“Medicore Overpriced Food!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bathurst Street
Transit: King Street Car (east/west) - exit at Bathurst Bathurst Street Car (north/south) - exit at Wellington
Description: An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went there on a Saturday night and although a vibrant atmosphere the restaurant decor was drab and the experience was subpar. I ordered a drink and an entree as did my friend and the bill was way over $100 and the food was alright. I had the duck confit ravioli and my friend the pork tenderloin and both were extremely overrated. The pasta was over cooked and the filling had an unpleasant texture. The pork was moist but lacked flavour. The martini was watered down and it was just a waste of an evening. I will not go back EVER or recommend this restaurant. Service was good nothing extraordinary.

1  Thank TorontoMoi81

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We dined here with another couple about a week ago. The food ranged from very good to great. The service was outstanding. We let our server (Akbar) choose a selection of starters for us of his favorites and they were amazing. The tuna, polenta and scallops were particularly yummy. We followed with small portions of the signature pasta dish (a simple spaghetti with tomato sauce that was excellent) and then on to the main courses which again were great. The room is big and very comfortable - we were at a banquette so lots of room and the tables are well spaced so you are not particularly close to anyone else. There was a large and somewhat noisy private party just behind the screen near our table. The manager was conscious of the possible annoyance and asked (when things became a bit loud) if we would like to move to another part of the restaurant - we declined but it was a good to be asked. The wine list is extensive and again, superb. The nicest bit of all was to be asked if we wanted to take our after dinner drink upstairs and escorted to the roof top bar which has one of the best views of the city in Toronto. All in all a great evening. Somewhat expensive - but worth it. Felt like a night out in a different city. The manager - a lovely Scottish man - and our servers - were particularly helpful throughout and made it an excellent experience. We will definitely return.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Another great meal during Winterlicious. Love this restaurant. The food is always consistent, service always good. One of my top five in Toronto.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

i just want to say that this restaurant exceeded all expectations, we went for a simple winterlicious dinner and decided to take a look at the a la carte menu aswell, both menus were terrific!

we had the winterlicous menu, portions sizes were quite generous. we also tried the scallops and the black cod, everything was cooked perfectly and was delicious.

this place sometimes gets a bad reputation but if you actually know a thing or two about food quality and service you will enjoy every point of your dining experience.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

... otherwise, I would have been more honest and complained about the mediocre service and food quality. But instead, knowing that I was with a business associate and on company expense, I just took it and remained professional.

I had a business associate staying in the hotel the restaurant is located in. Since it was a cold winter night, we both decided to just dine in the hotel instead of trek to other restaurants in the city. She made the reservation from her room and so it was clear she was a hotel guest, though I am a local.

The restaurant was relatively empty. They have special seating in circular table settings which are more appealing, but instead we were seated toward the back of the empty restaurant, next to the service area for all the staff. I wonder why ... we are young, hip, classy and properly dressed!

The menu seemed exciting enough ... words always make a great impression. But the realities were mediocre. So disappointing. I was so excited for my squash soup, but it came to me warm, not hot, and it tasted like I was in a banquet luncheon for 500 people in a huge hotel ballroom. It was so "common"! My entree, I already forgot! Easy to forget when things don't leave an impression.

My co-diner was not impressed as well. She hardly finished her food, though she was famished. I did clear most of my plate since I was totally starving, having had just a small breakfast and no lunch all day. Moreover, I knew the prices were going to be alot so I figured ... just eat as much as you can to make the most of it. But what a disappointment.

By the way, the runner, at both times (for the appetizers and entrees) gave our dishes to the wrong person. Twice! Clearly not correct communication with the waiter. Unacceptable in this level of restaurant. Moreover, waiters need to be trained on when to interrupt diners and when to check and butt in as diners converse. Always wrong timing! No consideration whatsoever. She just wanted to get her face time done and complete. Same for the matre d'. I know it's a small thing, but establishments like this need to train their staff properly. So sad.

I will have to admit however, that the glass of wine we had was superb, and the desserts were great as well. But that was it.

In the end, we were so professional and even left a decent tip. But we are professionals and did not want to make a big deal of what actually is a huge deal. Then again, thank God our company was paying for this, for I would not have taken any of this if it were from my own pocket.

Scarpetta ... what a shame.

2  Thank argnyc