“A very nice new addition to T.O's luxury hotel scene, but still has lots of room to grow” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto

Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto
Ranked #3 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at the Trump Hotel, on July the 12th, while celebrating a friend’s birthday. This is the very first Trump Hotel in Canada, and it is indeed a great new hotel. The decor and feel of the place, is very original to Toronto, and definitely has "wow" factor to it. I did enjoy my stay at the Trump Toronto, here below is a list of highlights and some downfalls the hotel has. But the hotel is very much not perfect and it has some room to grow.

Highlights:

1. Good central location, in the middle of it all (the only 5 star hotel in the centre of the city's financial core, yet is close enough to other interesting sites/tourist attractions).

2. Very original decor/ambiance - very Hollywood glam/somewhat of a gothic/European feel, with Asian accents (lots of Cheery blossom designs). Very moody and very luxe, after all this is the Trump. Would I want to live here, no but the decor is still nice.

3. Nicely decorated suites with lots of natural light, but do make sure to get a room/suite on a higher floor with a corner location, to get decent views.

4. Very cool touch-screen panel to control all lights and drapes in the suite. I loved this!

5. Nice bathroom with lots of marble, great lighting and an excellent shower head with great water pressure.

6. My suite had pretty good city views, for a downtown city hotel.

7. Lots of space in the suite (mine was over 900 sq ft.) and is very well soundproofed, which is fantastic when staying in a busy city.

8. Great service most of the time (staff are eager to please and are fairly efficient for such a busy hotel).

9. The concierge service is excellent at all times, and it was the highlight of my stay (by far one of the best concierge teams that I have ever encountered at a 5-star hotel). It was fantastic to talk to them.

10. Excellent food quality, using the freshest ingredient, as this is reflecting in the pricing (I had breakfast in my room).

11. Exceptional in-room dining service over the phone, very professional.

12. Great beds, very very comfy.

Concerns:

1. I had checked into my room, well after the check-in time (I arrived to the hotel just before 5:30pm) and was placed in the wrong suite category - and it wasn’t an upgrade.
- When I had inquired about the mix-up, I had received a snooty response (complete denial) from a front desk agent, and had to make it clear to him that I was not happy with the room I was in.
- Long story short, the front office manager finally came up and did help me to be moved to the correct suite that I had originally booked.
- So because of this, I wasted almost 30-45 minutes of my time, talking to different people, waiting around to having to look at another suite, and for the bellman to show up to help me move my stuff.
- This should have never had happened, considering the time I came in (remember it was well after the check-in time, 5:30pm). Very bizarre.
- I got no real apology from the manager or even an explanation as to what did happened and why I was placed in a room category below the one I booked at.

2.The feeling of being nickeled and dimed at times:
- Everything here is very, very expensive, so beware (at times its ridiculous).
- The spa is overrated and is totally overpriced (with no pool/spa amenities for guests to use, at present time). As the pool is still under construction (it’s been almost 6 months and counting - since the hotel’s opening).
- I hated the fact that when I requested to have some (standard tea-light) candles to be placed in my suite, I was told that there would be a fee of $25+ to “use” the candles. I never asked to keep them, so what’s the charge for? Service charge, I’m assuming, haha. They would never do this at the Ritz-Carlton or at the Four Seasons or anywhere else I have been too, that’s a 5-star hotel. When I had checked-out, I was reminded of the charge and mentioned to the agent that, I had never even used them and of course I got some attitude for questioning the charge. This should never happen, when staying at a 5-star hotel and when one is paying $600+ a night.

3. Lack of warmth:
- Even though the design of the hotel is very impressive and grand, I find it personally to trendy and “cool” at times. For example, the lobby area is very small for a hotel of its size and it is very busy most of the time. So you feel somewhat on display, as there is nowhere else to go, except up or to the very closed-off and small lobby lounge.
- Second example: The spa and restaurant is on the same floor. What? I’m very sure those who are in the spa can hear the thumping music from the restaurant, during the busy lounge/dinner hours. Very poorly designed/thought-out layout.
- Third example: There is a lot of black threw out the hotel, and the public bathrooms are very, very dark/moody and is way too dark to see anything, it’s like a black hole. I found this interesting at first, but found it to be not very appealing after the shock factor.

