“Amazing Experience (Especially Melinda!)”

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I booked a Valentine's Day overnight at the Ritz Carlton as we were expecting a baby and wanted to celebrate. We had previously stayed at the Ritz (the night we got engaged as well as on our honeymoon) so it is a special place for us. Once again our experience was perfect! The room was beautiful and comfortable, the pool is stunning and the staff goes above and beyond. In particular, the woman who checked us in, Melinda, was exceptional and proved to us once again why the Ritz is well worth the money! When Melinda found out we were expecting she was very happy for us and we had a great chat with her. Later that afternoon she sent us up a personalized gift and a lovely and heartfelt card expressing how happy she was for us. We have stayed in many nice hotels all over the world but service like this is not something that you see very often. It is people like Melinda that solidify our loyalty to the Ritz Carleton. There is no doubt that we will be returning often for special celebrations for years to come!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed June 1, 2014

From check in to check out, everything was flawless. We had a beautiful room on a high floor with THE BEST view of the CN Tower. Watching the tower change colors at night was a peaceful and fun bedtime distraction. Our son just loved it! The location is perfect and right in the middle of all the tourist attractions. One could walk to the Hockey Hall of Fame, CN Tower and Ripley's Aquarium. We stayed in the middle of January and the temperature was hovering just above 0 degrees. We were able to walk to almost everything even in freezing weather, it was that centrally located. The building is very modern and our son loved the TV's in the bathroom mirror. He made good use of them while taking a bath at night. The front door staff are incredibly knowledgeable and lots of advice on what to see and where to go. Just ask and they will be happy to share their tips with you. Hot tea in the lobby each afternoon was a nice touch after a long cold day. The large indoor pool was great and well equipped with pool noodles and toys. We had the place to ourselves each night and we greatly enjoyed our time there each night. We ate dinner once in the lounge downstairs and had a great meal. The food was well priced and they had a good variety. Overall, we would not hesitate to stay there again and really enjoyed our stay. The Ritz is doing all the right things here!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in one the newly-designed Simcoe Suite, and it certainly did not disappoint. It is flawless designed and well worth the expense.

Highlights:
- Jaw-dropping designer suite with lots of space, natural light, great views of the lake / waterfront, luxe Ritz-beds, posh bathroom with one of the only hotels to have a TOTO / Japan-style toilet.

- Wonderful service, as expected. There where some excellent staff members that did above-and-beyond.

- Beautiful spa / pool area.

- The club lounge, is always a treat and was very nice to have a little nibble and relax after a long day out and about with friends. Lovely staff too, very friendlily and kind.

- Great breakfast room-service, flawless service actuality. Great service recovery.

Downfall:
- For a suite of this calibre, I would have expect a few thing: automated drapes (in this and age, this is now the standard / norm for most 5-star luxury hotels). Also would expect, fresh cut flowers, heated towel racks and other bath amenities choices given (like there property in Montreal). Sure these are minor, little things but for a suite of this price and calibre, I'd expect this.

- Service was a little hit-and-miss: occasional attitude given for special requests given over the phone, long wait during check-out, some staff looked a little stressed / overwhelmed as well. Again, minor things but of a hotel of this status, this should not have to be pointed out.

- The concierge team, was not as friendlily as remembered in the past, found some staff a little cold (this time around). Maybe since the hotel was sold out, they where all a little overwhelmed? Not really sure why, but I just found it odd.

All in all, this is a wonderful hotel and the Simcoe suite is was by far the nicest suite, I have ever stayed in the city of Toronto. I just wish the service was a little more polished for a hotel of the standard.

If you can, splurge and go for the Simco Suite, you will not regret it. Never the less, any rooms and suite are very nice too. It's a great destination hotel to relax, savour and unwind.

