rooms are located on the fifth floor of a century old warehouse building in the heart of the Entertainment District and are accessed by an ancient, concierge operated elevator.
Toronto
“A bit like eating in Niagara Falls”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Having never been to the Fifth, other than to go to the club, we decided to try dinner there. Upon entering, I’ll admit it was strange to see the club functioning as a restaurant; where the bouncer welcomes you in and the person selling tickets brings you to an elevator. The club’s dance floor was spruced up with extra furniture and the pillars covered with white veils.
The restaurant itself is located on the fifth floor, hence the name, and you get to it through an old fashioned elevator complete with operator. It’s quite large with an indoor dining area and outdoor terrace. The dining room is classically decorated with white, tons of light fixtures and comfy chairs. The only odd décor was a mini disco ball hanging from the middle of one fixture which was whimsical but also tacky.

An amuse, a tomato caeser shooter, arrived as soon as we sat down. Not being a caeser fan, I tried it nevertheless - it was thick and garlicky without the zing of horseradish but could be refreshing on a summer day. A basket of bread arrives after ordering, soft French bread but cold so nothing crazy

My appetizer, the house cured bacon and summer melon salad, was beautifully presented. A combination of sweet melons, sour balsamic and slightly salty and smoky bacon, the salad was certainly flavourful. I enjoyed the thick cut bacon but could have done without the balsamic glaze over it as with the citrus vinaigrette the dish was a little sour for my taste.

While viewing what other diners were eating, the striploin appeared to be the overwhelming favourite so I chose that as well. A generous portion of steak arrives which dwarfs the small square of sweet potato gratin and sprinkle of French beans beside it. The steak itself wasn’t the best cut; mine was unevenly sliced which caused half the steak to be perfectly cooked at medium rare but the other half extremely rare. I also wish the Fifth invested in better steak knives as it became difficult to cut through the thicker rare part.

A pat of bercy butter - butter mixed with shallots, parley and white wine - sat on the steak. It needed more herbs as it’s supposed to add a burst of flavours to the steak but really just tasted like unsalted butter with specks of parsley. The beans were good, thin and crispy, I wish there were more of them! However, the sweet potato gratin arrived luke warm and seemed like a bit of an afterthought.

I ended with the vanilla panna cotta which didn’t really taste like panna cotta. It was a thicker and creamier consistency than most, but I enjoyed the richness. The strawberry rhubarb sauce wasn’t too sweet so really lightened up the dish. The dessert was the highlight dish of the night, which is disappointing for someone who likes savoury dishes more.

I was surprised the Fifth’s Summerlicious offer was priced at $45, which is normally reserved for the fancier restaurants in Toronto. The Fifth simply doesn’t have the same polish and food quality that you would expect for a place charging $45. It may be a strange comparison, but I felt like eating at the Fifth was similar to eating on the Niagara Falls strip – overpriced but satisfactory food. Service was great at the beginning with the person at the entrance enthusiastically welcoming us and the attentiveness of the gentlemen operating the elevator; but the service in the restaurant seemed lack luster in comparison. The food was decent but not amazing.

It was a bit strange they keep plates of food on tables between the elevator/bathroom and dining room before serving. While visiting the restrooms I could see the various plates left there with slips of paper marking the table. Somehow, it feels a little unhygienic and it certainly means the food is not under heating lamps and gets cold while waiting to be presented.

On the plus side, having dinner at the Fifth Grill and Terrace does get you admission into the club, so you avoid lines and cover. So, it’s a good option if you’re looking to go out dancing to burn off calories afterwards.

To see pictures accompanying the above please visit http://gastroworldblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-fifth-grill-and-terrace-toronto.html

• Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
“The Best Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant in Toronto. It is only open Thursday, Friday & Saturday, but worth the wait. Beautiful food, attentive service. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2013
toronto
“Beautiful setting, poor service”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We made reservations for the rooftop patio. It is a beautiful, romantic setting - hard to beat in Toronto. Had very slow service, the table next to us had servers falling over them but we hardly got acknowledged (they were five 50+ men in suits... us 2 20 somethings....) Food was above average, not cheap. Would come again for the location only.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank m n
London, Ontario, Canada
“They really tried”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

So we were going out for my birthday dinner. My wife was taking me anywhere and I found The Fifth Grill. Looked to be a nice place and a unique setting on the rooftop of a building in downtown Toronto. When we arrived we were escorted in the back door to a freight elevator with an attendant, that took us up to the restaurant (very exclusive) and again, unique. We were seated over looking the street and the restaurant was nice and well decorated. We had a bottle of Gemtree Tiger's Eye Shiraz. Fantastic wine, and there were notable others on the menu. I'd like to give you a long drawn out review of fantastic food but it wasn't. The wine was the best part. Two beef filets that weren't cooked right. Appetizers with little or no flavour and a baked alaska with too much cognac. Now, I must say, the server was fantastic. As were the busboys and secondary servers. But the food lacked a wow factor, oh, and flavour. The baked alaska did come with a happy birthday on it and when my wife wanted some lobster with her steak they did do up a surf and turf plate for her. The whole meal wasn't bad. It just wasn't great. For the price of the meal, it should have been great. Try it for the experience. I might again, but for that money, it's hard to gamble, again.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The Fifth is my absolute favorite restaurant in Toronto. Dined here last night with my husband and our friends after not coming here for several years. It was better than I remembered. We really wanted to host our wedding here but they only have the space to accommodate smaller weddings, however I do think that the Fifth Grill would be an absoloutly beautiful choice for a wedding reception.

We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. We were seated in the dining room but my husband prefers the terrace. We asked to be moved to the terrace and we were promptly and cheerfully accommodated. We ordered oysters and gravlax as appetizers and both were outstanding. My husband ordered the steak tartar and felt it was the spiced perfectly, was so fresh and the best he's had.

My husband had the flat iron steak, and our friends had the filet Mingnon, everyone loved their steak. I had the fish special, that night it was grilled tuna - wasn't the best I've had but still very good. We also ordered fries, onion rings and broccolini and all were so delicious! We also had Baked Alaska, cheese plate, chiffon cake, and cheesecake for dessert. All were soooooo good except the chiffon cake - was a bit heavy for a chiffon cake. The Baked Alaska was the best Ive had.

Service was top notch and the funky elevator ride in what must be Toronto's oldest freight elevator still in Service was really neat.

We will be back, and it is among our top choices for entertaining clients or special guests, special occasions or just a nice dinner out!

• Visited April 2013