“WINTERLICIOUS - GREAT DEAL.”
Review of Scarpetta- Toronto - CLOSED

Scarpetta- Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bathurst Street
Transit: King Street Car (east/west) - exit at Bathurst Bathurst Street Car (north/south) - exit at Wellington
Description: An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Scarpetta does have a "be seen" image and looking at other reviews seems pricey... but i gotta tell you... Winterlicious at $45 is a great deal.
App of braised short rib.. bibs packed full of flavor, rissotto bland, but put the two together.., very rich.
Main of pork tenderloin wrapped in pancetta, very tender, cooked just over pink, very tasty.
And dessert, what used to be called a choc molten cake, name isn't so fashionable now but still same dish!! Soft, moist and wow!! Rich, decadant and wow!! Just FAB!!! Not sure about the burnt orange ice cream.. but a great dessert.
Nice bott of red for $50, and Perseco little over priced at $70... but very nice!!
Overall a great meal, restaurant quite busy and not so loud, could have easy conversations around the table.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My food was actually above average so the overall average review is more a reflection of the whole experience falling short of expectations - or perhaps just not my style of dining. I ate the pasta, partially because other menu items were no longer available when we sat down. Like the Thompson Hotel itself, this is a place buzzing with people excited about spending their time at a trendy spot - priorities that the restaurant embraces surely to the appreciation of its average clientele, but not me.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Friends have been to Scarpetta several times and raved about it - so we had to try it. We came on a Saturday evening in the dead of winter.

Although we were told when we called that the earliest reservation we could have was 8:30 there were a number of empty tables apparently available. Some restaurants like to space out seatings, so pejhaps that is the case here. No big deal.

The food was very good as expected, especially the polenta with truffled mushrooms appetizer - truly delicious - and the pork tenderloin entree - melt in your mouth.

Service was perfunctory at best and slow. We were in no rush, so again no problem here, but several times waits between courses seemed excessive.

The room is very modern, fairly large, very open and very, very noisy. The restaruant is right next to the lobby bar of the Thompson Hotel and this place seems to be a favoured hangout. It was very crowded when we left and music (recorded - not live) was also being playing very loudly. With the door to the restaurant kept opened (??) all that noise easily cascaded into the restaurant and reverberated off the high ceilings, hard wood floors and glass walls. Add to this all the people in the restaurant trying to be heard at their own tables. We were seated at a two-person corner table and had trouble hearing each other. I can only imagine how difficult conversation must have been in the centre of the room.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Sometimes when you spend $500 on a meal for three you come away feeling ripped off. In other cases, though, the money is well spent, and that's how we felt after a meal at Scarpetta. The restaurant is in the Thompson Hotel in Toronto, where we were staying as part of a last-minute family trip on what happened to be my birthday. The service was immaculate from the start. My wife had an excellent tuna starter while my daughter and I shared a good salami plate after the server advised that a plate each would be too much. He recommended an excellent Italian wine for $60 after I looked at the wine list, saw many bottles priced much higher, and asked him to choose one that wouldn't bankrupt us. My wife and I both had a superb spiced duck breast as the main course while my daughter had a pasta dish with a sausage she said was too salty. For dessert I had an excellent cinnamon cheesecake which came complete with a candle and "Happy Birthday" written on the plate in chocolate sauce. The server also gave us a second glass of dessert wine for free. It was a great way to spend a birthday evening far from home.

1  Thank Faience44
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I was very disappointed by my meal here. I had heard fabulous things about this restaurant so I was very excited to try it... In my opinion it was over priced pasta. The truffle polenta is the best thing on the menu, HANDS DOWN! And probably one of the best polenta dishes I've ever had but the service wasn't memorable, the dessert selection was awful, and my main course, which had lobster in it, was very fishy and not enjoyable. I left still feeling hungry and very unsatisfied. I wouldn't go back.