Room Tip: - Any corner suite or splurge for the Sinmco Suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wowtravels
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here for one night over memorial day weekend. Service was impeccable, and the room was perfect. When checking in, was upgraded to a higher floor and they also gave us with a bottle of champagne as a treat when we returned after being out for dinner. Purchased deal through Jetsetter as a mystery deal, and was quite pleased that I did, because was able to get a 5 star hotel at a 3 star price! Also in a pretty good location, we walked to a number of places and its just around the corner from the CN tower.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Ritz Carlton Toronto is conveniently located downtown, and is within easy walking distance of the CN Tower, Rogers Centre and the Air Canada Centre.

After a long red eye flight and arriving at the hotel around 7:00 AM, I was hopeful that my room would be ready for me. I had emailed the hotel earlier advising them of my early arrival, and hoping that a room would be ready for me.

The hotel is somewhat easy to spot from afar as The Ritz Carlton sign has a pink background which can be seen from blocks away.

Unlike every other Ritz Carlton property that I have been to, there was no doorman to greet you and open the door for arriving guests. There is a revolving door and two side doors to enter the hotel.

There is complimentary coffee, tea and muffins in the lobby during early morning hours, which is a classy touch.

The check-in desk is to the far left. The front desk agent was pleasant. Upon inquiring if it was possible to check-in that early, she informed me that there was a room available, but it was a double room instead of the king I had requested. Since my goal was to take a quick shower before heading to Niagara Falls I said that it would not be a problem.

She did not recognize my being a Ritz Carlton rewards member, or even describe any features of the hotel other than the elevators being “around the corner and to the left.”

The hotel is fairly new, being built in 2011. The hallways are elegantly decorated.

Upon entering the room, the bathroom is located to the right.

There are double sinks with fairly limited counter space. To the side of each sink there are also several shelves which help to provide extra space for your toiletries.

There is a separate tub.

The shower is fairly small, and only a little larger than a phone booth.

The toilet is also placed in a fairly small space.

Across from the bathroom is a large closet with an iron, ironing board and bathrobes.

Next to that is the coffee maker, snack items for sale and the mini bar. I find it somewhat unusual that the Ritz Carlton has a coffee maker that only makes one cup at a time, and features nameless coffee. One would expect a Nespresso or illy coffee maker for a high end property.

Upon entering the bedroom, there is a dresser and TV, as well as a fairly large desk with ample working space.

The beds are super comfortable with high quality linens that are super soft. Outlets were within easy reach of each bed which is a huge plus.

There is a single chair in the corner with a small coffee table.

I was given a room with a view of the CN Tower, Rogers Centre and Lake Ontario. Views of the CN Tower at night are fabulous when lit up at night.

Rooms were going for about $500 a night during my stay, but thanks to the Ritz Carlton promotion last year in which two paid stays resulted in a free night at a Tier 1-3 property, this was a great use of the two free nights I was able to secure during the promotion.

Although recognition of Ritz Carlton/Marriott Rewards members could use a big improvement, especially for those with Gold or Platinum status, the ability to check-in a half day early and the great location made up for any oversights from the front desk.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Check-in was fantastic and an upgrade was a welcome surprise.
The room itself was good except for the dust everywhere and hair left in the bathroom.
However the worst experience was the treatment I received from the staff. When I asked for additional towels I was treated with the utmost disrespect and like a second class citizen. Any goodwill that I felt for the Ritz was eliminated by this experience.
Subsequent follow-up with the hotel resulted in no resolution.
My advice is to stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank CEBYYT
TimTerceira, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Cyril B,
thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us and I am terribly disappointed to learn that we did not provide you with an exceptional experience. I know we have tried to contact you in person so we can learn more about what happened and more importantly to apologize in person and to see how we can rebuild your trust.

Warm regards and thank you for giving us this opportunity

Tim Terceira

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Enjoyed a great weekend in Toronto at the Ritz. The spa and pool facilities are outstanding.

Helpfully staff and a great location. Central to all major attractions in Toronto.

We had a corner suite that was large enough to entertain friends before going out for a night on the town.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple