“Good food with terrible service”
Review of Cantine Bistro & Bar - CLOSED

Cantine Bistro & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Davenport
Transit: Bay bus north from Bay Subway station exit Davenport@Avenue Road Avenue Road Bus north from Museum Subway Exit Avenue Road@Davenport
Toronto, Canada
“Good food with terrible service”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went to Cantine for brunch with a friend who visited us from South America on Sunday, Oct 28. We ordered food and saw people even arrived after we placed the ordered finished their foods. We asked our server politely if he is able to check our order. His response was "nothing need to check. When the food is ready, he will serve us the food". We were speechless because we were too surprise of his response. Then we waited another 10 more minutes and checked with him again. We explained to him we understand when the food is ready, he will serve us, but we wanted to find out if the ordered is missed in the kitchen. He then told us "he is not the cook, he can't tell when the food is ready. when it is ready, he will send the food to us". Then we gave up, not to ask him again. Fortunately, we had our food with another 5 mins wait.
Honestly, the food were good. For the service, other servers might be better. May be it was our bad luck to have a server not having good mood on that day. But I don't want to find out. I believe I will not visit Cantine again, not only because of the bad service, but also the disorganized kitchen.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Totorotaka

• Indonesian first
“no fuss, good food”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Cantine is a neighbourhood restaurant. You can easily slip around there if you feel like a treat or can't be bothered to cook, even if you don't have a reservation. The food is tasty, served quickly with delicious bread. i almost always order a pasta dish here as the ambience is comfortable and comfort food seems appropriate. Sometimes there are interesting seafood and pasta options on the specials menu. The wait staff are friendly and the wine list is appropriate for a bistro, with reasonable choices by the glass or carafe. You will leave freshly fortified for the evening and you will not feel robbed.

Toronto, Canada
“Good food, great location”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I enjoy their lunch menu. My fave is their salmon. It's soft and buttery, the way that salmon should be. I also went there once during summerlicious...it was ok but definitely worth the $15 price. Overall, I prefer sticking to their regular menu.

Visited August 2012
“Terrible.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family and I went to Cantine for brunch this past Sunday and were treated to 2 hours of the rudest service I have ever experienced at a dining establishment in my life.

Our sour and totally awful server seemed annoyed from the moment he approached our table and more so when some of the diners asked for decaf coffee- he seemed genuinely upset to have to walk 5 steps to the bar to get the urn of decaf coffee. he practically threw our bread basket at us and then proceeded to take our orders.

Each of us had slight modifications to our meal which our very unfriendly server assured us were not an issue at all. For example, I asked for my omlette to be made with 1 egg yolk and the rest egg white and he replied that this was totally doable and people asked for it all the time.

EVERY single plate that arrived at the table was wrong. I received and egg white omlette with french fries instead of my half yolk omlette with potato and this was the case for each plate. Even my mother in law, who expressed a severe gluten intolerance, had her order done wrong and had gluten on her plate.

When we voiced our issues, the VERY VERY VERY rude server, looking VERY annoyed, whisked our plates to the back and very obviously just moved things around between us- my plate actually came back with 4 small pieces if potato and still had a few french fries under the omlette- this was, to me, totally unprofessional and unappetizing and dangerous for someone who had clearly indicated a life-threatening allergy.

My omlette looked like scrambled eggs, my 4 tiny potatoes were undercooked and the toast basket was cold.

At the end of the meal, we expressed our concerns again just to let the server know how unhappy we were and his actual response was "well, your orders were very hard for the kitchen"

No apology, nothing. As if his mistakes were our own faults despite him having assured us that our orders were totally manageable.

This was, by far, the worst brunch I have ever had and the servers/ owners of this establishment should be totally ashamed of themselves.

1 Thank JoHan155019
Chicago, IL
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Dined here for the first time while visiting Toronto. We were a group of 5 and I think that overall we were satisfied with our meal. I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli and this was okay. My husband had the pasta and scallops entree. He ate it all, but he was pretty hungry. We didn't bother to have dessert. The restaurant is so noisy that you literally cannot hear the person across from you. We had a glass of wine with our entrees, but no salad or dessert. Cost per person was about $40 with taxes and tip.

1 Thank MomRocco