“Good, but not great”
Review of Salt

Salt
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #380 of 9,074 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Dundas street
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great atmosphere, but food was so-so. Quite expensive for small tapas. Average about $14. We got 6 dishes + a bottle of semi-expensive wine (around $55). The bill was $160 excluding tip. I loved the vibe, but the food needs improvement.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

A really great tapas place in an up and coming area. Try the "new bond" cocktail..if only to see the flaming lemon zest!
Great cosy decor.. Good for friends gathering or a couple. Lots of cool bars and places to relax post dinner.
Food was awesome. Duck confrit was primo. The frites are a must have also...
The boar tacos and angus beef tacos were a hit as well.
Waiter was very helpful in suggesting items for the table and the bar tenders were a hoot!

Definitely worth the visit.

1  Thank travelcato
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We popped into Salt because we were headed to a bar on Ossington and wanted a place with tapas and wine. Enter Salt Wine Bar - exactly what we were looking for! Friday night at 8:30 and somehow they could rustle us up a table in the otherwise packed restaurant/bar. While we were waiting, the man behind the bar (in an amazing pink pink-striped blazer, over a vest/tie combo) offered to craft us a cocktail. Yea sure - I told him I disliked only two thing, gin and tequila, and he could go to town otherwise. We were seated and he brought our cocktails over...and guess what, mine had gin in it! Apparently, he wanted to "turn" me into a gin drinker. However, he was totally fine replacing my drink with something I liked - and it was DELISH...some concoction with vodka, ginger soda, fresh-pressed orange, a dash of maple syrup (yes you read that right). Let's just say it was delicious, so much so that I ordered another one, despite my suspicion that they were gonna cost $20 a pop (given the slightly high prices on the tapas, some of which were the price an entree should be). You can imagine my surprise when we got the bill and they were labeled "$10 bartender cocktail"...basically, you let the mixologist go to town and you get a pretty cheap craft cocktail!

The food was all absolutely delicious - mushroom crustinis, arugula salad, duck raviolo. If we had been in a wine mood, I'm sure we would have left very happy considering the decor is wooden wine boxes and bottles upon bottles of wine.

Overall VERY pleasant experience, and I'm so happy we randomly stopped in. Would recommend for sure if you are in the Ossington area.

1  Thank Ali K
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The first time we visited Salt, it was half an hour before opening time. But they graciously opened the door and let us in for a drink. As we liked that gesture and because we enjoyed chatting to the staff behind the bar, we booked for a birthday celebration.

The birthday dinner was very good. Even though it was packed on a Saturday evening, service was cheerful and attentive. The food came quickly too.

The menu consists of tapas but most portions are quite generous and will serve three easily. The food is varied and consistently good. If you're not watching the budget, let your server choose for you.

The wine list is interesting too - we had a very good Portugese red on the advice of our server.

None of this comes cheap of course - dinner for six with wine was just over $100/head - but it's worthwhile for an occasion.

2  Thank ral999
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I get the tapas thing....but I think it's not really my thing. I'm Jamaican & we like big food, big flavours. Splitting tiny portions or subtlely flavoured foods - wasn't really us.
3 of us went to Salt and had about 6 or 7 dishes between us. We had wanted to have 2 dishes each (& not share them), but the waiter talked us into tapas style and sharing everything. The food was very high-quality, and my lower rating isnt their fault. They deliver what they claim to - but at the end of the day, we were all pretty hungry. The salad was phenomenal - I wished I had stuck to my guns & had it all to myself. I enjoyed the fish tacos also.
The server was extremely knowledgeable about both the food & the wine. This really was a high quality restaurant - but not for everyone.

1  Thank Karen T