4. Other service issues:
- I did not receive any turndown service (I did receive some bottled water, when I had to ask about it, and again got more attitude from front desk). I do believe that because of the room change made, front desk probably didn’t/or had forgotten to advise housekeeping about the changes being made.
- The in-room dining service was a little bit sloppy. When the server came into the room, she just left the trolley in the middle of the room and didn’t help me much with finding a comfortable place to eat. Once she left, I had to move stuff around and almost tripped onto the glass coffee table/lounge chairs.
- Housekeeping was somewhat sloppy in the bathroom, when cleaning the bathtub, as I found scuff marks all over the sides of the tub – kinda gross.

All in all, I did have an enjoyable stay at the Trump, however their where some inconsistencies that should have not happened for the prices they charge and the name they stand for. Hopefully with time, the hotel will mature a little more into what Trump Hotels are really known for, that is the best of the best. Happy travels while in Toronto.

Room Tip: Get a corner room on a high floor for the best views and sunlight.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wowtravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed at many Hotels around the world and have to say that none have impressed me as much as the Trump Toronto! Not only is it the most sophisticated hotel in terms of design but more importantly it is the most sophisticated in service! The staff at this hotel is passionate, genuine and extremely knowledgeable. They made me feel at home and everyone knew my name. Angela at the Front Office even offered to walk me to my room. Talk about a personal touch!

I also loved the Trump Attache service. The Attache agent contacted me after I made a reservation to find out all about my preferences so they could customized my stay. I had mentioned that I loved chocolate and to my surprise, there was the most delicious homemade chocolate bar on a guillotine awaiting me. I was told that all the chocolate is made in-house in their chocolate lab. Now that is a treat!

The rooms are very spacious and the attention to detail is just incredible. This hotel has clearly been designed for the comfort and convenience of today’s traveler.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience true 5* service. Thank you Trump Team and I cannot wait to return! You have made a lasting impression.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lux T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Service was great (although somewhat scripted). Top notch hotel. Make sure to take advantage of the included shoe shine. Will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: There's abox in the closet. Stick your shoes in them and they come back polished!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Spent two nights. A break from reality for my husband and me Beautiful rooms. Bed and especially the pillows were so comfy. Bathroom was outstanding. Staff was beyond helpful and polite.
Georgeous little extras in the room to feel truly pampered.
A little pricey for an average couple to spend for a nice little get away. Parking was $50.00 per day which I find quit overpriced.
I was so totally disappointed to find out once we had checked in that the pool was not open as of yet. The Donald truly let me down on this one. Was so looking forward to some quiet pool time.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank catherine_010157
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife bid and won a three night stay at The Trump Toronto Hotel. She works in the financial industry and has traveled the world. She also makes it a point to stay in the best hotels available. Simply put, she said it was the finest "hotel experience" she had ever had. Why? From the moment you arrive and are greeted by the doorman you are treated with the finest service. They will cater to your every whim at any time. The rooms are excellent, the service is great and fast, the food is great, the hotel location (in the heart of the city) is perfect etc,etc,etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John C
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Trump Toronto in early Spring for my birthday, and it was a fabulous experience. The decor was stunning, the service was impeccable, and the accommodations were truly beautiful. We honestly felt like royalty - we'll definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was our first stay at the Trump Tower Hotel and we will be back! From the moment we stepped out of the car, the personalized service and overwhelming attention to our every need was fabulous. We travel extensively around the world and the Trump is a highlight. Our room was gorgeous, they have not miss a beat with amenities and luxury. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast at Stock and again, service and attention to detail was most apparent. Never did we feel rushed or annoyed, simply perfection when it comes to a hotel stay that is well worth the price. Bravo Trump team on this incredible addition to the Toronto downtown, we will see you again soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple